Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Should "Update Music Library" automatically clean after?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey

When updating the music library in the past it hasn't removed music I've deleted from the source and I have needed to "Clean Library" manually. I notice there's an advanced setting for the video library "cleanonupdate" but curiously not for music.

Is it expected that the clean should be performed manually?

Cheers
Jamie
Yes, the reason this is not automatically done is that if the source is offine, for example files are stored on a nas which is turned off, then the contents of the Library will be wiped as the presence of the source can't be detected.
There IS a setting for automatic cleaning after an update. Just use the following in your advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<musiclibrary>
    <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</musiclibrary>

In earlier versions of XBMC, the music library was cleaned automatically. At some point (Gotham?) this behaviour was changed. If all your music sources are always available (local,reliable NAS etc.) you can restore this behaviour with this change in advancedsettings.xml.
thanks PH-SYM

you're quite right - got this working; seems odd there's not an option to set it under basic kodi settings.

also odd that this apparently isn't mentioned in the advanced settings guidance i.e.

http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.xml#musicthumbs
Just a heads up that there are bugs in the way cleanonupdate works in Krypton and before. These have been fixed for v18 Leia, but the fix was not backported. See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11609

When this option is enabled songs on any offline sources are removed during library update as intended. However it accidentally prevents any subsequent scraping of additional album or artist information, and it fails to clean the library at all when no files are being scanned for tags (the file not having changed since last update). So if you find scraping does not seem to be working as expected then it could well be because you have this enabled.

I hope to review both those music settings that are in advancedsettings.xml and missing from settings UI for Leia. May even try to update the wiki - but nothing "odd" about it being missing, the wiki is very out of date in many places.
hi

thanks for mentioning that, appreciate it. might driven myself a little crazy trying to resolve that ..

perhaps 'inconsistent' would have been better than 'odd' - i just meant to observe that this info was mentioned in the videolibrary part of the wiki, but not the musiclibrary part.

makes sense that it works similarly in both of course.

if you were thinking of bringing this in as a setting on the main GUI that would seem to make sense to me. Presume the majority of people would want cleaning on update to default to ON, and the minority with content on removable media could have an option to disable it.

just my angle anyway many thanks