Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LAN Play Stutter - Buffer and Cache Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy,
Background:
Running Kodi 14.1 on a i3-3225, 8GB of RAM, Win7 pro machine. App disk is an SSD and another 1TB drive for overflow. Have SAB, CP, Sonarr, etc running on it. I store media on an external NAS (1GB) connection.

With default settings, during 1080p playback, I can download something at 8MB/s on the box and have no issues. I can verify, repair, extract, etc no problems. As soon as CP or Sonaar move media to the NAS however, Kodi chokes and dies. I also have issues where CP or Sonaar rescan the libary and Kodi stutters. Kodi tries to buffer constantly and video, even 720p, is essentially unplayable until the move/scan is complete.

I've been playing with cache and buffer settings here: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache with no luck. I've successfully cached 200MB of the video in 15 seconds on movie play, but as soon as it can't fill the cache, buffer starts. I don't really even understand what the cache is supposed to do. During initial video startup Kodi plays the movie while it's filling the cache, but as soon as the cache gets full and there is network congestion, it stops playback and tries to fill the cache to full again which to me seems like it completely defeats the purpose of a cache. I've tried various amounts of cache, and amounts of readbufferfactor and it continues to be the same problem.

Is there any way I can configure Kodi to play from cache, while trying to fill the cache in a background/best effort manner, until the cache runs out and then force buffer? Or until the cache his a mimumum amount?

Alternatively, if anyone has any other hints, i'm all ears. I've been playing with process priorities, network limiters, separating mount points for different media types, etc etc and I'm pulling my hair out!

Thanks much!