Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: pleXBMC questions. Shared libraries? Benefits?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All

My apologies if these questions have been answered before, but wading through 20+ pages of search results on limited time was not an option.

I've been using dedicated XBMC (linux) boxes on my local network for years. They access my media on a dedicated storage server through an NFS share.
I also have a mySQL server running so that all the XBMC boxes have a shared library.

I've recently started using Plex as a means to access my media when not at home... working nights or on the road... and I've been pleased with it for this purpose.
Through Plex, I also have access to a couple friends shared libraries.

This brings me to pleXBMC. The information I've found online, does not show any benefit to using it over what I already have in place. Am I missing something?

The one thing that I would like to be able to do is access the libraries that my friends have shared with me... and I don't see that as an option. Again, is this something I've missed?

Many thanks in advance!

The Blue Dalek
The libraries that I share just show up in the menu, have you tried looking at the settings?
The only benefit that you will see is that not all boxes that run Kodi will run Plex reliably.
I've not actually installed it yet... I was trying to get information before I did.

So just to confirm, you friend Joe has shared a library with you... and you are able to browse it through the menu the same as your library?

Thanks again!
Yes, exactly the same.
Many thanks!
Ok, so I did a fresh install of KodiBuntu with Helix 14.1.. install PleXBMC and can find my own libraries.. but nowhere can I find the libraries that my friends have shared with me.

I'm assuming that I've missed something obvious?
I don't see any shared libraries either on both my XBMC installs via PleXBMC.
Still working for me on Kodi14 on RPi2 and Kodi15 on OS X.
Are you using 3.4.6-beta3?
Have you signed in to MyPlex?
All the other options I've left as standard.
I wasn't using 3.4.6-beta3, but after upgrading to this version, I can see shared libraries. Great... thanks!