Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Buffer (cache) only for local network stream (SMB, NFS)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.
I have reading the doc about buffer (cache) here: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
I have not found a combination for advancedsettings.xml to enable buffer only for local network stream (SMB, NFS).
What I need is to enable buffer only for for local network stream (SMB, NFS), is it possible?
Thanks.
So you don't want to use a cache for any "internet" protocol? I don't think there is an option for that.
I want to use cache only for local stream (LAN) such as SMB (Samba), NFS; but in the same time I don't want to cache also Internet stream.
As you can understand to cache 100MB via SMB (via LAN) is quite easy and fast, instead cache 100MB via Internet is is another thing...
It will be nice to have the possibility to choose cache a size for local stream and another size for Internet stream.
Thanks!
(2015-03-02, 11:51)outcave Wrote: [ -> ]I want to use cache only for local stream (LAN) such as SMB (Samba), NFS; but in the same time I don't want to cache also Internet stream.
As you can understand to cache 100MB via SMB (via LAN) is quite easy and fast, instead cache 100MB via Internet is is another thing...
It will be nice to have the possibility to choose cache a size for local stream and another size for Internet stream.
Thanks!

Sorry I don't quite get why you would want that.
I run Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 2, have noted that the maximum ethernet bitrate of the Raspberry Pi 2 is about 70 Megabit/sec, when I play a high bit rate 1080p mkv and that stream will exceed about 70 Megabit/sec the video/audio goes jerky/stuttering (intermittent)... so I solve this issue by enabling cache.
Now I would like to have this cache enabled ONLY for local stream such as Samba (via LAN) and not also for Internet stream.
Or better: have the possibility to use 100MB of cache for LAN steram, and "only" 10MB of cache for Internet stream.
Why would you want to limit the internet cache? More cache = less buffering issue. Unless you have some extremely limited bandwidth cap you are trying to avoid.

As long as I have the RAM I set the cache as large as possible for the best playback experience.