Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-06-04, 04:34)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]I will wait till they release a version without the game-pad,by then all the kinks will be fixed.

Pretty sure they'll never do that. Their main focus is still gaming, after all...
Koying any improvements on the 25 fps file running badly? Anyword on a new release with further fixes?
(2015-06-04, 02:28)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-04, 00:40)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Nah, don't bother trying, just leave the shield in its box Big Grin
I'm actually considering putting it back in the box and returning it. It's powerful, games play well, but Kodi experience is frustrating (MPEG2 namely, VC-1 less than ideal, crashing) and box itself has issues (namely Android TV being less than Amazon's Fire TV experience, fewer games/apps, some apps crashing). The HDHomeRun app often crashes when Live TV app is launched, but works okay when launched by itself. Similar behavior with Pluto.tv.

I don't know, I really want to like this thing and it has a lot of potential... and that's the keyword: potential. I went back to Chromebox with OpenELEC in my living room after trying out Shield for 5 days. I'm going to come back late this year or early next I think and see where Shield stands as a media player. Hoping Amazon releases a more powerful Fire TV box with more storage, as even with its walled garden, I feel they provide a better Android-variant TV experience than Google itself.

What movies are you seeing VC-1 issues with? After I saw this posted last night I quickly went through some of my title and couldn't see any issues other than one that I quickly switched to from another video and had some visual anomalies that cleared themselves up by stopping and restarting the movie.
With 'Constantine' (Keanu Reeves) or any 23.976 (and also 29.970) HD DVD or BD rip, playback isn't smooth. There's a kind of judder, shimmer, kind of a strobe-like effect in camera pans or any movement.

I have a feeling Shield will improve in weeks, months ahead, especially with Kodi devs being as good as they are. As I have Amazon Fire TV boxes and Chromeboxes, the issue for me for now is Shield doesn't replace either as an all-in-one local media player, gaming device nor content apps resource. Gaming performance is excellent, but selection isn't as good as Amazon's... lack of Minecraft comes to mind. Same is true of content app selection. For both, I find Fire TV more enjoyable to use (selection, user experience). And, for local media playback, it's no Chromebox. Think I'll just wait and see how development progresses, and jump back in later... basically when it can be both a Chromebox and Fire TV replacement.
I actually watched a few minutes of Constantine last night. I don't remember any problem. Of my ~300 blu ray rips I believe only 8-10 are not 23.976. I'll give a few more flicks a go after work. I don't believe I checked out too many panning shots though.

I tend to be annoyed by judder and being that I project @ 126" it is usually easy to see.
Me too, similarly sized 133" screen Smile. I'll test a couple more titles as well.
Off on a 3-week trip, so can't do anything for a while... will keep up with this thread though.
One thing I miss from my OpenELEC install is the ability to adjust the sharpness in the video settings. Is this something that will/could make its way to the Android port or is that just not possible?

Also, if headphones are plugged into the remote, Kodi seems to crash immediately after launching.
Looks like 23.976hz and more codecs support is being considered by Nvidia, i think that might help in fixing most Kodi issues on the Shield

here is the thread, the more users posting the better chance they do something about it:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...upport-/1/
(2015-06-04, 15:15)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]With 'Constantine' (Keanu Reeves) or any 23.976 (and also 29.970) HD DVD or BD rip, playback isn't smooth. There's a kind of judder, shimmer, kind of a strobe-like effect in camera pans or any movement.

I have a feeling Shield will improve in weeks, months ahead, especially with Kodi devs being as good as they are. As I have Amazon Fire TV boxes and Chromeboxes, the issue for me for now is Shield doesn't replace either as an all-in-one local media player, gaming device nor content apps resource. Gaming performance is excellent, but selection isn't as good as Amazon's... lack of Minecraft comes to mind. Same is true of content app selection. For both, I find Fire TV more enjoyable to use (selection, user experience). And, for local media playback, it's no Chromebox. Think I'll just wait and see how development progresses, and jump back in later... basically when it can be both a Chromebox and Fire TV replacement.

I'm not seeing anything like that either. All my 23.976 movies play without any judder or shimmer and the one 29.970 file (Short Circuit) seems to be fine also, although I haven't watch it all the way through.

As for the number of apps available, you should keep in mind that when the AFTV was launched there were very few apps for it. It took a while to start getting to the point we are now with the number of apps offered for the AFTV and the same will be true for the Shield.

Fortunately, pretty much all the apps available for the AFTV could be easily added for Android TV. It's mainly up to the developers to make the necessary changes to make their apps show up as Android TV compatible.
Allegedly the update for Google Play for ATV is going to show many more apps that were compatible but "hidden" before without an explicit search.
Yep, saw that here. The VC-1 issue may be related to the display I've was trying out on. Haven't given up on Shield by any stretch; will re-try later this year after seeing how development progresses.
(2015-06-04, 23:25)hifiaudio2 Wrote: [ -> ]Allegedly the update for Google Play for ATV is going to show many more apps that were compatible but "hidden" before without an explicit search.

There seem to be a lot more now. But ultimately I got a Shield/Forge for three apps. Live Channels, Netflix, and Kodi/Plex. I actually like the front end of Plex better for Android TV (and obviously the server component) BUT the front end has a few quirks, there is no continous play, I have no idea why I have to be signed in to their server, and they just can't seem to get their crap together for playback. Playback screen is unimpressive and unintuitive (used to be better). It's slow to skip through content or make sure it isn't transcoding, which is all it wants to do for the Shield for content that should be supported. Forced subtitles don't work, and subtitles require transcoding. Then there is the issues they introduced and never fixed with audio sync on Google TV devices a few years ago. Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a rant about that program but it's a shame that they and Kodi have pluses that compliment each where the other's minuses are.
Do you have HDHomeRun? It has trouble loading channels in Live Channels app for me.
Because the device doesn't support mpeg2 in hardware and the HDHomerun app doesn't have a license for it either.
One of the reasons Plex may want to transcode things you think it should not is that Shield inexplicably does not natively support .mkv containers.