Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi does not support .rm files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have a couple of TV shows with .RM format. They are imported to library but I could not play it. It means Kodi does not support RM file? I do not have problem to play RMVB files. Those RM files are not damaged as I can play using other player. I installed RealAlternative, but Kodi still do not play RM files.

Any advices? If that cannot be done, is any software can convert RM to RMVB without quality loss?

Thanks
can you post the mediainfo of the file?
(2015-02-19, 06:20)Shogunreaper Wrote: [ -> ]can you post the mediainfo of the file?

See below:

General
Complete name : Z:\Video\TV\love family.ep071.ep072.RM
Format : RealMedia
File size : 76.3 MiB
Duration : 46mn 47s
Overall bit rate : 225 Kbps
Movie name : 71-72
Copyright : ?000

Video
ID : 1
Format : RealVideo 3
Codec ID : RV30
Codec ID/Info : Between H.263 and AVC (H.264), Real Player 8
Duration : 46mn 47s
Bit rate : 181 Kbps
Width : 352 pixels
Height : 288 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.222
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.071
Stream size : 60.5 MiB (79%)

Audio
ID : 0
Format : Cooker
Codec ID : cook
Codec ID/Info : Based on G.722.1, Real Player 6
Duration : 46mn 48s
Bit rate : 44.1 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 22.05 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 14.8 MiB (19%)
have you tried remuxing it into a different container? Maybe mp4?
(2015-02-19, 07:45)Shogunreaper Wrote: [ -> ]have you tried remuxing it into a different container? Maybe mp4?

Not yet, I have about 100 those files, they all cannot be played. I wonder if there is simple fix instead of remixing all of them
remuxing them only takes a few seconds at those sizes.

but you only have to do one to see if it works
I tried to convert one of them to mkv, it takes long time just for one 170MB file. So I give up converting. Now I am trying to setup External Player MPC-HC just for the RM files. The Media Player Classic plays those files without problem if I open them in MPC directly. I am able to select "play using MPC-HC" in Kodi, however, the MPC-HC does not open so I am still not able to play them. I changed filetype in XML file from RM to RMVB just for test, MPC-HC opens from Kodi and plays the RMVB file successfully.

Why does MPC-HC not even open when the file type set to "RM"Huh
Finally a very easy solution to solve my problem: rename all .rm files to .rmvb, this works immediately!
newnews: There is also a way to force Kodi to identify more file extensions too, so they would just work that way (I think)
This is probably something the developers should consider, I've had to add a few extensions over the years to my install - once added it was still more than capable of playing them.
(2015-02-22, 10:28)AbRASiON Wrote: [ -> ]newnews: There is also a way to force Kodi to identify more file extensions too, so they would just work that way (I think)
This is probably something the developers should consider, I've had to add a few extensions over the years to my install - once added it was still more than capable of playing them.

How to force Kodi to identify more file extensions?
Code:
<videoextensions>
  <add>.ex1|.ex2</add>
</videoextensions>

change .ex1 etc to the extension you want picked up. its all covered in the wiki. google is your friend.
(2015-02-23, 02:14)helta Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
<videoextensions>
  <add>.ex1|.ex2</add>
</videoextensions>

change .ex1 etc to the extension you want picked up. its all covered in the wiki. google is your friend.

Took a look at wiki link you give, extension RM is in the list. So I do not why Kodi does not want to play. Debug log just say cannot play, but actually it can be played after rename the extension to rmvb
Who knows, it's poor design at this point, they should just add those extensions.
Perhaps it's because it's poor Quality those .rm files ;-)
.RM might suck but the player supports it and shouldn't hide it.
Pages: 1 2