Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BTW, I'm loving using latest SPMC on Shield... it's great to have suggestions from own Kodi library show up on the main Android TV menu, at the top. Nice work Koying!
(2016-03-25, 04:18)PatrickJ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-20, 18:10)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-20, 18:05)PatrickJ Wrote: [ -> ]Doh - that is what happens when you type under stress! Smile SMB, connecting to my QNAP NAS.

Patrick

Easiest fix would be editing it into your sources.xml file, use the kodi file manager to copy it on to your Nas and the edit it in notepad as per:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Sources.xml

And then use the file manager to copy it back in and overwrite the old one.

Overall, though, might be better to switch to nfs, if your qnap supports it.

Thanks for the answer tredman, but still cannot get it to work. Did as suggested - edited the sources.xml and copied it back to the Shield. If I now restart Kodi, indeed the user/password is still present in the sources.xml, but Kodi still has issues accessing the share. Well, sort of. If I go to the source directly via "Files", I can access my movies without any issues, even play them. This didn't work before. However, when going via Library it fails every time (get a message saying the file is missing asking if I want to remove it from the library). Also updating the Library fails. I removed all sources and started fresh, just in case, but with the same results. I turned debug mode on, and logged one Library update. This is what I see:

INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://serverName/**/**/**/**.mkv' (<--- Path edited)
unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'

To me it looks like the library procedures don't pick up the user/password from the sources.xml even though it's there - am I wrong? If I remove the user/password from sources.xml and manually add the credentials manually via the sources GUI all works perfectly, but then I need to re-do this every time I start Kodi. Unfortunately NFS is not an option due to the way the NAS is setup and synced with another NAS - long story. SMB credentials are setup correctly on the NAS, and where from other computers within the network.

Any suggestions? Cheers!

Quick update: I decided to start from scratch and re-install everything after clearing cache and app data. Now my SMB user/pass is stored correctly, so issue solved!
Can the Shield with SPMC now play all DVD images with menus correctly? I would like to replace all my mediacenters (2x Apple TV 1st Gen with CrystalBuntu and OSMC, Apple TV 3rd gen. and Vero) with the Shield, but I have a lot DVD images. Only the Apple TV with CrystalBuntu can play everything, the rest have different problems, especially with certain dvd-menus.
(2016-03-26, 10:41)pameijer Wrote: [ -> ]Can the Shield with SPMC now play all DVD images with menus correctly? I would like to replace all my mediacenters (2x Apple TV 1st Gen with CrystalBuntu and OSMC, Apple TV 3rd gen. and Vero) with the Shield, but I have a lot DVD images. Only the Apple TV with CrystalBuntu can play everything, the rest have different problems, especially with certain dvd-menus.

got only one ISO from a DVD and menu comes up fine but i have one ISO from Blu-Ray, and this one will only play the videos inside, the menu doesn't show up
(2016-02-26, 05:29)silentm Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone able to get a FTP client to work on the Shield TV? I usually stream movies from a remote linux server via FTP to kodi but I can't get it to connect to the ftp server. I tried ES File Explorer as well to try and connect to the FTP server but it's also not working. I don't know if this a bug with Shield TV? But it works fine on my old android TV box.

I used to have the same issue with ES File Explorer, was driving me crazy. I found that it would work on Wifi, but not if the ethernet port was connected. Eventually, I found that using a different app solved the issue. The FTP app I'm using is 'FTP Server': https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...r&hl=en_GB

Very easy to use and have been using that ever since on the Shield.

Download the APK to a USB stick and hook it up to your Shield. Use ES File Explorer to open the APK and install.

Hope that helps
(2016-03-25, 22:26)locki Wrote: [ -> ]buy 500gb model i wasting money ...

(2016-03-25, 22:35)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-25, 14:26)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]thanks @hdmkv and @ned scott - you think the 500gb pro model is necessary?
No. I have both, and with recent Android M and being able to treat mSD card as part of internal storage almost makes the 500GB version unnecessary. Unless you want to put a lot of games and ROM's on the internal drive. Even then, a large mSD should perform as well I'd think.

(2016-03-25, 23:41)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-25, 22:35)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-25, 14:26)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]thanks @hdmkv and @ned scott - you think the 500gb pro model is necessary?
No. I have both, and with recent Android M and being able to treat mSD card as part of internal storage almost makes the 500GB version unnecessary. Unless you want to put a lot of games and ROM's on the internal drive. Even then, a large mSD should perform as well I'd think.

Yep, with adoptable storage that was add with the 3.0 (Marshmallow) update you really don't need the 500GB model.

And if you need more storage than a microSD can give you then you can also adopt a USB HDD or SSD. When I first setup adoptable storage I was using a 500GB HDD on one of SATVs, but because I didn't care for having a spinning drive as adopted storage I switched it out for a 128GB USB 3.0 thumbdrive. But I'm probably going to swap that out for a 200+GB SSD later.

thanks again guys - so doing some research the 128gb EVO is $65 - for an extra $35 thinking it may be best to just get the 500gb model?
The 500GB is more convenient if you think you'll use 50% or more of that storage. Especially for that price difference. On mine, I have a number of space-hogging Android games installed, as well as emulator games.
Yeah. That's part of the plan. To use it for gaming as well.
(2016-03-27, 16:02)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]The 500GB is more convenient if you think you'll use 50% or more of that storage. Especially for that price difference. On mine, I have a number of space-hogging Android games installed, as well as emulator games.

Streaming games from a desktop is rather nice as well. Especially with Super Mario Galaxy with 8xMSAA via gamestreaming. Smile
(2016-03-28, 13:38)danjames92 Wrote: [ -> ]Streaming games from a desktop is rather nice as well. Especially with Super Mario Galaxy with 8xMSAA via gamestreaming. Smile
You can stream emulators with Shield?
PC based emulators yes with gamestream
Did someone tested 3D-Iso/MVC-MKVs with SPMC on the Shield device?
In a german board, someone succeeded to play 2 of his 4 Blu Rays with proper 3D decoding... I would immediately buy a Shield, if 3D is held out in prospect by Nvidia/Koying/Kodi-Developers Smile
I'd be amazed if that was true... I tested SPMC on AMLogic S812 & S905, and MVC 3D did not work. Will test on Shield later today and report back.
That would be very nice of you ! Thanks... I was also amazed, that this MAYBE could work. The guy at that forum posted 3 pics from his Mad Max Blu Ray; and it looks, as if he managed to get 3D working... i can post the link to that thread - if it's ok to do so?
(2016-03-29, 15:21)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be amazed if that was true... I tested SPMC on AMLogic S812 & S905, and MVC 3D did not work. Will test on Shield later today and report back.

Hurry hdmkv - my CC is about to slit my wrist on the Himedia Q10 Pro... if the Nvidia Shield can do even this then I'll grab it instead!

Or maybe I'll grab a NUC instead - but my hi10p needs...