Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AFTV] Possible Start of a Solution for Those Using a NAS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those of you who have a wired network and have been having problems playing files from your NAS with your AFTV, this thread might be for you.

For the record, I have a gigabit network with Kodi 14.1 sideloaded on a Fire TV and I'm using a Drobo 5N NAS as a source.

I have been participating in a few different threads trying to resolve my main issue of being able to see files from my NAS but not being able to play them. I haven't had the buffering issue as others have described. Sometimes I won't receive an error at all after selecting a file to play and the player acts as if I didn't select anything. After reading into several other threads and trying different fixes, I think that I'm onto something.

After reading through several forums and threads, many users suggested to try the advancedsettings.xml route to resolve any buffering issues. Though I wasn't experiencing buffering issues (in my opinion) since the file wasn't playing at all, I thought I'd give it a try anyway. Specifically, I pushed the following settings to the Fire TV:

<network>
<autodetectpingtime>45</autodetectpingtime>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>708669603</cachemembuffersize>
<curllowspeedtime>45</curllowspeedtime>
<curlclienttimeout>45</curlclienttimeout>
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
</network>

After the file was pushed, I had immediate success and was able to play any of my files from my NAS without an issue. However, I went through the menu and made some modifications to my settings, such as the audio pass-through settings, and once again, I was then unable to play any content from the NAS.

Having that said, does anybody know if particular settings overwrite any of the values in the XML file? It seems very strange that I made some setting changes in the actual Kodi interface and I wasn't able to play files again. If the file is changed and/or overwritten, I'm curious if I'm able to specify all of my settings in the XML file and include the settings listed above in the file. I'm fine if I can't go in and make changes without breaking something because I don't see myself changing those settings.

I know that there are many Kodi users out there with AFTV's that are experiencing similar issues. I'm curious if you can try the same XML route that I took and see if you notice any progress whatsoever. If so, then go and make some setting changes and see if you go right back to where you were.

I will also note that I tried to push the XML file to the Userdata folder via the adbFire tool and it didn't work correctly. After finding another post (here) of how to push the file via command prompt, I could tell that the file pushed correctly because I had instant success.

I'm curious of who this has helped and who can shed some light on the issue that I'm still experiencing. I'd love to get this thing working and I have no doubt that I'm close. Thank you for your help!
I was hoping to get some more traction on this. Any thoughts on whether or not the advancedsettings.xml file gets overwitten by making changes in the GUI?
I've actually been meaning to add your example back to the wiki, but I wanted to document those additional tags before then. The page will probably be renamed to something better like "Modify network settings", and then include all of those tags. I have your example written down, though, so I won't forget.

As far as settings being overwritten, the advancedsettings.xml file should overwrite all other settings, in theory. It depends on what settings you're talking about, as none of these advancedsettings.xml settings have GUI options.
(2015-03-01, 23:46)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually been meaning to add your example back to the wiki, but I wanted to document those additional tags before then. The page will probably be renamed to something better like "Modify network settings", and then include all of those tags. I have your example written down, though, so I won't forget.

As far as settings being overwritten, the advancedsettings.xml file should overwrite all other settings, in theory. It depends on what settings you're talking about, as none of these advancedsettings.xml settings have GUI options.

Thank you for your response. I don't want to suggest that this is an actual fix, but I certainly think that I'm onto something.

I haven't used Kodi on my Fire TV for over a week now because my setup isn't stable at this point. The last state that I left the player in was unusable as it wouldn't play any files from my NAS. I just confirmed that the same issue was happening, and as soon as I pushed the XML file with the settings that I specified through the adbFire program, the player was immediately able to play files from my NAS. I did have to exit out of Kodi and launch the application again but it worked.

After I confirmed that a movie would play, I went and made a simple setting change (System, Settings, Video, Library, Update Library on Startup) and the movies wouldn't play again. I tried to push the XML file through the adbFire application but it wasn't helping any. I then went into command prompt, pushed the file, and bingo...it worked like a charm.

Like I said, I think that I'm onto something, but I need some help from those of you who have a much deeper knowledge of how everything works with Kodi and the Fire TV. I'm curious if it's possible that the XML file is being overwritten, or if something in the Settings menu somehow and someway changes the XML file after its pushed. I'm also curious why it seems to make a difference when I push the XML file from a command prompt window rather than the adbFire program.

Any help is appreciated! I'm determined to get this thing working.
It's another weekend and I have some time to put into this issue. Is there anyone that might be able to help me troubleshoot the issue that I'm experiencing? I'm not sure what direction to head at this point. I'd love to use this setup if possible because it's the only reason that I bought the Fire TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Its hard for me to believe your having probs like this on wired gigabit. Occam's razor, I'd say its your network or nas. Check with a laptop where your firetv is plugged in. What is an average transfer rate? I'm not having any issues wireless... Using a synology nas. Maybe your firetv has a bad Ethernet port? Have you tried wireless?