Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV shows - not recognised as such
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I added a couple of TV show serials, and they loaded OK and are listed in the correct order, with some metadata.

Although I set the content as TV shows, they do not show under TV shows on the Home menu - the only way to get to them is via Files.

What am I doing wrong?
You possibly haven't named them properly. Or you haven't set your source properly.
If I didn't set the source properly I suppose I would not be able to see them and play them, which I can. But only via File, which is sort of a back-door.

As far as naming, its done as set out in the Wiki - or at least as I understood it -

folder Railway Journeys (2012)

subfolder Railway Journeys s01
file Railway Journeys s01e01.mkv
file .... s01e02
and so on

subfolder Railway Journeys s02
files s02e01
and so on

Is there a better way how to organise them?

Are there pictures somewhere what it looks like when it is done correctly? I could not find any wiki which deals with TV shows specifically.

thanks
Your show folder has to be named exactly as the db source (I presume in this instance TVDB). I cannot find a show titled Railway Journeys (2012), therefore Kodi isn't going to scrape properly and display in Library mode (under TV Shows on the Home Menu).

Think you might need to re-check the source for the correct title and amend your naming convention appropriately.
XBMC is very strickt when it comes to naming and indeed, like steelman1991 mentioned, the tvshow is not coming up in tvdb. I did find 'Great Continental Railway Journeys'. Is that the tvshow you are looking for?
Guys, this is not about scraping. That works OK. BTW the show is called Great Continental Railway Journeys - I just took a shortcut. And they play too.

This is about finding the shows when you want to watch them. Clicking on Movies or TV Shows does not bring them up. I have to go through Files. I can't imagine that this is as Kodi intended, so there is a problem somewhere. (Or maybe it is as intended ??)

I would appreciate if somebody describes to me how they access their TV shows

BTW - I am talking here about TV shows which are on my computer - I am not talking about streaming from internet.
For heaven's sake then tell us the actual name of the show - might have saved us both some time trying to troubleshoot an issue that doesn't exist.

Clearly it IS about scraping, otherwise you would be able to use KODI as intended. The fact they are visible from files, only show they are available on your HDD's, not that they have been scraped properly.

It's not what's intended - IF the source has been set properly and your files are named correctly, then you should be able to play them from the library - via TV Shows and Movies.

Please provide a debug log of you scraping your library - turn on debugging (Settings/System/Debugging), scrape your source, locate the debug file, paste it to pastebin, or similar, then post the link here - do not post the contents of the log here.

lots of info on the wikik http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced.
I am just reading a mountain of posts from around three years ago with lots of people having exactly the same problem.
It turned out that it was a problem with the thetvdb.com website.
People also blamed incorrect naming.

My content IS being scraped, I can see info which is not resident on my HDD. I don't think it would be scraped at all if the naming was incorrect. But it may not be scraped fully - don't know much about scraping, I am just an "end user".

Thanks for your valuable piece of info - the TV shows should be accessible via Movies and TV shows
Care to provide a link to this mountain?

Oh and if your content was being scraped it would be available from the place you wanted to access it from - it isn't so guess what?
So the series is on TVDB as 'Great Continental Railway Journeys' but you are labeling it 'Railway Journeys (2012)'? Well there's your problem. You labeled it wrong. Try labeling the series CORRECTLY. Also you need to drop the (2012) since it's not anywhere in the TVDB title. Similarly there's 'Doctor Who' and 'Doctor Who (2005)' on TVDB, the first one being the 1963 series, but if you labeled that series 'Doctor Who (1963)' then the scraper would be unable to find it as you added text to the title that doesn't exist in the TVDB entry.

So go fix the folder naming on your show.
Yes it is not in the tv library because you misnamed them and they aren't scraped. Being in 'files' does not mean it scraped.
The saga is over, TV shows are working.

I think (I am pretty sure) the trick was the year behind the show name.

@DJ-Izumi - the show name was OK, here in the thread I truncated it because it was just an example, but on my folders I had the full name.
You say that on tvdb the year does not show - no and yes. In the search box on the right side when I start typing the name, the hints I get show "2012 BBC Two" in the second line.
Anyway, it works when the year is removed. And the same problem with the other show, it scraped correctly when I removed the year behind the show name.

This part of Wiki is wrong - "The folder name will be cleaned of commonly used strings, such as DVDRip, 1080p, x264, etc. before being passed to the scraper. If the year of release is included, this will be extracted and used by the scraper to assist in making a match".

I was wrong when I thought that the shows were being scraped at least partially, because I saw pictures (fanart) that I did not have on my HDD. Kodi must have generated the fanart from thumbs embedded into the video files - can't think of other explanation.

Thanks everybody for help !!!
@jfranek - glad you've got it working, but no need to "think" what the trick is - that "IS" what the trick is. Name your shows exactly as they are shown on the TVDB (years where they appear and excluded when they're not) and you'll have few issues.

The information on the search in TVDB is not part of the title of the show, only the channel from which it was aired and it's release date (to ease recognition) - it does not form part of the title of that or any other show.

Is your comment on the Wiki based on TV Show or Movie scraping, if it's the latter, then there is nothing wrong with the statement as it is recommended that the year of release is used - as it is included in the Movie DB, to assist scraping against duplicate entries.
Put it this way - I was confused by the Wiki. It was TV show wiki. Movies scrape OK with year behind the title.

thanks again