Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will kodi run on the nvidia shield console?
(2015-05-30, 00:16)Phoenix101 Wrote: [ -> ]Will kodi run on the nvidia shield console?

Yes I used the APK install from a few pages back and it works fine for my media.
(2015-05-30, 00:36)cstmstyle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-30, 00:16)Phoenix101 Wrote: [ -> ]Will kodi run on the nvidia shield console?

Yes I used the APK install from a few pages back and it works fine for my media.

How did you install the APK? USB drive does not seem to be getting recognized in mine.
(2015-05-30, 01:15)Kris404 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-30, 00:36)cstmstyle Wrote: [ -> ]

How did you install the APK? USB drive does not seem to be getting recognized in mine.

install ES file explorer from the Play Store. DO this in your PC web browser and choose your Shield TV as the device to install to. Then open the app on the Shield TV and browse to your drive and choose the APK. Make sure you allowed installation from unknown sources in your settings as well.
(2015-05-30, 01:34)cstmstyle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-30, 01:15)Kris404 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-05-30, 00:36)cstmstyle Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I used the APK install from a few pages back and it works fine for my media.

install ES file explorer from the Play Store. DO this in your PC web browser and choose your Shield TV as the device to install to. Then open the app on the Shield TV and browse to your drive and choose the APK. Make sure you allowed installation from unknown sources in your settings as well.

Thanks. Did just that, installed via desktop web browser: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....pop&hl=en
I know this isn't kodi related, but has anyone gotten a version of chrome running that doesn't run at smart phone resolutions? I sideloaded normal chrome from the play store and it's hilariously bad on the shield.
Kodi installed just fine, having a few issues:

1) The colors area all washed out. I think it's because of RGB colorspace. Anybody know how to change it to YCbCr?

2) Video stutters every 9 seconds or so for 23.976 H.264 content
Touser you could give maxthon for tablets a try from the google play store or heck try out firefox as well.
(2015-05-29, 22:25)Ganesh_AT Wrote: [ -> ](b) Adds 3:2 pull down support for smooth 24 FPS video playback : Media enthusiasts will always be troubled by the 3:2 irregular cadence resulting in judder when playing on a 60 Hz display.
Ha Ha
At least they acknowledge 3:2 judder on their device. It's a failure at the first hurdle for smooth video playback with the Shield.
It is an Android OS based device after all, so to be expected.
(2015-05-29, 19:11)david.kennedy Wrote: [ -> ]Guess we won't know till July when the HDR standards are announced. Just a guess now how many devices will be able to meet the forthcoming standards. Not sure how Samsung can claim they already can meet the standards already but fair play if they think they have it covered.
Another reivew from UK shows that it supports HDR:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue65js950...234012.htm
Interested in getting a Shield Console as a 2nd 'htpc' device .... depending on performance might actually replace HTPC.

So - can anyone who's got one in hand let me know the following?

Boot speed - assuming it's normally on standby so fast (like other android devices)
Sync Frame Rate - this is no.1 for me ... is it able to output 24/50/60 w/o judder?
Bitstreaming - can it passthru' all audio inc. HD codecs?

Cheers!
So far the reviews suggest :
Quote:Sync Frame Rate - this is no.1 for me ... is it able to output 24/50/60 w/o judder?
60Hz only - 24p stuff runs at 3:2 by all accounts.
No discussion about 25p/50i stuff - but sounds like this, at least currently, is also 60Hz.
Quote:Bitstreaming - can it passthru' all audio inc. HD codecs?
No - there is reasonably limited codec support for the box (including passthrough). No Dolby True HD, not DTS HD MA/HRA pass through (as even pass through requires a licence apparently). And no MPEG2 decoding in hardware. Of course Kodi now has, in some builds, lossless decoding of DTS HD and Dolby True HD HD audio - so that might be good enough?

Here's hoping support for frame rate switching improves though - the box is very promising, particularly as it has CEC and proper HDMI 2.0 (including HDCP 2.2) 2160/60p 4:4:4 output.
The test build at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158 do support frame rate switching
Thanks... should have my Shield today. Looking forward to testing.
Got it last night.. installed kodi.. live tv works fine.. some high bit rate files played flawlessly. I dont have surround sound so could not test it.. but overall excellent build quality and wonderful pq.