Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you guys recommend to get this device or cheomebox with i3 . Mean use if for kodi . Full hd movies and 3d etc . Whos better
Chromebox is the better device right now, but you don't need the i3 version. This box has Netflix + other apps. If Nvidia does add codecs/better refresh rate support it will be up for debate then.

Also, the deinterlacer (1080i h264) isn't very good. At least not as good as the Chromebox. Only options I get are bob/bob-inverse.
Saberzaid.;
3d chromebox;
any online service Nvidia,
any h265 Nvidia,
the cromebox (unless an I3) will never be able to do 4k properly.
(2015-06-06, 23:15)atlasproject Wrote: [ -> ]the cromebox (unless an I3) will never be able to do 4k properly.

Err - my Celeron 2955U Chromebox does 2160/24p H264 stuff with VAAPI acceleration with no problems and very low CPU. Sure it won't do HEVC 4K, and it won't do 2160/50p or 60p over HDMI as it isn't HDMI 2.0 - but it does do some 4K content with no problems at all. I've got a Sony UHD 4K set and a Celeron Chromebox (Asus) and an i5 Haswell NUC. There is little difference between them when it comes to H264 4K content playback in OpenElec.
(2015-06-06, 23:58)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-06, 23:15)atlasproject Wrote: [ -> ]the cromebox (unless an I3) will never be able to do 4k properly.

Err - my Celeron 2955U Chromebox does 2160/24p H264 stuff with VAAPI acceleration with no problems and very low CPU. Sure it won't do HEVC 4K, and it won't do 2160/50p or 60p over HDMI as it isn't HDMI 2.0 - but it does do some 4K content with no problems at all. I've got a Sony UHD 4K set and a Celeron Chromebox (Asus) and an i5 Haswell NUC. There is little difference between them when it comes to H264 4K content playback in OpenElec.

Noggin
I stand corrected. :-)
(2015-06-06, 23:15)atlasproject Wrote: [ -> ]Saberzaid.;
3d chromebox;
any h265 Nvidia,

thanks

so my chrombox with i3 dose not support h265 ?

if you compare minix x-8-plus (amlogic 812 ) with chromebox with i3 what you will choice, i dont care about 4k for now cuz i dont have 4k tv
(2015-06-07, 09:01)SABERZAID Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-06, 23:15)atlasproject Wrote: [ -> ]Saberzaid.;
3d chromebox;
any h265 Nvidia,

thanks

so my chrombox with i3 dose not support h265 ?

if you compare minix x-8-plus (amlogic 812 ) with chromebox with i3 what you will choice, i dont care about 4k for now cuz i dont have 4k tv

The Chromebox will support software decoding of H265 but doesn't have hardware decoding. What resolution and bitrate you can decode on an i3 I don't know - I would expect 720p and at least modest bitrate 1080p would work, possibly even higher bitrate stuff?
So on my kodi setting shall i change from hardware to software ? Or keep it as hardware ? What about amlogic 812 device if you compare it with chromebox i3 . And nvidia new box . 4k and 2k not important for now as i said cuz i dont hv 4k tv
Leave the settings the way the Kodi devs intended them to be. Wink

Play video files and hit the "O" key to pull up the codec panel.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kodi+codec+panel

As an example, I have a 2.7 Ghz i5 iMac and see between 16-44% CPU load across 4 cores when playing a HEVC/H265 file that software decodes in Kodi. This file hits a maximum bitrate of 11Mb/s. Video quality is superb.

Ultimately there will be a 1080p H265 max bitrate limit that the i3 will hit when software decoding when the CPU will run out of grunt.
Its likely somewhere between 20-30Mb/s may be around the max limit for the i3. Someone will need to do some proper testing to find out for sure.

No one has done enough extensive testing of H265 playback with the N. Shield / Minix / i3 to give you any definite answers.
Its all too new.
(2015-06-07, 10:18)SABERZAID Wrote: [ -> ]So on my kodi setting shall i change from hardware to software ? Or keep it as hardware ? What about amlogic 812 device if you compare it with chromebox i3 . And nvidia new box . 4k and 2k not important for now as i said cuz i dont hv 4k tv

If you select hardware and play content with a codec that your box can't decode in hardware, it will revert to software decoding. So you should be fine leaving your Intel NUC with hardware decoding enabled. Normally the default settings are good. There are exceptions to this rule, Intel boxes can't hardware decode 1080i VC-1 but can decode 1080p VC-1 - so you need to deselect VC-1 VAAPI if you have interlaced VC-1 content - usually TV series or concert Blu-rays.

If you have an i3 Chromebox and 4K isn't an issue for you, I doubt the Shield offers much to you. The Chromebox will do HD Audio bitstreaming and proper 23.976/24.000/50/59.94/60.00 frame rate switching, whereas the Shield doesn't bitstream HD Audio nor does it appear to do full refresh rate switching?

If your H265 content is within the CPU decode parameters of the i3 in the Chromebox you will be fine. (The Celeron Chromebox has more limitations in this regard than the i3 Model)
(2015-06-03, 10:59)RockerC Wrote: [ -> ][quote='noggin' pid='2019689' dateline='1433319349']
23.976p, 23.98p, 25i, 29.97i, 30i, 50i, 59.94i, 59.94p, and 60i are not supported because Nvidia/Google have not added support for them in Android, and no news if they will add them.

Intel and Amlogic Kitkat support these modes.
I think this box is designed for gaming, not for video playback.
Nvidia is always weak when talking about video playback and decoding stuff.
It's indeed not their primary field, but I can assure you they are committed to satisfy the Kodi users Wink
(2015-06-07, 11:44)kenofstephen Wrote: [ -> ]I think this box is designed for gaming, not for video playback.
Nvidia is always weak when talking about video playback and decoding stuff.
You mean apart from leading the way in video playback and decoding hardware...

Don't forget these are the people who gave the world vdpau.
(2015-06-07, 11:48)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]It's indeed not their primary field, but I can assure you they are committed to satisfy the Kodi users Wink

They seem generally pleasing in their forums by putting things up for discussion internally. Though they haven't mentioned anything when I complain about the lack of motion compensated deinterlacing. Hopefully that and the two or three missing video frame rates get address via a free update. I don't mind ponying up for a codec license pack to fill in the remaining missing features.