Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does the shield output 23.976 hz on netflix ?
(2015-05-26, 05:54)blank Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-26, 00:13)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]vs. RPi 2 which meets your requirements.

I might be wrong here, but as far as I understand, the RPi 2 does not support true HD sound (Bitstreaming)?
No it won't pass them through, but it will transcode to PCM and pass that out, which is the same result (unless you have atmos).
(2015-05-26, 06:11)feathers Wrote: [ -> ]Does the shield output 23.976 hz on netflix ?
Maybe first you can provide a list of Netflix movies encoded in 23.976 FPS and 29.97 FPS so some specific movies there can be tested?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p#23.976p

Just mean to highlight that your question is a moot point in regards to Netflix if they do not have any movies encoded in 23.976p
(2015-05-26, 17:01)RockerC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-26, 06:11)feathers Wrote: [ -> ]Does the shield output 23.976 hz on netflix ?
Maybe first you can provide a list of Netflix movies encoded in 23.976 FPS and 29.97 FPS so some specific movies there can be tested?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p#23.976p

Just mean to highlight that your question is a moot point in regards to Netflix if they do not have any movies encoded in 23.976p
I swear last time I pulled up the codec info page on various Netflix movies running in Chrome on a Mac it was reported as 23.976fps
Why in the world are we talking about Netflix movies in this thread? Last I checked Kodi can't play Netflix at all, and we certainly aren't a Netflix support forum.
(2015-05-26, 21:59)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]Why in the world are we talking about Netflix movies in this thread? Last I checked Kodi can't play Netflix at all, and we certainly aren't a Netflix support forum.

Thank you!!

Now lets talk about 3D ISO support..
Now that you guys are talking about it (other than a sly reference Martjin made awhile back) is any NDA lifted or do we still have to wait until its officially released before more info is available?
All I need to know is if it plays movies better than the Fire tv.you guys can debate the technical jargon.
I'd be very surprised if it didn't perform better than Fire TV.
Agreed, it would be very surprising if the performance wasn't much better than the AFTV. As a matter of fact, there's probably not another ARM device available that would come close to the Shields performance.

I think the bigger question is, will it be the "all-in-one" device that will be comparable to something like the RPi2 or Chromebox in respect to Kodi function and features.
(2015-05-26, 23:29)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]All I need to know is if it plays movies better than the Fire tv.you guys can debate the technical jargon.

I don't actually know what this means. What areas of movie playback are lacking in the Fire TV?
Custom refresh rates, primarily.

Unaccelerated video like that anime format (h.10? something like that) will also play better on the chromebox's much faster CPU.
(2015-05-27, 03:02)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-26, 23:29)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]All I need to know is if it plays movies better than the Fire tv.you guys can debate the technical jargon.

I don't actually know what this means. What areas of movie playback are lacking in the Fire TV?
VC1, MVC, hardware deinterlacing mpeg2, 23.976
(2015-05-27, 08:41)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-27, 03:02)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]

VC1, MVC, hardware deinterlacing mpeg2, 23.976

Nope, nope, Yes (iirc), nope

You probably don't want an android device, actually Wink