Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-07, 11:21)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-07, 09:44)KaBoS Wrote: [ -> ]I am confused I do not know buy NVIDIA SHIELD 2 or Minix NEO Z83-4
The simple Answer is do you need to use Android Apps. Particularly for viewing Protected online, streamed video content very easily from Apps like Netflix, Amazon etc ?

Do you want a device that is basically Plug N Play and only having to use one App for Kodi use only - that being the Kodi for Android TV optimised App - SPMC ?
(no need for MX Player at all)

Would you like to Voice Search your entire Kodi media Library. ?

Need ChromeCasting capabilities ?

Wireless remote controllers ?

Android TV, hands down is much easier to use as a integrated, versatile, flexible media player device compared to Windows.

Personally I would go with the device that is the easiest to use day to day, with fewer bugs and better ongoing support.
Otherwise for Android devices you turn into a media player Firmware test pilot.
This is very important for any Android media player.

If I wanted Video Post Processing of the decoded video I would fiddle with my TV's video Enhancement settings instead of buying any inferior Android Kodi media player.

Next question...
What type of media do you consume ?
List codecs, resolutions, audio etc, particularly important for upscaling ?

I'm not that clued in with MPC-HC & madVR on Windows, but I believe you will very likely get better quality video upscaling of non 1080p content using that combo than with the Shield. Someone with more knowledge about video upscaling on both devices will be able to give you a better answer.

Are you aware of the MPC-HC External Player drawbacks as listed HERE ?

Thank you so much wrxtasy To reply

The simple Answer is do you need to use Android Apps. Particularly for viewing Protected online, streamed video content very easily from Apps like Netflix, Amazon etc ?

IA little bit streamed video
_________
Do you want a device that is basically Plug N Play and only having to use one App for Kodi use only - that being the Kodi for Android TV optimised App - SPMC ?
(no need for MX Player at all)

(no need for MX Player at all) = i need MX Player Because I can Full control subtitles Height line,shadows ,etc.
These options do not exist in the Kodi default player .

Some times

Of course I agree with you

I'm not that clued in with MPC-HC & madVR on Windows, but I believe you will very likely get better quality video upscaling of non 1080p content using that combo than with the Shield. Someone with more knowledge about video upscaling on both devices will be able to give you a better answer.

Are you aware of the MPC-HC External Player drawbacks as listed HERE ?

For me This is a very important point
I wanted a device Windows to only for MPC-HC & madVR
I did not personally try madVR But I find a lot talking about madVR
madVR The best picture quality madVR Best of Show Filter , etc

I watched this a month ago MPC-HC External Player but the first & last page Only

My Movies , h.264 MKV Blu-ray 1080p Multi some Encoder & REMUX / Audio 5.1 Dts or DD , True or dts-mas

My Music VID & Others Videos , MP4 & AVI

Some videos / 4K h.264 or h.265

----------------------------------
Yesterday

Before watching your reply

I read many review to nvidia shield & minix

And Yesterday I pre order nvidia shield

Oh man Big Grin Wonderful device

No comparison With MINIX

And After reading your reply

I knew that I chose the right option Smile

Thank you so so much .
Any hope that the new software rollout for existing Shield will solve the issue with Hires flac being down sampled through Kodi/Android?
(2017-01-08, 11:48)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]If you guys want to understand the technical stuff that goes on Dolby Vision read the first 2 or 3 pages of this topic in avsforum why sony & samsung aren't using dolby vision.

The see page 11 #post 301 where theres a link to the podcast in avforum.
Bit of a dated article already. As of CES 2017 Sony have released their flagship Bravia OLED's with DolbyVision.

I've read the DV White paper as well.
(2017-01-08, 02:37)PantsOnFire Wrote: [ -> ]Other possible hardware improvements? Well... Ok maybe we can't up the cpu, but why ditch the sd slot? Things like that are useful. And how about a bit more storage? 16gb isn't reaaalllly a whole lot.

And please don't say 'just buy the 500 then' because thats a different price point.

Question, Always-on, very cool that it can control the home.. I wldnt have much use for it, I tend to live in a more traditional environment... But is this to say... Tv must be on for Google voice response to be heard? (through tv speaker)

The remote should have been included but it wasn't. For the holidays last year they were bundling the remote, even at that magical $150 price point from AMZN. While it's not as optimal, many people will buy the gamepad and remote from eBay, so if they aren't valuable to you reselling is a good option. I know several who purchased the $150 deal from Amazon last year and sold the gamepad for $35, making their bottom line $115 with remote

A little more storage would have been nice, but actually don't buy the 500GB. It's nearly useless and you'll have worse performance with its hybrid OS drive. Spend the difference in cost between the 16GB and pro on a USB3.0 drive. If you are like many old time Kodi users you may have a good SSD that you replaced with an m2 drive, a USB enclosure pairs nicely. Whichever way, "adopting" a USB drive through the adoptable storage option gives much better performance than saddling yourself with the lower overall performance of the 500 GB model

Speaking of ... adoptable USB3.0 is much greater overall than the SD card options, removing that slot was best

The mic for the always on assistant is supposed to be in the gamepad, but I am not sure if the TV speakers need to be on or if the Nvidia "spot" speakers will playback your response for you
Don't take speculations from an avsforum member as facts. Espescially when it's pure bs.
(2017-01-08, 15:40)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]A little more storage would have been nice, but actually don't buy the 500GB. It's nearly useless and you'll have worse performance with its hybrid OS drive.

I have the Pro and 2 16GB models and the performance is exactly identical, so there's no "worse" performance in either.

The Pro is probably overkill for most people and the 16GB model with adopted storage would provide more than enough storage, but performance is not a factor.
Sony implemented DV only in the Oled panels and Top of the line X94 and X93, and the interesting part it that they dont implement dolby vision in X90 or X85 series.

Like the article theory mention the big manufacturers like samsung & Sony didnt implement DV, because with DV in their range of TVs the Picture quality would match their expensive panels with some 1000$ Visio TVs..

Here Quote from the OP in the article before Sony implement Dolby Vision

Quote:Sony doesn't want to use it because they just dropped all of their money on their x1 4k processor. Samsungs got their own thing. It's actually quite fascinating and in the end it means better quality is coming to cheaper tvs. And it also explains why netflix and others are moving to support it as well - the hordes of cheap budget sets in the near future will be sold by brands that aren't going to spend the r&d themselves and will just license from dolby vision. This also explains why dolby vision must be supported in every part of the chain. Dolby Vision has 2 fundamental components:

The Dolby Vision "Composer" component is the function of the software to create, receive and decode the metadata. The Dolby Vision "Display Management" Component, which is REQUIRED by a TV that has dolby vision, then takes control of the processing end of the Television and tells the display what to show and how to show it.

The Composer portion of Dolby Vision is much like HDR 10, its just the required support to receive and decode the signal.

The required Display Management component of Dolby Vision is what Sony and Samsung are all up in arms about because it bypasses their own proprietary processing technology in favor of Dolby Vision's standardized processing technology.

Back to Nvidia Subject, Dolby Vision needs to be built -in the Hardware to do "its thing" and in my Opinion if there was some possibility to Nivida have DV by Firmware im sure they wouldn't miss it.
(2017-01-08, 15:44)Soli Wrote: [ -> ]Don't take speculations from an avsforum member as facts. Espescially when it's pure bs.

See this podcast on this link avforum at about 23 minutes
(2017-01-08, 15:44)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-08, 15:40)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]A little more storage would have been nice, but actually don't buy the 500GB. It's nearly useless and you'll have worse performance with its hybrid OS drive.

I have the Pro and 2 16GB models and the performance is exactly identical, so there's no "worse" performance in either.

The Pro is probably overkill for most people and the 16GB model with adopted storage would provide more than enough storage, but performance is not a factor.
Was for many https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV...rformance/

I didn't realize that was a recall that Nvidia took care of

Like you said, no longer an issue for new purchase, but still very little reasoning or justification after the addition of adoptable storage
Hi,

I'm facing kodi/Spmc GUI slowness when using my own confluence skin (just two smarplaylists added in Movies sub-menus)

Enterring video menus took a lot of times (around 3s more than usual), whereas it's smooth on my little rpi

I thougt the culprit might be my skin, so I try to copy confluence skin and put it on my add-on folder.
And result is the same, it's slower than 'default' confluence.
I can't explain!

I don't use SD card or external drive, just the 16go internal storage.
Could it be a mounting option different from /root and /sdcard that can explain that same skin don't run the same?
Any recommendation?
Thanks,
Edit
(2017-01-08, 10:37)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]A new Pascal Tegra wouldn't necessarily mean it would use less power, and since there's no successor to the X1 it's conjecture. Improved clock speed doesn't matter, nor does improved 3D gaming performance matter since there is nothing currently using the full performance of the X1 and any future gaming performance could probably be improved by utilizing Vulcan, which no game currently does. And I don't know what being passively cooled would do since the with the current Shield the fan is inaudible and no matter what SoC was used, cooler is always better.

Are we talking about games made exclusive for the ShieldTV/Android TV or basic Android games? Because from what I have read over the last year the Android TV ecosystem has not got much love from big game developers. We can't say GeForce NOW streaming is a good test for any game as well.. And most likely GeForce NOW is limited to what kind of PC hardware and your network speed you have..

So either PC gamers are doing it wrong and using the wrong hardware or it's a lack of options to really test the Shield TV hardware to say it doesn't need a upgrade.

How can you sit here and say it wouldn't use less power when that has been the trend for almost all things electronic and computer related.. While the current set up is inaudible it still hasnt been pushed.. So theoretically if and when a game is made to push the Shield it will probably turn up a bit. Buuuut I bet you'll tell me otherwise..Rolleyes
(2017-01-09, 05:33)sandogo1 Wrote: [ -> ]GeForce Experience - Update 5.0 preview just released with amazon video and Android 7.0
Not sure what that means. That there is a preview image that you can install, somewhere?
Some interesting info on the Hands free Google (Voice) Assist found on the new Shield in this article:

https://9to5google.com/2017/01/07/nvidia...listening/

Further articles talk about Google Assist coming to the Android TV Mi Box as well.

New to all this, please clarify a few issues.

I have two 3TB HDs with MP4s and ISOs. Now that the SD slot is gone how can I expand the internal memory as the two USB ports will be taken up by my two HDs ?

How far will the 16g internal actually take you ? I intend to add a few games, apps and of course KODI. Is the 16g considered decent for a light gamer and user.

What is meant by 'adoptive storage' ?

And as far as ISO files, I didn't see it listed for the Sheild 2, can anyone confirm if Kodi/Shield can play ISO ?

Thank you...