Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just found out that the RPi2 now supports the playback of 3D Bluray ISOs as well as 3D MVC MKV. Poorly it doesn't support the bitstreaming of HD audio.
The Nvidia Shield does support the output of the HD audio streams as bitstream which is nice! But does it support the playback of 3D Bluray ISOs and/or 3D MVC MKV?
(2015-11-27, 17:55)Jemus Wrote: [ -> ]But does it support the playback of 3D Bluray ISOs and/or 3D MVC MKV?
Nope.
(2015-11-27, 18:00)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-27, 17:55)Jemus Wrote: [ -> ]But does it support the playback of 3D Bluray ISOs and/or 3D MVC MKV?
Nope.

I'm not even sure if I should be regretting my decision right now Big Grin
Nothing to regret. Shield TV is a terrific almost-all-in-one media box. Except for full 3D, it does (and will do) everything a home theater box should.

If 3D is important, HiMedia Q5 or Raspberry Pi 2 are the way to go.
(2015-11-27, 18:21)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing to regret. Shield TV is a terrific almost-all-in-one media box. Except for full 3D, it does (and will do) everything a home theater box should.

If 3D is important, HiMedia Q5 or Raspberry Pi 2 are the way to go.

Well, both my TV's support 3D anyway, so I could just play a SBS video and activate 3D on them. Only downside is I won't be able to use subtitles. Well I guess you are right. Better be happy with what it has than sulk over what it has not. I rarely watch 3D content anyway.
OK i am about to pull the trigger on this but also have a question about HD audio.

The Nvidia Shiled will be replacing my Rpi2/KODI setup which does audio via my Panasonic amp flawlessly.

am I right in thinking the Nvidia/KODI cant do this? ...will there be a major difference?
(2015-11-27, 18:31)mahockey Wrote: [ -> ]OK i am about to pull the trigger on this but also have a question about HD audio.

The Nvidia Shiled will be replacing my Rpi2/KODI setup which does audio via my Panasonic amp flawlessly.

am I right in thinking the Nvidia/KODI cant do this? ...will there be a major difference?

I think I read somewhere that the Shield downsamples audio to 48khz or whatnot. Complaining about that happening even though passthrough was enabled and that FLAC was worthless because of this. Don't know if that's important info but just thought I'd put it out there.
Shield TV already supports HD audio as decoded PCM with Kodi 16. With Kodi 17, it's expected to support passthrough HD audio as well.
(2015-11-27, 18:57)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Shield TV already supports HD audio as decoded PCM with Kodi 16. With Kodi 17, it's expected to support passthrough HD audio as well.

Sounding better with each post! Big Grin
Shield TV is great .. but I heard the other day it does not do deinterlacing well. I personally dont have any problems with live tv but maybe my eyes are not sharp enough to notice.
Tanks for the answers regarding the 3D compitability!

I guess I will stick with the RPi2 and hope for HD Audio passthrough in future releases.
Thought I would be much easier to pass these HD audio streams than encoding them or even play back these 3D Bluray ISOs because it has to need much more power or is this done by hardware acceleration?
Sorry for off topic.
(2015-11-23, 21:16)TornadoTJ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-23, 14:14)sandogo1 Wrote: [ -> ]How well does the harmony remote work on the shield or are we better off with the stock shield remote you can buy?

It works perfectly. Here is what I have learned you have to do.
When setting up an activity, select Watch Movie, not Watch TV. If you select Watch TV, you will not be able to control the Shield with the remote because it will map the controls to your TV.
The sideways U-Turn button (return) is not mapped. You will have to map this to "Back" manually.

Other than that, it works fine. I have a Harmony 650, a Harmony One, and a Harmony Hub ultimate, and have tested all of these.
Does it work well inside Kodi? And can you tell me what device did you set the Shield up as in the Harmony database?

Tia
(2015-11-27, 18:00)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
Nope.

I have searched for an answer to this and can't find it - is full 3D MVC playback on the Shield/Kodi to do list for the future or will it never happen? This is the one key omission that I have found with the combination so far - otherwise am loving using Kodi via the Shield
Full 3D MVC playback is technically possible on any h/w that can decode MVC, but problem is how open the h/w is for devs to dig into, find appropriate driver(s), then work on adding Kodi support.

As of now, only Kodi device that natively supports MVC is Raspberry Pi. The upcoming Venz V8 is also promising it natively. Both of these are OpenELEC Kodi solutions using MVC decoder in the hardware.

For Shield to support MVC, nVidia would have to add support, and to date, they've said "no plans" to support it. But, when they asked what features people want in the future, MVC has come up repeatedly. So, it's possible if/when they add this support, Kodi devs could add it to Kodi just as they're working on now with HD audio.

Other than above, the rest of the MVC solutions with Kodi all involve varied external player implementations, a wrapper. So, you use Kodi, but actual MVC playback happens via an external player. Thread for all 3D player options in Kodi detailed in this stickied thread (provided HD audio is also supported).
(2015-11-27, 20:30)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Full 3D MVC playback is technically possible on any h/w that can decode MVC, but problem is how open the h/w is for devs to dig into, find appropriate driver(s), then work on adding Kodi support.

As of now, only Kodi device that natively supports MVC is Raspberry Pi. The upcoming Venz V8 is also promising it natively. Both of these are OpenELEC Kodi solutions using MVC decoder in the hardware.

For Shield to support MVC, nVidia would have to add support, and to date, they've said "no plans" to support it. But, when they asked what features people want in the future, MVC has come up repeatedly. So, it's possible if/when they add this support, Kodi devs could add it to Kodi just as they're working on now with HD audio.

Other than above, the rest of the MVC solutions with Kodi all involve varied external player implementations, a wrapper. So, you use Kodi, but actual MVC playback happens via an external player. Thread for all 3D player options in Kodi detailed in this stickied thread (provided HD audio is also supported).

Great post - thanks for this. I will check out the links.