Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There will be plenty of whine soon enough. Nod
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nvidia-shield-reasons/
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2983486-...tv-concept

Kind of the point I tried to make a few pages back that started a mini-debate. This seems like a box made for us, but outside of us I'm not really sure who's buying it.
Yeah, and like nearly all articles I have read they gloss over a lot of things.

Things like the Roku 3, AFTV, Apple TV, etc. don't run Android TV, that all those may be $99 but they are already based on older tech/OS and they have more limitations. They also don't mention the fact that as far as gaming goes, it's still twice as powerful as a Xbox 360 and with Nvidia's relationship with 3rd party developers there will probably exclusive titles being released that may not be as good as XB1 or PS4 games but still better than last gen consoles.

They also skim over the fact that with the $199 price it comes with a controller. As well, they compare the Shield to the Steam Link, and with the exception of the fact that they only do one thing the same, they are nothing alike. I mean, come on, if that's the case I could compare toaster oven to my regular oven.........I can cook food in both.

The problem is that the authors of most of these articles try to put the Shield in a box (no pun intended) by focusing on one thing or the other, instead of seeing the bigger picture. But none of this is really any different from when any other Android STB have been released. You get the usually suspects that come out and pick it apart, saying things like "who wants to play Android games on your TV" or something similar. Even the AFTV got the same treatment before it's release.

"Who's buying it"? No one, it's not released yet. Who will buy it? Well probably anyone who is looking for a "all in one" device, and that doesn't necessarily mean "us" since there are other people with the need/want of a box that can do it all and their needs may not even included a media center.

Could the Shield fail? Yes, but that is the chance that any company takes when they release a new product. It could also succeed beyond anyone's expectations.
The knights that say nay Wink

If they deliver on their specs won't it be the only android device that can pass through HD audio (without removing android from the device)?
Actually the Knights say Ni, not Nay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_who_say_Ni
(2015-03-10, 23:27)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Actually the Knights say Ni, not Nay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_who_say_Ni

Yes, we all know that, it was a play on words. Wink

And now I fart in your general direction. Rofl
OK cool, I have seen "Knights who say Nay" on forums a couple of times lately and was worried about that.

Anyway, at least my mother wasn't a hamster.
If I order online will NVIDIA deliver these units direct via a flock of African or European swallows ?
Supposedly their unladen air-speed velocity is excellent, and I want speedy delivery.
(2015-03-10, 21:50)essential Wrote: [ -> ]This seems like a box made for us, but outside of us I'm not really sure who's buying it.

If you're a gamer it's pretty disappointing when you do the math. DD is a rip-off. Same price for a digital copy on a less than stellar device as a physical PS4 copy?!?

From what I've gathered the hardcore gamers are laughing at this thing. Existing Nvidia tablet and portable users are asking why do I need this. And the STB'ers are saying "Oh, it games too? That's a bonus". There will be no way that those STB'ers who do get this will blow $60 on a DD game.

Regardless, I think Nvidia is making a brave and bold move here. It COULD finally BE that AIO media player everybody has been waiting for PLUS games at a not too crazy price. I can see this paying off for them. But the question is not can it play Crysis. The question is can it play it on Kodi Big Grin
(2015-03-11, 04:53)Rayzin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-10, 21:50)essential Wrote: [ -> ]This seems like a box made for us, but outside of us I'm not really sure who's buying it.

If you're a gamer it's pretty disappointing when you do the math. DD is a rip-off. Same price for a digital copy on a less than stellar device as a physical PS4 copy?!?

From what I've gathered the hardcore gamers are laughing at this thing. Existing Nvidia tablet and portable users are asking why do I need this. And the STB'ers are saying "Oh, it games too? That's a bonus". There will be no way that those STB'ers who do get this will blow $60 on a DD game.

Regardless, I think Nvidia is making a brave and bold move here. It's finally that AIO media player everybody has been waiting for PLUS games at a not too crazy price. I can see this paying off for them. But the question is not can it play Crysis. The question is can it play it on Kodi Big Grin

You can buy the games up front at face value or you can get hte netflix like subscription model which nets you all 50 games at launch for a monthly fee. Similar to Onlive and I want to say gametap or something like that. It was a service that rotated pc games in and out on a monthly basis similar to Onlive but instead of streaming you got to install the games to be able to play them.

Apparently it was gametap here is a link http://www.gametap.com/
(2015-03-10, 23:10)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]The knights that say nay Wink

If they deliver on their specs won't it be the only android device that can pass through HD audio (without removing android from the device)?

No, there are a few Android devices that already have HD audio passthrough, even when running Android. It's just not something that is implemented in a standard way, so each different chipset does it differently.
(2015-03-10, 23:10)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]The knights that say nay Wink

There is nothing yet to say this will do HD audio yet either. Yes the spec sheet says it can do 7.1 @ 192KHz so the HDMI output can setup the correct size pipe for HD audio passthrough, however it maybe restricted to sending only LPCM down that pipe. I very much doubt HD audio passthrough will be possible out of the box, however since it can set up the correct sized LPCM pipe, then it maybe possible for HD audio support to be hacked in.
(2015-03-11, 06:47)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]No, there are a few Android devices that already have HD audio passthrough, even when running Android. It's just not something that is implemented in a standard way, so each different chipset does it differently.

Nothing really does in kodi though, correct? At least not without some custom kodi build straight from the manufacturer?

Not saying this device will be any different, but nvidia has been playing nice with open source support as of late (I thought)
(2015-03-11, 04:35)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If I order online will NVIDIA deliver these units direct via a flock of African or European swallows ?
Supposedly their unladen air-speed velocity is excellent, and I want speedy delivery.

They could send it by African swallows, but not by the smaller European swallows........but then African swallows are non-migrating. Of course 2 European swallows could care it by using a piece of tree bark strung between them........

(2015-03-11, 13:31)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing really does in kodi though, correct? At least not without some custom kodi build straight from the manufacturer?

Not saying this device will be any different, but nvidia has been playing nice with open source support as of late (I thought)

Basically, yes. But what the Shield will or won't do right now is just a matter of speculation. Until it's released no one knows, and it may be some time after release before we know.
(2015-03-11, 14:56)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-11, 04:35)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If I order online will NVIDIA deliver these units direct via a flock of African or European swallows ?

They could send it by African swallows, but not by the smaller European swallows........but then African swallows are non-migrating. Of course 2 European swallows could care it by using a piece of tree bark strung between them........

(2015-03-11, 13:31)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing really does in kodi though, correct? At least not without some custom kodi build straight from the manufacturer?

Basically, yes. But what the Shield will or won't do right now is just a matter of speculation. Until it's released no one knows, and it may be some time after release before we know.

Read my mind.. This discussion is into its 10th page and the thing has not even been released yet. I think it is very early to dismiss it as either a failure or label it a success at this time.

I am not going to lie, I am eagerly waiting for it but with guarded enthusiasm, concerned it may not deliver. My brother who wants to do light gaming and use Kodi, Netflix and Hulu at the same time, will definitely be buying it. I personally have 2-3 Kodi devices so I will have to wait and see if its worth it but I already can see there may be a market for it for people like my brother who are light gamers and dont want to shell out 400-600 bucks on the more popular consoles.