Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-04-13, 00:59)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]Install Silicondust View app which you can then use their app or Google's Live Channels app (which is much better for me) to test with different software. I use Live Channels and have no freezing issues and the mpeg2 decoder works fine for my mpeg2 blu ray movies.

The SiliconDust View app only works w/ the newer HDHomeRun's. It won't work with the HDHR3 ones. And since Google Live Channels uses the View app, it won't work either.

I will try manually playing a video directly in Kodi and through MXPlayer in a bit and see if I can reproduce the freezing that way.
Sorry about that. Just read it as the CC model in my head. Either way, the Shield MPEG2 decoding is fine.
Suggestion:

- Attach a USB Keyboard and hit the 'O" key.
- Look for dc:amc-mpeg2 or similar for hardware decoding or
- dc:ff-mpeg2 for software decoding.

If its Software decoding, you are very likely getting Bob Software deinterlacing as well on an Android Lollipop / Marshmallow device.
The other question is are you using the correct video output refresh rate for video sync, is Kodi's dynamic Refresh Rate switcher ON ?

With the number of users reporting mpeg2 Broadcast TV issues in Kodi, this was the number one reason why I did not purchase a Shield and went with the proven AML devices for mpeg2 TV viewing purposes.
(2016-04-14, 05:27)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Suggestion:

- Attach a USB Keyboard and hit the 'O" key.
- Look for dc:amc-mpeg2 or similar for hardware decoding or
- dc:ff-mpeg2 for software decoding.

If its Software decoding, you are very likely getting Bob Software deinterlacing as well on an Android Lollipop / Marshmallow device.

With the number of users reporting mpeg2 Broadcast TV issues in Kodi, this was the number one reason why I did not purchase a Shield and went with the proven AML devices for mpeg2 TV viewing purposes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't able to reproduce the freezes reliably last night after un-commenting the hardware mpeg2 decoder in media_codecs.xml. It seems like it comes in spurts: When it happens, it happens alot but when it doesn't happen, it just doesn't. What I was able to verify though is when the mpeg2 decoder in media_codecs.xml is left as normal, that amc-mpeg2 is being used and when it's commented out Kodi is using ff-mpeg2. So, it does seems like the difference is the HW vs. SW decoder, but it's perplexing to me that no one else sees the problem. At the moment I've left the HW decoder enabled for now to see if I start getting the freezes again. It wouldn't matter that much to me except for how bad fast action looks w/ the SW decoder.
How annoying !
Its either your specific setup or the mpeg2 Hardware decoder and deinterlacer on the Shield needs some Lovin' and Tweaking in the Kernel itself.

Yes agreed Fast Action Sports viewing looks lousy when using Bob software deinterlacing, especially 480/576i SD content.
(2016-04-03, 02:37)wurlizer1928 Wrote: [ -> ]Painful volume problem in KODI on NVIDIA Shield

When I switch from watching Netflix or YouTube [or any other application] to KODI, as soon as I touch any volume control the KODI volume jumps to full and ear bleed level.

This will happen if I use the KORE remote app, the Yatse app, the Android TV app or even my Logitech keyboard.

It only occurs if I had been using another application other than KODI.

Even if I save the KODI sound settings as a default for all addons it will jump immediately to full volume as soon as I touch any volume control

After I back the KODI volume down it behaves perfectly well until the next time I leave, use another video app, then return to KODI.

My amp/speakers have NO remote control and I have them set to accommodate the lowest level from any of my applications so I can at least have sufficient volume.
I got the exactly same issue. Happy to not be alone. Did u solved the problem?
(2016-04-14, 05:57)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]How annoying !
Its either your specific setup or the mpeg2 Hardware decoder and deinterlacer on the Shield needs some Lovin' and Tweaking in the Kernel itself.

Yes agreed Fast Action Sports viewing looks lousy when using Bob software deinterlacing, especially 480/576i SD content.

Yes. However you also need to be aware of the source content that you are watching as well.

If you are watching 576/50i channels, then the bulk of what you watch will either have been shot at 50Hz (so called 'native interlaced') or 25Hz (so called 'film look' or '25p progressive'), or will have been shot at 24fps (usually film and US shows) but will be displayed sped-up to 25Hz (so can be treated the same)

The reason this is important is because it massively changes the visibility of deinterlacing artefacts.

Put simply, if a 25Hz programme has been correctly converted to 50i, then the two interlaced fields will be from the same source frame (*), and there will be no motion between them. This effectively is a progressive signal being carried in an interlaced signal. It can be deinterlaced just by stitching the two fields together as a basic weave, which is what no de-interlacing also does usually.

However a 50Hz programme will have motion between the two fields in a frames. So you have to do much clever deinterlacing to achieve decent quality results. (Bob is just a basic line-double - making a frame from each field by showing every line twice. You get more sophisticated deinterlacing techniques that reduce the artefact visibility, increasing vertical resolution and reducing jagged edges, particularly on diagonals. If you do a weave you end up with horrible combing on motion - particularly verticals moving horizontally - like the edges of letters on a ticker...)

So - why do I say and this? Because if two people watch the same channel with the same box and the same settings, one may think the box is amazing, and the other may think it is terrible. And all because they are watching different shows with different sources.

(*) There is an exception to this. In the days when everyone watched on native interlaced tube monitors, film content was routinely played 'out of phase', with the two fields of a video frame sourced from two different film frames. This had no effect at all to the viewer at home, as the fields were still displayed in the right order, and in the right position, the frame boundary was effectively entirely arbitrary. However when you use digital 'frame based' systems out-of-phase film transfers are a real pain. This is an issue for many people remastering old shows to DVD...

When it comes to 480i there is an added complication. 24p content is not shown at 24p, instead it is shown as 3:2 60i. This means there are video frames with fields from two different film frames. How deinterlacers handle this is even more complex... And again, can expose differences in deinterlacing compared to 60i native content...
Quote:I got the exactly same issue. Happy to not be alone. Did u solved the problem?

Not yet, I have just forced myself to make it a routine as soon as I launch KODI to drop the volume to zero. When I do forget, I wake up the house.
(2016-04-13, 00:59)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]Install Silicondust View app

Thanks, running this app on my NVIDIA Shield was flawless while the HD Homerun app running under KODI still buffers/studders.

I guess there must be some sort of overhead KODI incorporates which causes this. No problem though as KODI works so well for everything else I need to do.

Using the SiliconDust View app is almost like the old days of turning the channel and immediately seeing the video. Even my wife can figure out how to use this app.
By installing the View app the device adds a launch icon for "Live Channels" which is Google's interface that uses the View app (and any others you have installed) in a more traditional interface. You will lose DRM channels, but I only have a few of those and the interface is way better than the View app for me.
I'm wondering if anyone has found the best deinterlacing mode for the Shield. I've searched and there does not seem to be a consensus other than that the deinterlacing (bob, bob-inverted, or software mixed) kind of sucks. I was hoping to get better playback of some of my old Grateful Dead DVDs

---edit---
To be clear, I've ripped these DVDs losslessly to iso files. I like to have all the extras. I could re rip to mov files and deinterlace with Handbrake but I hear that degrades quality
(2016-04-17, 01:26)deaded Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if anyone has found the best deinterlacing mode for the Shield. I've searched and there does not seem to be a consensus other than that the deinterlacing (bob, bob-inverted, or software mixed) kind of sucks. I was hoping to get better playback of some of my old Grateful Dead DVDs
According to the technical reference manual for Tegra X1 SoC, these are the available hardware deinterlacing modes: Bob, Weave, NewBob, DiSi1.
(2016-04-17, 01:49)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-17, 01:26)deaded Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if anyone has found the best deinterlacing mode for the Shield. I've searched and there does not seem to be a consensus other than that the deinterlacing (bob, bob-inverted, or software mixed) kind of sucks. I was hoping to get better playback of some of my old Grateful Dead DVDs
According to the technical reference manual for Tegra X1 SoC, these are the available hardware deinterlacing modes: Bob, Weave, NewBob, DiSi1.

Then maybe I'm doing something wrong because the only options I get for deinterlacing are bob, bob-inverted, and software mixed. Does anyone know how I might get to those other options if they are available through Kodi?
(2016-04-17, 17:57)deaded Wrote: [ -> ]Then maybe I'm doing something wrong because the only options I get for deinterlacing are bob, bob-inverted, and software mixed. Does anyone know how I might get to those other options if they are available through Kodi?

There are quite a number of layers (Kernel / OS / API) between what the SoC ref manual says and what is available to Kodi...
I see. Not available. Not a huge deal. I'll see what happens deinterlacing it with Handbrake (and re-rip). The rest of my library seems fine.