Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It doesn't come pre-installed (yet)
Thats sad. I was hoping i could replace my fireTV with this box. Maybe i should with for M TV boxes. It sounds like most of the improvements will come then.
It's sad that it doesn't come pre-installed? Seriously?
(2015-06-17, 16:04)TwistedisAGod Wrote: [ -> ]Thats sad. I was hoping i could replace my fireTV with this box. Maybe i should with for M TV boxes. It sounds like most of the improvements will come then.

Why? You can just install it yourself
I would rather have less things preinstalled on my hardware. Less to disable later then. Not hard to install from the play store.
does bittorrent android app get installed on this ? or sideloaded ?

was thinking to 500gb one if bittorrent app works
(2015-06-17, 17:20)ankurs Wrote: [ -> ]does bittorrent android app get installed on this ? or sideloaded ?

was thinking to 500gb one if bittorrent app works

Might be a question for the Nvidia forum. This is not a Kodi related deal so I doubt you will get any answer here.
Is the remote worth getting? I am finding the gaming controller a bit bulky for media/kodi use...
(2015-06-17, 18:31)iatacs19 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the remote worth getting? I am finding the gaming controller a bit bulky for media/kodi use...

imo no
It has no media buttons what so ever. Not for that price anyway
(2015-06-17, 18:33)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-17, 18:31)iatacs19 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the remote worth getting? I am finding the gaming controller a bit bulky for media/kodi use...

imo no

Disclaimers:
-I just setup up a couple days ago for the first time and I'm still messing around with it so some of this may be because I haven't done things correctly.
-Using Kodi version from the Android TV Gplay store.
-I paid significantly less real money for the remote than msrp.

Industrial design is really nice. It's half aluminum and half shiny black plastic. You will get it looking greasy especially the volume groove. I think they should have went matte on the plastic and I may just try to take it apart and do that myself. It is also very thin.

I think if you have kodi setup the way you want it and all you are doing is navigating and playing video it could be ok. For the most part a lot of Kodi is accessible with just the directional pad and select; it just takes a couple more button presses.

You can't for ask Kodi to scrape a specific series because that context menu is mapped to the (X) button on the controller which doesn't exist on the remote. You can navigate to the side panel and do an entire library refresh.

Without the extra buttons during playback you need to hit the center button to get to the media player menu to pause, change or turn on/off subtitles, I don't actually know if aspect ratio is an option there, not sure what else you would want to adjust during playback, etc.

The directional and select work as you'd expect. If you want to FF or Rew however it's only good if you don't hold down the buttons because it starts jumping too quickly. I can FF through an entire episode in less than a second or so. Again that might be an issue with my setup.

Back button (<|) isn't (B) on the controller. It leaves the video playing in the background most of the time, I think my experience with it is that the action is not absolutely deterministic. The (O) button puts Kodi in the background and kicks you back to the Android TV interface.

Volume slider is capacitive and you have to swipe in larger motions for the volume to change. It feels like there's a slight delay and I'm not a fan of capacitive buttons in general. I don't think you can just tap the top and bottom to change the volume incrementally although I haven't thought to try until this post.

I haven't used the 3.5mm jack on the bottom yet. Voice search is Android voice search.

I'd like to see software, not sure if this is a Kodi or nvidia mapper thing, to differentiate between a short and a long press like the Logitech harmony does. Probably gives you 3 more buttons (<|) (O) and (select)

Since I'm still setting up I still need to use the controller. I plan on only using the remote once I rename my files correctly and figure out how to only incremental update the library from my Synology. Hope this helps you figure out if it's worth your $49.99.
(2015-06-17, 19:28)fudd Wrote: [ -> ]

imo no

Disclaimers:
-I just setup up a couple days ago for the first time and I'm still messing around with it so some of this may be because I haven't done things correctly.

Industrial design is really nice. It's half aluminum and half shiny black plastic. You will get it looking greasy especially the volume groove. I think they should have went matte on the plastic and I may just try to take it apart and do that myself. It is also very thin.

I think if you have kodi setup the way you want it and all you are doing is navigating and playing video it could be ok. For the most part a lot of Kodi is accessible with just the directional pad and select; it just takes a couple more button presses.

You can't for ask Kodi to scrape a specific series because that context menu is mapped to the (X) button on the controller which doesn't exist on the remote. You can navigate to the side panel and do an entire library refresh.

Without the extra buttons during playback you need to hit the center button to get to the media player menu to pause, change or turn on/off subtitles, I don't actually know if aspect ratio is an option there, not sure what else you would want to adjust during playback, etc.

The directional and select work as you'd expect. If you want to FF or Rew however it's only good if you don't hold down the buttons because it starts jumping too quickly. I can FF through an entire episode in less than a second or so. Again that might be an issue with my setup.

Back button (<|) isn't (B) on the controller. It leaves the video playing in the background most of the time, I think my experience with it is that the action is not absolutely deterministic. The (O) button puts Kodi in the background and kicks you back to the Android TV interface.

Volume slider is capacitive and you have to swipe in larger motions for the volume to change. It feels like there's a slight delay and I'm not a fan of capacitive buttons in general. I don't think you can just tap the top and bottom to change the volume incrementally although I haven't thought to try until this post.

I haven't used the 3.5mm jack on the bottom yet. Voice search is Android voice search.

I'd like to see software, not sure if this is a Kodi or nvidia mapper thing, to differentiate between a short and a long press like the Logitech harmony does. Probably gives you 3 more buttons (<|) (O) and (select)

Since I'm still setting up I still need to use the controller. I plan on only using the remote once I rename my files correctly and figure out how to only incremental update the library from my Synology. Hope this helps you figure out if it's worth your $49.99.

I'm curious to know if there is a way to turn off the tv on the remote? Also, if you are using Live Channels can you give voice commands to enter channel numbers and/or names?
(2015-06-17, 19:32)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious to know if there is a way to turn off the tv on the remote? Also, if you are using Live Channels can you give voice commands to enter channel numbers and/or names?

If there is a way to do that via a button press in Kodi/AndroidTV via add on, app or otherwise that does CEC then yes? I'm not planning on using CEC yet so I'm just pulling info out of my nether region at the moment. Otherwise there is no specific button for that on the remote.

the voice search button only goes to Android TV voice search as far as I know. Once again some software support would be needed to map things. I've done absolutely no research on this either.
(2015-06-17, 19:45)fudd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-17, 19:32)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious to know if there is a way to turn off the tv on the remote? Also, if you are using Live Channels can you give voice commands to enter channel numbers and/or names?

If there is a way to do that via a button press in Kodi/AndroidTV via add on, app or otherwise that does CEC then yes? I'm not planning on using CEC yet so I'm just pulling info out of my nether region at the moment. Otherwise there is no specific button for that on the remote.

the voice search button only goes to Android TV voice search as far as I know. Once again some software support would be needed to map things. I've done absolutely no research on this either.

I guess I was asking if there was a power off/sleep button and the answer is no. Wink

imo no

Disclaimers:

Thank you for your input.

imo no

Disclaimers:

Just use the remote controller app?