Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote control sends keyboard presses option is missing and autodetect doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Running Kodi 14.1 on Android and the option to enable "Remote control sends keyboard presses" is missing even on settings level Expert. I can't seem to find a way to re-enable this option, has it been removed? Can I enable it through advancedsettings.xml?

Edit:
It appears this option was removed as it is now set automatically. However, this does not work on any of my devices and my remotes only navigate the virtual keyboard. How can I force this "automatic" option?
Could please state what your actual issue is?
The remote has a dpad and full keyboard. The dpad navigates the virtual keyboard rather than adjusting the cursor on the text input.

This used to be resolved by toggling the remote control sends keyboard presses option.
Well, yeah, that's the way it is, now.
Use backspace or the "<" and ">" keys on the virtual keyboard to navigate the input box.

Just tested and it works the same way on Windows with a keyboard.
Oh... So there isn't a way to allow the dpad to navigate the actual text entry
Apparently not, no more than using the arrow key on a keyboard.
I might be wrong, though, but it surely doesn't seem android-specific.
That's too bad, it makes editing text very difficult as I have to use the virtual keyboard to position the cursor before modification

Perhaps a patch for SPMC?
It is possible. I just tested it and this worked:

Create a plain text document and call it something like "vkeyboard.xml" (or anything that ends in.xml) and save it in your userdata folder (wiki) in the keymaps folder.

Cut and paste this into the document and save:

Code:
<keymap>
  <virtualkeyboard>
    <keyboard>
      <left>CursorLeft</left>
      <right>CursorRight</right>
    </keyboard>
  </virtualkeyboard>
</keymap>

Now left/right will select the cursor instead of moving the on-screen-keyboard buttons.
Awesome. I was hoping there was a solution to it.
Thanks for this, I don't know who's bright idea it was to make it the default that a keyboards cursor controls would control the virtual keyboard control instead of the text dialog cursor, But they need shot for it. Why in hell would we want to use a fucking Virtual keyboard when we have a normal keyboard for input. I understand it's for those use use remotes, gamepads, and touch screens, but to take the option away for standard cursor control in text dialogs is just moronic and piss poor coding.

Just realized this is in the android section of the forums but the issue persists on the PC side, which is what I'm using.
Indeed, this is the android forum where most users DON'T have a keyboard.

So please remove your offensive post.
Even for PCs, the remote control is the interface Kodi is designed around. People using a full keyboard to control Kodi are in the minority.
Feel free to move my Post to the appropriate forum if you have an issue with where it's posted, I only posted it here cause it was the only post I could find on how to fix this issue. Also while I admit I was frustrated and some what pissed when I made that post, I still feel it's accurate to the issue at hand and if it offends people, All I can say is sorry but I believe in free speech and non-censoring of opinions.

While keyboard users might be a minority, it's still seems stupid to A. remove a feature that fixed this issue for keyboard users (making it automatic while a good idea is pointless if the program can't dynamically change the input function depending on keyboard or remote input), B. force users to have to manually create a file and code page when a feature all ready existed to do this through a simple settings option. I would also like to point out that it could be made that the text dialog it's self is a selection that when highlighted the left and right cursor keys move the text cursor and not the selection box (if it does that all ready then some thing must be broken cause it doesn't work in any 14 version).

Honestly since version 13 on I have found more and more things to hate about the direction this program is going and the changes being made. If it's weren't for the playback issues I have with some of my files on the older version I would happily go back to them.

Any way I honestly didn't come here to start any thing and all that, just seems to ended up that way. I'm leaving for now and hopefully in future releases keyboard users will be kept in mind with little things like this.
Up until v14, the majority of users had to manually adjust files and XML's so that remotes would work correctly. We can't please everyone, but we can use smarter defaults, and that is what happened here.

In the future we hope all these kinds of keymap/input map changes can easily be made in th GUI. Maybe even make it so you can say "prefer keyboard" or "prefer remote", or something to that of extent.

C'est la vie
Actually, I had a PR before the keyboard rewrite where users could swap the arrow key mode between keyboard and remote with <TAB>.
I'll put that on my todo Wink

[EDIT] Done: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6565
Pages: 1 2