Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: reasonable support for audiobooks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I managed to separate my TV-Shows from my Anime by using smart playlists, different sources and changing my menu.
Now I would very much like to do the same with my music and audiobooks, alas it works quite differently.
The problems i encountered so far are:

* I can't use the source as a filter in the smart playlist for starters (if i'm wrong please tell me how :-)).
* I can't select a different scraper for each source (that was important for the TV Series and might as well be important for the audiobooks)

Any tips what I can do about that?
Is it something that actually has to be implemented or is there some way around with advancedconfig to get it working?

Thanks in advance.
Music is the poor cousin of video in kodi. Audio books are the disabled embarrassing pauper fourth cousin of music. There isn't a lot of support.
Non-Music audio content in general is completely overlocked in Kodi. Some of the things we need for proper support for these content types:

1) New library content types for non-music audio content; Audiobook and Podcast being the two key ones.
2) Chapter support for containers that support it, such as m4b, ogg and mka
3) Flattening of multi-file audio books, similar to what is done for multi-part movies. A book should only be a single library entry no matter if it contains multiple files
4) Resume position should be for the entire book, even spanning multiple files, instead of per-file
5) Crossfading should be disabled for non-music audio content
6) Variable playback speed
7) Support for sets. Like movies with sequels, books that are part of a series should have the option to be grouped into a set.
Good points. But is this really the use case for a screen oriented media centre? Book listening seems a much more personal thing, more suited perhaps to a phone and a pair of headphones than sitting on a couch with the family.
I use Kodi both as my 10 foot interface in the livingroom, my desktop client, and on my small form factor Android tablet with headphones.
@nickr not necessarily ... for example the PC running kodi with the screen turned off and controlling it via remote from smartphone or tablet :-D
I have basic support for audiobooks in my fork; chapter browsing, basic library integration, resume points.
(2015-02-22, 12:03)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]I have basic support for audiobooks in my fork; chapter browsing, basic library integration, resume points.

I would be very interested in trying out your version. However, I'm very green when it comes to how to specifically compile a github fork. I'd be grateful if you could post instructions on how I would compile your specific version?

I've read the wiki on compiling kodi for ubuntu (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Compile_XBMC_for_Ubuntu , I have MINT, but they should be compatible). However, this seems like instructions for a vanilla install, not your specific fork. I'm obviously missing something, but am certainly willing and able to follow specific instructions.

Thanks for any help you can provide Big Grin
(2015-02-22, 12:03)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]I have basic support for audiobooks in my fork; chapter browsing, basic library integration, resume points.

hey i would love to try your audiobook addon/verson
Sorry for the cross post, but just in case anyone is watching this thread.

I'm currently working on an addon to support Audiobooks, if you have any comments, then please feel free to add to the following thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239859

Thanks

Rob

P.S. I'm not watching this thread, so will not see anything posted on it, please post to the above thread if you wanted me to see it.