Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playlist and pathsubstitution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just recently installed a fresh build of XBMC and found a lot of new features, and one of those in particular got me interested since I find it somewhat cumbersome building playlists in the XBMC GUI. The feature was pathsubstitution.

I got my MP3:s on a NAS and if I create a playlist on the PC (Also accessing the NAS) I get a playlist like this:

Code:
#EXTM3U
W:\Melodifestivalen 2006\1 - Bodies without organs - Temple of love.mp3

If I create the same playlist on the Xbox it would be:

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,03. BWO - Temple of love
smb://xbox:[email protected]/Melodifestivalen 2006/1 - Bodies without organs - Temple of love.mp3

I then use the pathsubstitution and set the AdvancedSettings.xml like:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>W:\</from>
      <to>smb://xbox:[email protected]/</to>
    </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

But. It does not work. I was thinking that the reason could be that the '\' is not substituted to a '/'?

Does anyone know how to do it?
Sorry. Seems as if the search function didn't work first time around.

The answer to me would be:

Search!

RTFM!

And look at this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...bstitution

Seems as if it will not work on local playlists (quite natural).
Yes, your example should work provided the playlist is located on your PC share. Does it not work in that instance?
Yes, I got it working.

But I ran into a problem when I altered the default location for playlists:

Quote:<system>
<playlistspath>smb://xbox:[email protected]/mp3_4/Playlists/</playlistspath>
</system>

XBMC wanted an extra "Music" folder on the NAS. Took me a while to figure out, but it makes sense though (given the fact that it actually is what it is supposed to do....)

As it seems I will not be able to create any playlists from the Xbox if I have the default location pointing to a NAS? (since the Xbox will try to write on it). If so - is there a way to have playlists on external discs showing up where the other playlists are?

Perhaps I am again beeing lazy, but I cannot find anything on this in the on-line (or the forum).....
Correct. The playlist path is meant to be local. It's meant for xbmc created playlists. And as such, there is no way to have remote playlists show up there. If you keep all your remote playlists in a common folder, you can make add a source directly to that folder.

But along these lines, I have been considering adding support for this to the library. Today, playlists are skipped over during a scan. I'm considering changing this and adding them to the database. This would allow all "scanned" remote playlists to be displayed in the library's Playlist section.
kraqh3d Wrote:.....If you keep all your remote playlists in a common folder, you can make add a source directly to that folder......

I am sorry but I don't quite understand "add a source"? Do you mean that I can store my Xbox created playlists in a remote folder?

kraqh3d Wrote:But along these lines, I have been considering adding support for this to the library. Today, playlists are skipped over during a scan. I'm considering changing this and adding them to the database. This would allow all "scanned" remote playlists to be displayed in the library's Playlist section.

This would be exactly what I am looking for. And if the Xbox upon add also could recalculate the paths, so that the playlists are useable from the Xbox, it would be even better. Is this at all possible?
Quote:I am sorry but I don't quite understand "add a source"? Do you mean that I can store my Xbox created playlists in a remote folder?
No, I'm saying you can create your playlists on your computer and keep them in a common remote folder. Then add that location as a source.

Quote:And if the Xbox upon add also could recalculate the paths, so that the playlists are useable from the Xbox, it would be even better. Is this at all possible?
It should already do this. If you define the path substitutions correctly (like in your first post) and open a remote playlist, it will fix the pathes so its playable.
kraqh3d Wrote:......If you keep all your remote playlists in a common folder, you can make add a source directly to that folder....

This is actually the section that I do not understand.

I do keep all my external playlists in a common remote folder, but how can I make this remote folder (or rather, the playlists in it) visible in the music section of the XBMC GUI (using libraries btw)?
You cant make it directly visible in the library as the library doesnt know anything about remote playlists. But you can make a button or keypress open directly to that location if you make a direct source for it, and use "xbmc.activatewindow(mymusicfiles,<SOURCE NAME>)" as the onclick/action.
Thank you kraqh3d. Will start digging in to new (for me) sections of the wonderful XBMC world. Thanks again.

...And I do support your ideas in #5.
kraqh3d Wrote:But along these lines, I have been considering adding support for this to the library. Today, playlists are skipped over during a scan. I'm considering changing this and adding them to the database. This would allow all "scanned" remote playlists to be displayed in the library's Playlist section.

I found this while looking for help with adding remote playlists. Is this functionality in the offing anytime soon?

In the meantime, is there a quicker way to add remote playlists than my method?