Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Netflix, Hulu, hbo go, etc basically the same as on the fire TV? As in App quality and whatnot.
When should we see Kodi in the regular Android TV store on the device?
I've played around with my nVidia Shield for about 3 hours. It basically feels like a more powerful Fire TV, but with not as nice a UI as it, nor its polished user experience. I'm impressed overall, but there's plenty of room for nVidia to improve this box.

I sideloaded Kodi for Shield here. ESFileExplorer remote install was first necessary from my computer's web browser to the Shield.

What's Cool:
  • Sideloaded Kodi appears immediately on home screen (a plus over Fire TV, which requires re-syncing and/or de-activating/re-activating)
  • Kodi performance is as fast as with my Chromebox (navigating, snappiness)
  • Video PQ is very good (but, not as quite good as Chromebox); not sure yet, need to watch some BD rips to decide
  • Played almost all my test video files I threw at it (full BD rips, high bitrate files)
  • No issues playing Birds and Jellyfish clips up to 120Mbps (impressive)
  • MPEG2 1080i & 720p files (saved, and live TV) play fine only if I disable 'Deinterlace Video'. If enabled, whether I choose bob or any other option, video is jittery (especially when there's movement, pans, similar to VC-1 interlaced issue I've noted below)
  • Even w/o h/w acceleration, VC-1 plays fairly well. 1080p/23.976 (ex: 'Constantine' BD rip) plays well, but 1080i/29.970 not so well (see below)
  • My camcorder 1080p/30 and 1080p/60 (up to 35Mbps) files play perfectly (Fire TV can't, and neither can HiMedia Q5 4K)
  • Paired Amazon's bluetooth Fire TV Stick remote to Shield. Took a couple of tries, but works well (need to hold 'Home' button for about 5-10 secs before doing a Bluetooth scan; may need to repeat)
  • Able to install apps not present in Google Play onto Shield via Google Play via web browser on a PC
  • Easy to sideload any games or apps (APK's); some work well, some not (as with Fire TV)
  • Able to install Amazon's app store and download my purchased Fire TV games. But, app won't show on home screen; must go to Settings > Apps to locate and launch. Not all apps/games show up on home screen (some can only be accessed via Settings > Apps)
  • Gameplay is excellent! Tried Beach Buggy Racing, Asphalt 8 and Cordy 2, which all play better than on Fire TV box and other Android boxes I've tried (including an Amlogic S812 box)
  • Game controller is excellent; little heavy, but great for gameplay (better than Amazon's controller)
  • Apps/games can be set to move to microSD automatically (I just have a 16GB mSD for now, but plan to get a 64GB) or USB storage automatically (most can be moved, and this functionality works better than with Fire TV)
  • My iRainy gyro air-mouse keyboard combo did work (was necessary in Amazon app store app)

What Needs Improvement:
  • VC-1 1080i/29.970 (ex: Eagles Farewell Melbourne content BD rip) plays w/o stutter, but there's judder (almost a strobe-like effect) in camera pans or any movement
  • No HD audio is a big miss (nVidia is considering this, so hope they add support)
  • No full 3D support is also disappointing (but, not surprising as nVidia like others are opting for 4K instead); I can only hope an alternate solution for 3D is possible (but not holding my breath)
  • Android TV UI is so-so (my first experience with it); Fire TV seems better organized, less ackward, more polished
  • Main UI has 'recommended' content based on your installed apps/usage, which can't be customized (to me, a waste of the best real estate there)
  • Using included game controller isn't fun for anything that's non-gaming TV experience (and $50 for nVidia's remote is too pricey)
  • Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad doesn't work (not recognized)
  • All my Amazon apps (Leo's Fortune, Badland, Rayman Fiesta Run, Sky News) installed fine on Shield, except Wind-up Knight 2. Wonder why?! Tried twice and install failed both times

More testing necessary, but that's it for now. Does anyone know if there's a way to add installed apps that don't show up on home screen to have them show up on home screen?
Hdmkv, is it possible to install Amazon prime instant video app on there?
(2015-05-30, 18:48)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]The test build at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158 do support frame rate switching

Needs TVHZ app or not?
(2015-05-31, 04:00)Gustovier Wrote: [ -> ]Hdmkv, is it possible to install Amazon prime instant video app on there?

Nope. There is this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-pl...k-t3107309

It will install, but when you run it, it says there's a new version and to install it.

You can sideload the Prime Instant Video app, which will install and run, but I believe it may require a browser which the Shield doesn't have. I didn't try anything beyond were it said "you don't have the required app" or something to that extent.
Does the Shield not support .mkv containers natively?

Here is a snipped from a .json readout from within Emby media server regarding the Shield...no .mkv listed.

"DirectPlayProfiles":[{"Container":"mp4,m4v","AudioCodec":"aac","VideoCodec":"h264,mpeg4","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"3gp","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"webm","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"mp4,m4v","AudioCodec":"aac","VideoCodec":"h265","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"mp3","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"aac","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"mjpeg","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"3gp","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"amr-wb","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"g711-alaw","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"g711-mlaw","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"webm,webma","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"oga,ogg","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"raw","Type":"Audio"}],
(2015-05-31, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ][*]Main UI has 'recommended' content based on your installed apps/usage, which can't be customized (to me, a waste of the best real estate there)

In the settings you can choose which apps you want to display recommended content. Turn them all off, or enable only the ones you want to see recommendations from.
Dev thread for test builds created here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228361
(2015-05-31, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I've played around with my nVidia Shield for about 3 hours. It basically feels like a more powerful Fire TV, but with not as nice a UI as it, nor its polished user experience. I'm impressed overall, but there's plenty of room for nVidia to improve this box.

I sideloaded Kodi for Shield here. ESFileExplorer remote install was first necessary from my computer's web browser to the Shield.

What's Cool:
  • Sideloaded Kodi appears immediately on home screen (a plus over Fire TV, which requires re-syncing and/or de-activating/re-activating)
  • Kodi performance is as fast as with my Chromebox (navigating, snappiness)
  • Video PQ is very good (but, not as quite good as Chromebox); not sure yet, need to watch some BD rips to decide
  • Played almost all my test video files I threw at it (full BD rips, high bitrate files)
  • No issues playing Birds and Jellyfish clips up to 120Mbps (impressive)
  • MPEG2 1080i & 720p files (saved, and live TV) play fine only if I disable 'Deinterlace Video'. If enabled, whether I choose bob or any other option, video is jittery (especially when there's movement, pans, similar to VC-1 interlaced issue I've noted below)
  • Even w/o h/w acceleration, VC-1 plays fairly well. 1080p/23.976 (ex: 'Constantine' BD rip) plays well, but 1080i/29.970 not so well (see below)
  • My camcorder 1080p/30 and 1080p/60 (up to 35Mbps) files play perfectly (Fire TV can't, and neither can HiMedia Q5 4K)
  • Paired Amazon's bluetooth Fire TV Stick remote to Shield. Took a couple of tries, but works well (need to hold 'Home' button for about 5-10 secs before doing a Bluetooth scan; may need to repeat)
  • Able to install apps not present in Google Play onto Shield via Google Play via web browser on a PC
  • Easy to sideload any games or apps (APK's); some work well, some not (as with Fire TV)
  • Able to install Amazon's app store and download my purchased Fire TV games. But, app won't show on home screen; must go to Settings > Apps to locate and launch. Not all apps/games show up on home screen (some can only be accessed via Settings > Apps)
  • Gameplay is excellent! Tried Beach Buggy Racing, Asphalt 8 and Cordy 2, which all play better than on Fire TV box and other Android boxes I've tried (including an Amlogic S812 box)
  • Game controller is excellent; little heavy, but great for gameplay (better than Amazon's controller)
  • Apps/games can be set to move to microSD automatically (I just have a 16GB mSD for now, but plan to get a 64GB) or USB storage automatically (most can be moved, and this functionality works better than with Fire TV)
  • My iRainy gyro air-mouse keyboard combo did work (was necessary in Amazon app store app)

What Needs Improvement:
  • VC-1 1080i/29.970 (ex: Eagles Farewell Melbourne content BD rip) plays w/o stutter, but there's judder (almost a strobe-like effect) in camera pans or any movement
  • No HD audio is a big miss (nVidia is considering this, so hope they add support)
  • No full 3D support is also disappointing (but, not surprising as nVidia like others are opting for 4K instead); I can only hope an alternate solution for 3D is possible (but not holding my breath)
  • Android TV UI is so-so (my first experience with it); Fire TV seems better organized, less ackward, more polished
  • Main UI has 'recommended' content based on your installed apps/usage, which can't be customized (to me, a waste of the best real estate there)
  • Using included game controller isn't fun for anything that's non-gaming TV experience (and $50 for nVidia's remote is too pricey)
  • Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad doesn't work (not recognized)
  • All my Amazon apps (Leo's Fortune, Badland, Rayman Fiesta Run, Sky News) installed fine on Shield, except Wind-up Knight 2. Wonder why?! Tried twice and install failed both times

More testing necessary, but that's it for now. Does anyone know if there's a way to add installed apps that don't show up on home screen to have them show up on home screen?

Thanks!
(2015-05-31, 09:35)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]In the settings you can choose which apps you want to display recommended content. Turn them all off, or enable only the ones you want to see recommendations from.
Good to know, thanks.

Re: Prime Instant Video, another option is this Kodi repo (with Prime video add-on), which has been working great for me.

Re: Amazon app store, I'm finding some oddities. They show a 'moving to external storage in background' type message, but never get moved. And, most of them don't show up on home screen.

(2015-05-31, 04:43)jmcguire525 Wrote: [ -> ]Needs TVHZ app or not?
I'd like to know this as well, whether necessary with Kodi dev test builds.
For apps to be displayed on the home screen the Android App Manifest needs to show support for the Leanback launcher and a few other things I believe.
Prime instant works if you CAST it to the Shield from your desktop browser. Not an ideal solution but at least it works
(2015-05-31, 16:57)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]For apps to be displayed on the home screen the Android App Manifest needs to show support for the Leanback launcher and a few other things I believe.
...which Amazon apps may not support. They work well enough by going to Settings > Apps and launching however.

Another issue I'm seeing is when you reboot the Shield via power option on home screen, I get an "Invalid Format" error on my HDTV. I must unplug and re-plug HDMI cable and it works. Weird, and different HDMI cables made no difference.