Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-05-16, 22:39)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I am saying Gigabit Ethernet should cope fine. I doubt wifi will be any good to you.

Those bitrates are for hevc.
I also think gigabit will undoubtedly cope just fine, but the wiki page with that info only sources a cnet article that sources something I can't recall. It's not a very scientific table unfortunately

If you looked at the and info prior to blu rays release the table would probably have mentioned 25 and 50 GB discs with a data rate of 36 Mbps. After all that is the 1x read speed of BD. But they fuzzed the numbers by going to to 1.5x for playback. This is why most BD rips are 40+ Mbps

The wiki and CNET source say up to 100GB discs with 128Mbps data rates. Just not sure that's the final word until tech hits the market
(2015-05-17, 13:20)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]If you looked at the and info prior to blu rays release the table would probably have mentioned 25 and 50 GB discs with a data rate of 36 Mbps. After all that is the 1x read speed of BD. But they fuzzed the numbers by going to to 1.5x for playback. This is why most BD rips are 40+ Mbps
Off topic, but I think the original Blu-ray read spec was based on the Blu-ray consumer recorders that were marketed to record and play over-the-air and satellite HDTV in Japan. (These were caddy based devices for MPEG2 record/replay and used Blu-ray rather than DVD media, but were launched before the current consumer Blu-ray standard was defined)

They probably did run at a 1x rate (they didn't support H264 or VC-1 and I don't think they supported high bitrate lossless audio codecs either)

If the spec hadn't already existed for domestic recorders, and been developed to a pre-recorded consumer format, I suspect they would have set the 1x rate higher.
Even at double the bitrates mentioned, gigE will cope. Mind you there have been plenty of us saying for ages that "100M networking is all you need for media, blurays Max out at 48M".

I'll go get my smallest hat in case I have to eat it.
(2015-05-17, 13:45)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Even at double the bitrates mentioned, gigE will cope. Mind you there have been plenty of us saying for ages that "100M networking is all you need for media, blurays Max out at 48M".

But how many 4K HEVC-friendly platforms are there with 100Mbs-only connections ? (IF you were saying 100Mbs is all you need for a NAS - then that's a different story)

For 1080p H264/VC-1 stuff - you're still right.
Slightly off topic also but since we are talking 4k compression why don't we see any 4k versions of 4K shows like daredevil on "unauthorised" sites. Always seems to be max 1080p...?

I don't own a 4K tv but was just curious when I checked. Expected to get hits when I searched daredevil 2160 or daredevil 4k but none appeared.
(2015-05-17, 16:43)david.kennedy Wrote: [ -> ]Slightly off topic also but since we are talking 4k compression why don't we see any 4k versions of 4K shows like daredevil on "unauthorised" sites. Always seems to be max 1080p...?

I don't own a 4K tv but was just curious when I checked. Expected to get hits when I searched daredevil 2160 or daredevil 4k but none appeared.

I think that is because the only way of watching these shows in 4K is either on internal Smart TV players (where the data remains sealed off from prying eyes) or possibly on the Sony and/or Samsung HDCP 2.2 external media boxes (where it is protected). You can't watch the 4K stuff on a normal platform (PC, Tablet etc.) yet AFAIK.

This means that it isn't possible to capture the 4K video in any real way. I may be wrong - but that is my understanding. (And if you could break HDCP 2.2 and get a 4K HDMI feed there aren't that many 4K HDMI 2.0 capture solutions out there yet to capture and re-encode from)
Thanks, interesting stuff and that seems to explain it.

With the non 4k stuff I sometimes see WedDL so I assumed the people got the video from say a Netflix download stream. Thought this would still be possible with 4k but was unaware of the extra security. How long that security manages to stay secure will be interesting...
Just to be clear on streaming 4K stuff (at any bitrate) your problem isn't going to be gigE since, as mentioned, it is more than capable of handling 2X+ the max 4K standard.

The problem with streaming 4K is going to be were the bottleneck is, which is always on the processor side. It doesn't matter what the max speed your network can handle if the device you have has a weak processor. So even if the device you are steaming to has a gigE port, it doesn't mean that it can handle max gigE speeds.

With that said though, the X1 in the Shield should be more than capable.
This box seems like a no brainer

Edit: The only thing that would make me keep my NAS box as well as getting the 500GB shield is that the Synology NAS has really useful apps whereby I can drop torrents from my phone onto the NAS even when at work and the NAS monitors the folder for torrents and auto downloads them. Maybe the shield will get apps like that too then I can ditch the NAS.
There's not going to be a 500GB Shield, that's only a developers model that was put up by mistake.

And even it there was going to be 500GB model, why would you ever get rid of a NAS?

How many files are you going be able to put on a 500GB drive? I have about 40TB between all my NASs and will still need more soon.
I use my NAS very differently compared to most I suspect. I use it for two things only.

My Dropbox of family vids / photos is synced from it which is about 30GB so I have a local copy on the nas.

I use it to download movies and to stream them to my TV via DLNA. When I watch a movie I delete it after I watch it (except 4 or 5 faves). Never really watch movies twice so don't keep them. I probably have a 100GB of movies/series but as I say this is transient so never goes too much above or below this.

Therefore if the Shield had a Dropbox app it would work for use case 1. The torrent downloader is then what I was saying would be cool although the Synology ds download phone app is class.

As you say though the 500GB is a rumour and apparently for developers so maybe a mute point but I can dream and as you can see 500GB would be more than enough for me.
Dropbox on android is not the same as dropbox on Windows. AKA it will not auto sync folders between android devices by storing files on all devices. What it does do is that it syncs a list between all devices then you pick files from the list to download to that particular android device. So if you aren't keeping up its not keeping a local backup for you.

As for the shield and HDDs it may or may not be possible to use external HDDS with the shield depending on how NVIDIA handles it. So you can still easily see 500+gb with the shield if it handles external drives properly.
Good points, thanks
(2015-05-17, 13:45)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Even at double the bitrates mentioned, gigE will cope. Mind you there have been plenty of us saying for ages that "100M networking is all you need for media, blurays Max out at 48M".

BD5 and BD9 don't need anymore than 100meg. BDXL is "new" as far as the market is concerned. Has anyone even seen retail BDXL movies in the wild? Not just recordable media, but actual movies?
From the same wikipeia article I referred to earlier:
Quote: 4K Blu-ray Disc technology will be licensed in the spring or summer of 2015, and 4K Blu-ray Disc players have an expected release date of Christmas 2015.

I guess that is a reference to northern hemisphere spring/summer.