Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-12-02, 21:22)nikc0069 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-02, 21:19)gkf9 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you give it ago?

Not yet but I can later on tonight.

Made no difference to my setup. I checked the bitrate of the video files a d above about 15 Mb/s I get the slight judder every few frames so guess my network isn't up to it. Just seems my server has coincidentally started grabbing some high bitrate rips about the same time I got my shield. Downside of homeplugs I guess. Unless it is sub. Ut I've never found an easy way on Windows 8.1 to do nfs shares which might help.
(2015-11-30, 19:28)danjames92 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-30, 16:54)Stevio Wrote: [ -> ]I have an interesting question. I read that the new Android version allows you to use all storage devices to install apps. I think it was 5.1 rather than Android 6.0, but I can't remember.

So, is it possible to connect say, a 2TB+ USB hard drive, and install apps and put files from my bluray disks for playback on the Shield?

Thanks.

rips yes, don't know about apps.

Thanks Dan, I suppose I will have to look thus up. Avoiding $100 for the Pro is desirable.
You can read from a external HDD, but you can't write to it. You also can't install, or move apps to an external HDD.

That will/should change with Android 6.0, but currently you can only install/move apps to a microSD, and only the app but not the data if it's separate.
About hardware deinterlacing: yes, the Shield supports it and does a pretty good job. Unfortunately, Kodi doesn't use the h/w decoder for MPEG2 and SD (see here)

I did a quick hack and compiled a build with the two references to AV_CODEC_ID_MPEG2VIDEO removed and now I can enjoy Live TV SD channels with proper hardware deinterlacing Smile
Yep, but then vob playback is jerky as hell. Choices, choices...
(2015-12-03, 01:30)nikc0069 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-02, 21:22)nikc0069 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-02, 21:19)gkf9 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you give it ago?

Not yet but I can later on tonight.

Made no difference to my setup. I checked the bitrate of the video files a d above about 15 Mb/s I get the slight judder every few frames so guess my network isn't up to it. Just seems my server has coincidentally started grabbing some high bitrate rips about the same time I got my shield. Downside of homeplugs I guess. Unless it is sub. Ut I've never found an easy way on Windows 8.1 to do nfs shares which might help.

I still have a few files that judder, ( think it's the files themselves ) what might be at fault. But some files I had have stopped juddering.

I changed to a nfs share, but didn't make any difference, I'm sure when I was running 15.2 Isengard from the playstore I didn't get any play back trouble?

But I cant be bothered going back and setting Kodi up again. I'm at the point now where I'm spending more time messing about that actually watching anything in Kodi!
(2015-12-03, 09:32)gkf9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-03, 01:30)nikc0069 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-02, 21:22)nikc0069 Wrote: [ -> ]Not yet but I can later on tonight.

Made no difference to my setup. I checked the bitrate of the video files a d above about 15 Mb/s I get the slight judder every few frames so guess my network isn't up to it. Just seems my server has coincidentally started grabbing some high bitrate rips about the same time I got my shield. Downside of homeplugs I guess. Unless it is smb but I've never found an easy way on Windows 8.1 to do nfs shares which might help.

I still have a few files that judder, ( think it's the files themselves ) what might be at fault. But some files I had have stopped juddering.

I changed to a nfs share, but didn't make any difference, I'm sure when I was running 15.2 Isengard from the playstore I didn't get any play back trouble?

But I cant be bothered going back and setting Kodi up again. I'm at the point now where I'm spending more time messing about that actually watching anything in Kodi!

I could try the same file on 15.2 I guess. Won't have time until at least Sunday though I don't think. Have you tried any of the nightlies? You can just install over the top so might be worth a go.
(2015-12-03, 04:55)Uukrul Wrote: [ -> ]About hardware deinterlacing: yes, the Shield supports it and does a pretty good job. Unfortunately, Kodi doesn't use the h/w decoder for MPEG2 and SD (see here)

I did a quick hack and compiled a build with the two references to AV_CODEC_ID_MPEG2VIDEO removed and now I can enjoy Live TV SD channels with proper hardware deinterlacing Smile
Thanks for confirmation.
So Noggin and myself were correct after all in regards to no Hardware deinterlacing for mpeg2 for Live TV viewing unless users custom compile.

For info there is a revert in the Jarvis master related to this:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/1145...f050a42bd7
(2015-12-03, 09:02)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, but then vob playback is jerky as hell. Choices, choices...
I thought this was only an AMLogic platform problem ?
(2015-12-03, 04:55)Uukrul Wrote: [ -> ]About hardware deinterlacing: yes, the Shield supports it and does a pretty good job. Unfortunately, Kodi doesn't use the h/w decoder for MPEG2 and SD (see here)

Could you share the file please or how can I compile it myself?
(2015-12-03, 10:25)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for confirmation.
So Noggin and myself were correct after all in regards to no Hardware deinterlacing for mpeg2 for Live TV viewing unless users custom compile.
For anything with a width < 800 (SD), indeed. For anything above, h/w decoding and deinterlacing is used.

(2015-12-03, 10:25)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this was only an AMLogic platform problem ?
VOB was jerky for me on SATV, as well. You can try a 15.2 to confirm.

Now, imho, it's more important to have Live TV working properly than VOB, so I might actually revert the am commit.
Just one short question. Audio codecs, main ac3. Is it supported in kodi? I'm running isengard
Interesting stuff on the deinterlacing. What is so different about DVD format MPEG2 that it causes issues on a number of platforms? (VOB wrapping?)
I've even taken these mpeg2 .vob files and re-wrapped them in .mpg containers and the same playback problems occurs.
Please share this info Smile

(2015-12-03, 10:32)tomisa Wrote: [ -> ]

Could you share the file please or how can I compile it myself?
I uploaded here the latest master compiled with the included patch.