Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is Netflix 4K working @Martijn ?
(2015-05-23, 21:11)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]And I've got 24p/50p/60p framerate switching working Wink
Probably no 23.976, though, although I never can tell due to my TV smoothing the thing.

Is this an Android thing or done via Kodi?
(2015-05-24, 08:51)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [ -> ]Is this an Android thing or done via Kodi?
That's an Android 5.0 thing, but it's not guaranteed to work on all devices.
It's an @Anssi poc, which also work on Nexus Player according to him. (https://github.com/anssih/xbmc/commits/a...shrate_wip)

See also https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...fire.tv.hz to test on your device if it will work
(2015-05-23, 19:44)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Not trying to make any one anxious but I'm now watching a 4K movie on the SHIELD Big Grin
Sadly my AVR can't do 4K@60Hz pass-through as it's only HDMI1.4a so cannot confirm HD audio (yet)

How well are VC-1 videos handled? Hardware, good enough on software, bad? Also MPEG2 hardware support? Does the device have a good hardware deinterlacer?

I am trying to return my Razer Forge TV boxes as the hardware deinterlacing is either non existent or horrible on the Live Channels and HDHomerun View app. VC-1 on that device is unwatchable as well on Kodi.

And the obligatory 24p/23.976? HD audio on 1080p?
My Questions
1. How good is usb hdd support? Does it support ntsf? Multiple usb drives?
2. Did they send you the 500GB version? Is it solid state or mechanical? does it look like it could be replaced easily?
(2015-05-23, 19:44)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Not trying to make any one anxious but

Yea, how did that work out for ya.....I believe you got quite a bit of us anxious.

Here is to hoping this device is as great as it looks on paper!! I've been happy with my Amazon FireTV, but would like to get rid of the occasional stutter on 1080p.

the_buzz_man
(2015-05-23, 19:44)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Not trying to make any one anxious but I'm now watching a 4K movie on the SHIELD Big Grin
Sadly my AVR can't do 4K@60Hz pass-through as it's only HDMI1.4a so cannot confirm HD audio (yet)

The big question is of shield need proprietary player for 100% support hardware or also work with Kodi most important function for media player:
- auto-switch fps
- 24/1001 (23,976)
- Audio HD
- PCM 192Hz

thanks.
I'm wondering if nVidia has included its own video/media player that Kodi could leverage (assuming it's any good) as an external player.
(2015-05-24, 15:32)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if nVidia has included its own video/media player that Kodi could leverage (assuming it's any good) as an external player.

I hope nvidia send 2 sample to kodi team for nice integration with good SKD and API with kodi or development a forks/derivatives.
Thumbs down to external players.
(2015-05-24, 11:01)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-24, 08:51)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [ -> ]Is this an Android thing or done via Kodi?
That's an Android 5.0 thing, but it's not guaranteed to work on all devices.

I don't understand, will kodi run on this? I'm guessing nvidia gave them away free for devs to get kodi on it. assuming Koying is the lead dev on android, then your trying to get kodi running on Android?

how far has the android platform come? when will it stand on equal footing with linux based Kodi? does sound good though Smile keep up the good work
(2015-05-24, 21:49)MediaPi Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand, will kodi run on this? I'm guessing nvidia gave them away free for devs to get kodi on it. assuming Koying is the lead dev on android, then your trying to get kodi running on Android?
You're kidding, right? Wink
LOL I wish I wasn't but I'm seriously clueless.. Tongue Whats the deal with the NVIDIA Shield?
Great news guys. I'm glad Nvidia seems to be interested in getting Kodi running on the Shield.

But I'm pretty sure I hate you guys right now. Wink

(2015-05-24, 14:32)calev Wrote: [ -> ]2. Did they send you the 500GB version? Is it solid state or mechanical?

Only a $100 more for a 500GB SSD................yeah, that would be pushing it a little.

(2015-05-24, 21:49)MediaPi Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand, will kodi run on this? I'm guessing nvidia gave them away free for devs to get kodi on it. assuming Koying is the lead dev on android, then your trying to get kodi running on Android?

how far has the android platform come? when will it stand on equal footing with linux based Kodi? does sound good though Smile keep up the good work

Kodi already runs on Android, so I don't even know what you're asking there. It's not a matter of getting Kodi to run on the Shield, it's a matter of getting Kodi to utilize all the capabilities of the Shield.
Patiently waiting for a detailed review. I think ill order one regardless just to stream my pc games. I am sure that part will work fine as nvidia promised.