Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Keymap Changes : Intentional, Mistake or Bug?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Back until maybe the Camelot days, backspace would do the 7 seconds backward jump. Then all of a sudden, it was changed and it was doing the same as TAB.

I had to add the functionality back by adding it to my custom Keymap.

Now with Kodi, Spacebar no longer accesses the playlist/now playing. In Gotham it works fine.

Is this intentional? If so, may i ask why?

Some people hardcode all the buttons on our remotes based on keyboard keys so it's kind of a pain to have remotes that don't do what they should all of a sudden. Like i did before, i guess i can just put back the functionality in my custom Keymap.xml but i am just curious to know if this is intentional or not and the reasoning behind it...

Cheers!

-Pr.
Yeah, it was a recent change. I think the thought was that "back" should remain a constant across the UI. The good news is v15 will have "additive seeking" where left/right can do multiple size seeks based on how fast you press the button. Press left once and it's -7. Press it twice and it's -30. And it's all configurable.
This should hopefully explain it, a quote from the Pull Request that applied the change

Quote:With current keymap, the <space> key is the default for pausing music and videos. But, if something is playing and you're in a music/video window (except fullscreen), then <space> is suddenly triggering the playlist and you have NO WAY to pause the currently playing item, because there is no fallback mapping for this.

Also, in other places switching to the playlist is done by pressing the <n> key. Having two ways to access the playlists + not being able to pause things anymore I suggest to change the keymaps so that playlists will always be triggered by pressing <n>, which also fixes the issue that you couldn't pause playing media anymore.

We are trying to improve consistency through the UI, so in the case of keymaps the same action should apply for a particular button/key press for any screen it is applicable to. So in the case of <space> there was a lack of consistency, as in some screens it would be used for pause and in others it would be used to access the Now Playing playlist. There has always been the global keymap of <n> available to all screens to access Now Playing thus the keymap for Now Playing was being duplicated, this added to the fact that <space> as pause was used in more places, it was thought the most logical thing to ensure consistency was to change the keymap so <space> would always pause.
Aaahhhh... This actually makes perfect sense because i do remember the annoyance of having to switch back to fullscreen to pause music.

I guess i'll take my medicine, install the MCE addon and add "n" to an unused key. Just got to let the household know that when using the keyboard, space no longer accesses the playlist and neither does the pause button on the remote.

Thanks guys!
See we don't always do things just to annoy users Big Grin