Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They say 1 controler, Remote sold separately !!

Wish it had a dedicated digital out, rather than mixed in the HDMI

Seems nicely powerful !!!!
(2015-03-04, 10:42)kuldan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-04, 09:02)meridius Wrote: [ -> ]I am interested but I bet it's the same as all the other android boxes no pass hd audio and no refresh change as all android box are stuck in 60hz. If these can not be changed it makes this box useless.

I have never understood the urge to framerate-adapt.. I tried it, and the subjective results on my TV (47" LG) are not visible at all compared to my 60hz driven setup as it is right now... I don't see/feel a difference, not even when doing horizontal sweeps or anything...

It's vital if you live in Europe and/or hate 3:2 pulldown and have a TV which will display 24p without 3:2. Believe me, 50Hz content displayed at 60Hz looks terrible. 10Hz motion judder on linear movement is horrid.

I seriously can't watch content displayed at the wrong frame rate. I had to sell my first HDTV because it displayed 24p movies at 60p with 3:2, and replaced it with one with a proper 24p mode. If you have grown up in a 60Hz region where 3:2 has been standard for decades, you may well be used to it. Many of those of us who live in a 50Hz region where 2:2 is used really do see it and find it very difficult to cope with.
(2015-03-04, 11:30)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Considering the expected performance of this unit, and how far Android gaming has come (even just emulators make it worth it), $200 seems like a very good price for this. It's more than you need for just Kodi, but games are a great compliment to movies Smile

Normally I would say it would be better to go for an x86 box at $200, but this could easily be a better value for a lot of people.

It's $200 with a controller, without the controller it would be only $140.

That would be around Chromebox prices and if it'll at least do everything a CB will do, plus play PC quality games, stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, etc., then I'd say it would be more than worth it for that.

I guess will see exactly what it will do around May.

If nothing else, it's pretty exciting to know that this will probably force anyone else in or getting into the Android box market to release bigger, better and cheaper devices.
If this device has HDMI 2.0 (which the 4K at 60fps suggests) then it could be very interesting. If Android 5.0 finally supports refresh rate switching it could be very interesting. I'm not holding my breath for Android HD Audio support (what commercial content will have HD Audio which can be 'legitimately' played on such a device?) though.
The reason Android TV (5.0) might support HD Audio is because unlike previous version of Android it's designed to be the OS on TV's and BD players and not just STBs or phones/tablets.

So the chance of it supporting HD Audio is much greater.
(2015-03-04, 11:55)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]The reason Android TV (5.0) might support HD Audio is because unlike previous version of Android it's designed to be the OS on TV's and BD players and not just STBs or phones/tablets.

So the chance of it supporting HD Audio is much greater.

That's true - and thinking about it - it may support it for pass-through devices as well.

However it will be interesting to see how locked down it is to keep content creators happy... (Ditto AACS implementation)
There's no chance of Android TV supporting HD audio as it comes packaged from Google at the moment, Andriod 5.0 is bumping the supported sampling rates from a fixed 48KHz to a maximum of 96KHz, however for HD audio 192KHz is required. Perhaps Google will finally release a decent media OS when it comes to 6.0.
(2015-03-04, 11:49)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]If Android 5.0 finally supports refresh rate switching it could be very interesting.
It's in the code but not officially enabled yet by Goggle as it still buggy, one of our dev's has already played with it to see how difficult it would be to add support for it to Kodi.
Noticed something interesting in the specs at http://shield.nvidia.com/console:

"Audio - High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI"

They must have done some tweaks to the Android 5.0 audio layers if that is truly the case, if so then HD audio playback maybe possible after all.
(2015-03-04, 13:17)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Noticed something interesting in the specs at http://shield.nvidia.com/console:

"Audio - High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI"

They must have done some tweaks to the Android 5.0 audio layers if that is truly the case, if so then HD audio playback maybe possible after all.

Big Grin and that's all I have to say about that.

Well, except this:

Processor NVIDIA® Tegra® X1 processor
256-core Maxwell™ GPU with 3GB RAM
Video Features 4K Ultra-HD ready with 4K playback and capture up to 60 fps (VP9, H265, H264)
Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB
High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB

Storage* 16 GB
Wireless 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
Interfaces Gigabit Ethernet
HDMI 2.0
Two USB 3.0 (Type A)
Micro-USB 2.0
MicroSD slot
IR Receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)
Software Updates SHIELD software upgrades directly from NVIDIA
Gaming Features NVIDIA GRID™ game streaming service
NVIDIA Share
NVIDIA GameStream™
Power 40 W power adapter
Weight and Size Weight: 23 oz / 654 g
Height: 5.1 in / 130 mm
Width: 8.3 in / 210 mm
Depth: 1.0 in / 25 mm
Operating System Android TV™, Google Cast™ Ready
Included Apps PLEX
What about 3d games? Even in kodi?
Also it will have built in netflix support etc, so you can say goodbye to the hacks and throw your chromecast in the bin (or put it in another TV) Smile

http://gizmodo.com/nvidia-shield-console...1689267278

Quote:The HDMI port can output a 4K signal. While Nvidia isn't expecting a lot of 4K games, the company says 4K Netflix and 4K Google Play Movies and TV will come to the microconsole.
Hopefully that HD audio passthrough line will be for other app and not just Nvidia's ones.

Then it just needs:

24p support (and switching back to 60p, or 25/50 for those across the pond).
MPEG2 support (for the LiveTV app at a minimum but also for some of my blu rays)
VC-1 support (see above about blu rays).

Add that in with Netfilx, Amazon, Hulu, and Youtube with some light gaming you have a box that perfectly compliments everything but hardcore gaming (non streaming) and blu ray discs. This could live next to my PS4 and have high WAF. My chromebox can go back to being a chromebox.
This looks very interesting. Was considering the Razer Forge, but may just hold out for this.
(2015-03-04, 18:24)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]This looks very interesting. Was considering the Razer Forge, but may just hold out for this.

Problem with the Forge is we know as much about it and it's release date as we did 2 months ago.