Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: M3U Playlist Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a playlist created by someone on the internet and I'm not sure if these are banned channels or not. My issue is, how to I modify this list so that I can add my OTA channels for my own regionHuh All the lists available out there does not help me or anyone else create a list for channels that are broadcast for free in my metro area. can ANYONE help with thisHuh This has been the most frustrating piece to this application and no one seems to be able to give a clear answer, only to point you to yet another add on that I don't need. I would like to see channels in my own time zone. If Kodi can present live tv without buying, additional equipment then there has to be a simple answerHuh

Thanks in advance for your assistance Smile
Well, are they channels you're paying for? Are they free to air and allowed to be freely distributed over the Internet?
hi piers.
just the free channels im referring to. i just want to get the local (abc, cbs etc) to play within kodi. when you say free to distribute over the Internet, does that mean that its possible that the local channels possibly can't be viewed even though i can view them with a regular antenna?
Piers is referring to channels that are not aired from the owner.
the most lists you are talking about are full of pirates channels.
are the channels you want to see available from the official site of the network?
being aired for free via air doesn't mean that they are available for free via internet.
here in italy as example rai channels are broadcasted via air and also from the internet site, mediaset only via antenna all eventual channel on the internet are pirated.
Peppe
It is silly, and there are people who are trying to change the laws in various places, but for the time being it would seem that to get ABC, CBS, NBC, etc, you have to put up an antenna (if you wish to be 100% legal).

A company called Aereo even tried to stream channels over the internet by giving each customer their own mini antenna, and the courts said no.

It's kind of crazy, since broadcast stations would actually benefit from these free re-broadcasts, as they make most of their money off of advertising space. Even when you consider the money they get from cable and satellite providers, it's still not as much as they get for commercials. So the more eyes watching the channel means more money for that channel. And yet for some reason, those channels don't want that to happen.
all of the local networks allow you to watch programming on the internet but its never live broadcasts unless its a special event they stream but rare nonetheless . so it seems the only solution is to get equipment and link it up with Kodi. the lists out there are not useful and id rather stay on the legal side of things. Its awesome that Kodi has the capability for live televison and perhaps one day the networks will see the benefit of allowing this to happen. thanks for all the input. this experience is highly educational for me.