Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-06-19, 10:35)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-18, 19:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Nvidia PQ has always been the best one around. When I first got my Shield, I did not use the HDMI 2.0 cable provided since my old one was already attached to the TV. Last night, I finally got around to using it and I was amazed at the improvement in the PQ.

Err - are you serious? There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable - the standard hasn't changed. Unless you had errors in your signal (visible as small dots or drop outs) with your old cable then your picture quality can't have changed unless you also changed resolution. HDMI is a digital signal, if there aren't errors, then a $1 cable will deliver identical pictures to a $99 cable or a $999 cable. There has been no requirement to change cables with the HDMI 2.0 standard.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/4k-hdmi-cabl...-nonsense/

I swear by it.. my eyes dont deceive me. I might have a bad cable I guess. But there is quite a bit of difference ...
(2015-06-19, 11:59)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-18, 19:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Nvidia PQ has always been the best one around. When I first got my Shield, I did not use the HDMI 2.0 cable provided since my old one was already attached to the TV. Last night, I finally got around to using it and I was amazed at the improvement in the PQ.

Err - are you serious? There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable - the standard hasn't changed. Unless you had errors in your signal (visible as small dots or drop outs) with your old cable then your picture quality can't have changed unless you also changed resolution. HDMI is a digital signal, if there aren't errors, then a $1 cable will deliver identical pictures to a $99 cable or a $999 cable. There has been no requirement to change cables with the HDMI 2.0 standard.

I swear by it.. my eyes dont deceive me. I might have a bad cable I guess. But there is quite a bit of difference ...

If you are in the same viewing mode (i.e. same resolution and frame rate) and your TV is in the same viewing settings, and your previous cable didn't show errors (i.e. small flashing pixels or vertical lines dropping out) then there can't be any technical reason for this.

The same 1s and 0s travel down any HDMI cable. If they are correctly detected at the other end (i.e. you don't get flashing pixels or lines - which are both signs of errors) then there is no difference in the signal being carried. If your old cable wasn't delivering artefacts like flashing dots, lines of breakup, random large area blocks of colour (often green or magenta) or flashes to black, then it is unlikely it was doing anything worse than your old cable.

HDMI 2.0 in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 50/60p UHD mode runs at higher clock rates than HDMI 1.4 in 1080/50p or an HDMI 2.0 signal carried 4:2:2 UHD 50/60p so it does put more demands on a cheaper cable - but if you don't see errors as mentioned above then your cable is working correctly.

Better cables don't deliver higher quality pictures via HDMI - that's the point of digital connections. It's why different hard drives and USB flash storage don't deliver different picture quality when storing the same file. As long as they can deliver the data rate required, you get an identical picture.

Whatever you are seeing is unlikely to be a result of your cable. It's basic physics.

Try getting someone else to keep changing the cables without telling you and watch the same content the same way every time. If you can then tell the difference - let us know what the difference was. If you think the picture looks sharper, colours look more saturated etc. be interesting to know how...
(2015-06-19, 10:35)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Err - are you serious? There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable - the standard hasn't changed.

That article is from 2013 ... things may have changed a bit. While I agree a "better" hdmi cable won't produce a better picture, some things are supported in an hdmi 2.0 cable that aren't in older cables, at least on paper, mainly 4k @ 60fps, and hdcp 2.2, which may not matter because most hardware isn't up to that spec yet, but it's possible you could have a problem depending on your hardware and what you are trying to play.

I have a 4k Sony with 4 HDMI 2.0 ports, the Shield, and several 18.2Gbps cables. I'm actually curious now, I'm going to try and find the oldest cable I have and see if they still play my 4k test files (no idea what HDMI version they are though).

By the way, anyone looking to buy 18.2Gbps (hdmi 2.0 spec) cables, these are great, very thin, not expensive, and easy to route in entertainment centers.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=1...id=1025508

I already had a couple but they cleared out the pink color a couple months ago for between 99 cents (3 foot) and $3 (15 foot) per cable and I bought a bunch.

(2015-06-19, 14:45)essential Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-19, 10:35)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Err - are you serious? There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable - the standard hasn't changed.

That article is from 2013 ... things may have changed a bit. While I agree a "better" hdmi cable won't produce a better picture, some things are supported in an hdmi 2.0 cable that aren't in older cables, at least on paper, mainly 4k @ 60fps, and hdcp 2.2, which may not matter because most hardware isn't up to that spec yet, but it's possible you could have a problem depending on your hardware and what you are trying to play.

I have a 4k Sony with 4 HDMI 2.0 ports, the Shield, and several 18.2Gbps cables. I'm actually curious now, I'm going to try and find the oldest cable I have and see if they still play my 4k test files (no idea what HDMI version they are though).

By the way, anyone looking to buy 18.2Gbps (hdmi 2.0 spec) cables, these are great, very thin, not expensive, and easy to route in entertainment centers.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=1...id=1025508

I already had a couple but they cleared out the pink color a couple months ago for between 99 cents (3 foot) and $3 (15 foot) per cable and I bought a bunch.

Those have nothing to do with HDMI cables. Those are supported in the chipset.

There are 4 main variations of cables. "Standard" which don't support enough bandwidth for 1080p60. "High speed" which support enough bandwidth for anything in the HDMI spec. "High Speed with Ethernet" which I have never seen nor have I seen any devices that use them. Both high speed ones have been around since 2009. Finally there are "Active" cables which are for long runs. I use one for my projector which I needed a run of 30ft.
(2015-06-19, 14:53)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]Those have nothing to do with HDMI cables. Those are supported in the chipset.

There are 4 main variations of cables. "Standard" which don't support enough bandwidth for 1080p60. "High speed" which support enough bandwidth for anything in the HDMI spec. "High Speed with Ethernet" which I have never seen nor have I seen any devices that use them. Both high speed ones have been around since 2009. Finally there are "Active" cables which are for long runs. I use one for my projector which I needed a run of 30ft.

So as long as you have a "high speed" cable ... even if it's 6 years old, it'll play a 4k 60fps file as long as you have a TV and player capable of playing the file? I stand corrected.
Yes. I tend to buy Monoprice cables but even the cheaper ones I've been given with devices have never had a problem. 1's and 0's don't lie. High speed cables are all you need on short runs.
(2015-06-19, 15:12)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. I tend to buy Monoprice cables but even the cheaper ones I've been given with devices have never had a problem. 1's and 0's don't lie. High speed cables are all you need on short runs.

I couldn't get 4k60 to work on my TV until I got HDMI 2.0 cables - do you know why this may have been? I was under the same impression as essential.
(2015-06-19, 15:31)southlegend Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-19, 15:12)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. I tend to buy Monoprice cables but even the cheaper ones I've been given with devices have never had a problem. 1's and 0's don't lie. High speed cables are all you need on short runs.

I couldn't get 4k60 to work on my TV until I got HDMI 2.0 cables - do you know why this may have been? I was under the same impression as essential.

You probably had a "Standard" cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_...0_faq.aspx
Cheers!
Majority of passive High Speed HDMI cables will do fine with HDMI 2.0 devices if they have worked fine previously. This does not apply to active HDMI cables such as those with Redmere chip. Only the newer 18.2Gbps ones will work properly with HDMI 2.0 devices.
(2015-06-18, 18:48)rodalpho Wrote: [ -> ]Big difference from amazon and nVidia. Amazon bans Kodi entirely, nVidia features it in their update. I know which I would support, even though the Shield is twice the price.

Amazon's decision is wrong and stupid.
(2015-06-19, 07:24)rjadotte001 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I am planning to get the Nvidia Shield but I need someone to run a test on this Big Buck Bunny file and let me know how this video plays in Kodi with DTS/DolbyDigital/pass-through on.
1) Any sync issue with the video/audio?
2) Any drop frame?
3) Any freeze on the video or audio ?
4) Do you actually get DTS/DolbyDigital on your AVR?

Another question, since the Sheild doesnt have a SPDIF out, what is the best solution to get the Digital audio out to my AVR without using HDMI?

It's just a 1080p 60fps file, Shield should handle it well like a piece of cake.
Should try 4K 60fps file instead.

Not really, to meet the HDMI 2.0 standard the cable has to be really nice with thicker wires and good EMI shielding.
Cheaper cables may not handle it properly.
BUT, it doesn't cost more than US$5 to make a 100%-capable HDMI 2.0 cable.
(2015-06-19, 12:04)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-19, 11:59)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-19, 10:35)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Err - are you serious? There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable - the standard hasn't changed. Unless you had errors in your signal (visible as small dots or drop outs) with your old cable then your picture quality can't have changed unless you also changed resolution. HDMI is a digital signal, if there aren't errors, then a $1 cable will deliver identical pictures to a $99 cable or a $999 cable. There has been no requirement to change cables with the HDMI 2.0 standard.

If you are in the same viewing mode (i.e. same resolution and frame rate) and your TV is in the same viewing settings, and your previous cable didn't show errors (i.e. small flashing pixels or vertical lines dropping out) then there can't be any technical reason for this.

The same 1s and 0s travel down any HDMI cable. If they are correctly detected at the other end (i.e. you don't get flashing pixels or lines - which are both signs of errors) then there is no difference in the signal being carried. If your old cable wasn't delivering artefacts like flashing dots, lines of breakup, random large area blocks of colour (often green or magenta) or flashes to black, then it is unlikely it was doing anything worse than your old cable.

HDMI 2.0 in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 50/60p UHD mode runs at higher clock rates than HDMI 1.4 in 1080/50p or an HDMI 2.0 signal carried 4:2:2 UHD 50/60p so it does put more demands on a cheaper cable - but if you don't see errors as mentioned above then your cable is working correctly.

Better cables don't deliver higher quality pictures via HDMI - that's the point of digital connections. It's why different hard drives and USB flash storage don't deliver different picture quality when storing the same file. As long as they can deliver the data rate required, you get an identical picture.

Whatever you are seeing is unlikely to be a result of your cable. It's basic physics.

Try getting someone else to keep changing the cables without telling you and watch the same content the same way every time. If you can then tell the difference - let us know what the difference was. If you think the picture looks sharper, colours look more saturated etc. be interesting to know how...

Good points.