Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Personally I wouldn't care if we pissed those sort of users off as they are exactly the type of high maintenance users we could do without.
(2016-08-26, 14:32)Soli Wrote: [ -> ]Well yeah, of course, but the more secure you make it, the more of a nightmare the logistics would be, and would seriously limit Kodi users too, and probably piss them off. And what about addon devs, are they gonna get a special version of Kodi that isn't locked down? Etc etc.

Indeed, they would limit users' ability to install unapproved addons, which is the whole point. Besides that, it'd be transparent to them.
Logisitcs is just run a 2 line script on the addon.
Addon devs is a fair point, but something could surely be arranged.

Anyway, you can breathe, the proposal has been shot down by most current team members Wink
(2016-08-26, 15:01)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I wouldn't care if we pissed those sort of users off as they are exactly the type of high maintenance users we could do without.
I'm with you there make it as difficult as you can for 'em I say. Even if it means taking a small hit to the Open-ness of Kodi Wink

(2016-08-26, 15:01)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, you can breathe, the proposal has been shot down by most current team members Wink
So the burden then gets shifted to end users and Kodi Moderators to try and clean up the resulting mess. It's no wonder I never bother helping much in the Android section of the Kodi forums any more. I actually encourage all other knowledgable Kodi users to do the same. We should all Down tools and let the Android Sub-forum collapse under the weight of its overwhelming number of problems.
(2016-08-26, 15:33)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]So the burden then gets shifted to end users and Kodi Moderators to try and clean up the resulting mess.

IIRC, those who shot down the proposal are those you never see on the forum Wink
I say we start a gofundme for a new android coder...Screw you guys I'm going home!!!
(2016-08-26, 10:33)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-26, 08:48)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Python add-ons are the single greatest security issue facing Kodi right now. MrMC working towards a realistic long-term replacement is going to be extremely significant for Kodi.
IMHO - Yes this is Exactly the crux of the No Android Dev. problem for Kodi right now. Python and Android Piracy is dragging down the whole Kodi project. No one including me wants to help the (mostly AML Asian Android) Kodi pirates make their illegal platforms run any better by contributing to Android Kodi Code.

So a dev. (MrMC) has the balls to actually tell it like it is and gets told to shut up, pissoff and is not welcome on the forums for presenting an alternative point of view. I actually welcome an open an frank discussion on the future of Kodi, Python and Addons, and if that includes MrMC and improvements that may be possible from an alternative fork then let it happen.

Talking of banning and shutting down a discussion just because a dev. rubs another dev. up the wrong way during a robust exchange of ideas, is frankly childish and not the way forward for the Kodi project.

Actually, I was talking about the technical way Kodi add-ons work rather than anything related to piracy.
(2016-08-01, 23:30)touser Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-01, 15:10)Protax Wrote: [ -> ]Anybody also had this? I've a combination Nvidia Shield / Logitech Harmony Touch.
I've configured the shield that it goes never into sleepmode.

The issue I have, is that for example in the morning when I wanna watch a serie (let the shield in the Kodi screen, or paused a serie), I turn on my devices via the Harmony.
TV goes on and switches on and to HDMI1, the Shield turns on (the green light starts burning), but the screen STAYS black.
When I press a button, I hear the sound of the serie running in the back.

Only option is to take the controller, en start it up then the screen turns on again.
Hopefully somebody has a fix for this issue! Smile

Yup, same issue for me with the same solution. No idea wtf is causing it, just another awesome bug that came along with the amazing 3.2 update.

You allready found a fix for this? Keeps frustrating, need to reset my device the whole time... Sad
So Kodi on Android is in dire need of devs, a new dev steps up and is told to get lost because of his opinions? Kodi is not defined by addons, addon by very definition isn't the core. What does MrMC lack besides that - that's right, nothing. And yet the dev who does this all in a GPL conformant way and provides a very easy way for new users to use Kodi is not welcome here?

In other news, a new Nvidia Shield may be coming out.
(2016-08-30, 00:07)MrCrispy Wrote: [ -> ]So Kodi on Android is in dire need of devs, a new dev steps up and is told to get lost because of his opinions? Kodi is not defined by addons, addon by very definition isn't the core. What does MrMC lack besides that - that's right, nothing. And yet the dev who does this all in a GPL conformant way and provides a very easy way for new users to use Kodi is not welcome here?

In other news, a new Nvidia Shield may be coming out.
No. This is an established dev who has been around long enough to have a history with others, for good and bad. He did not offer to take up android, though he was initially largely responsible for its presence on Android via the pivos box. He sells a fork for fire tv and apple tv called mrmmc.

Sent from my Nexus 6
Re: possible new Shield, my bet is on maybe a retooled model that has similar specs to the existing one, simply because there's not really any features "missing" from the current hardware. They might be modifying the appearance or maybe just the internals to be more cost effective, and a big enough (or all?) redesign probably requires new FCC certification, which is what everyone noticed.

This also seems in line with the new controller that might be lacking a headphone port. It's a great feature, but most probably weren't using it. They'll include a cheaper controller by default, but maybe still sell the headphone one as an option (or just refer people to BT headphones).

It's entirely possible they have their new SoC ready and simply want to show it off in a product, any product, and decided to use the Shield TV. I just think that's more likely to come out in 2017+. I think it's more likely that they know the $200 price point is pushing it in a market that focuses on sub-$150. Even though that price is justified in the Shield's case, but there's a psychological element to it for consumers. A MSRP in the $150 range (plus occasional sales to an even lower price to help promote it) can make a big difference, even though it's only about $50.
Im hopping the 2 generation SATV would come with High-end Features at Hardware & software level.

example
Source Direct or also called by sony original resolution
Dolby Vision
2 X Hdmi output (audio & video)
Cinema Mode picture settings
Gaming Mode picture settings
User picture settings
Hi All,

i finally got my shield at home. I've tried it a little bit but I'm still missing something. I focused a lot on video capabilities being sure that audio somehow would have been there... and now I have my problems. Tongue

So, this is what I have:
- LG 55EF950 (v04.25.10)
- Denon AVR-3311 (latest firmware)
- nVidia Shield (v3.2)

not having a HDMI 2.0a + HDCP 2.2 AVR, I would be happy if i could get either of:
- 2160p60 with 5.1 audio
- 1080p with HD Audio

I have tried two possible setups:
1. Shield attached directly to the TV and using ARC to pass audio to the AVR
2. Shield attached to the AVR

In the first case I can get 4K at 60hz but the audio is stuck at just stereo. Still trying to understand if I'm missing something in the configuration (on each device).
In the second case I am stuck with 4K at 30hz but at least I can get multi-channel audio. The problem here is I couldn't get any audio passthrough to work. Only PCM.

Of course I can give you all the settings I have on each device but maybe you can start by telling me if it's just possible:
- to have 5.1 audio passthrough using ARC
- to have the shield pass coded audio to my AVR instead of just PCM

I really appreciate your support. Thanks!

Update: all my test were done using SPMC. I've just tried Plex out of curiosity and ARC works in passthrough! I can see Dolby Digital or DTS on my receiver display. This means I can focus on the shield/SPMC only! Huge step forward! Tongue
Please google first what is ARC (audio return channel)

ARC is useful only you want "extract" or send Audio "out of the TV" for example from smart TV apps or TV tuners.
Since you have a AV receiver let the DENON be the central Hub, where all sources are connect, the AV receiver handles the audio (send to speakers & video send to TV)

Content
Make sure you have correct audio track with DTS-HD or TrueHD

Source
Make sure the SPMC option RAW/ Passthrough dts-hd or TrueHD is ON

PS: since you have a AV receiver use all source connect to Denon, don't make sense to connect all sources to TV and them use ARC...
Most TVs , including LG, won't accept anything but 2 channel stereo on their HDMI inputs. They will only pass encoded audio from built-in apps.
Of the all the majors, only Sony (and maybe Philips?) will accept encoded audio from HDMI inputs and redirect it to optical/arc. And even then it's possibly limited to DD only.

Apart from that, I agree with coutu to use the receiver as the Hub.
If 4k60 is important to you, then get an additional HDMi 2.0(a) switch with arc or optical output. You won't get HD sound unless that switch is also able to output to 2 HDMi outputs (one of them only for sound). Then again, it might make more sense to upgrade the receiver.
(2016-09-01, 11:52)Soli Wrote: [ -> ]If 4k60 is important to you, then get an additional HDMi 2.0(a) switch with arc or optical output. You won't get HD sound unless that switch is also able to output to 2 HDMi outputs (one of them only for sound).
Do you have an example of an HDMI switch that is actually able to do that?

I would love a box that can do...
- HDMI Output 1: HDMI 2.0a picture stuff (HDR10, BT.2020, 2160p60, 10 Bit, the lot...)
- HDMI Output 2: Just (HD) audio

If you know such a switch, please share! Smile