Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-06-22, 22:32)muheeb Wrote: [ -> ]can you anyone shed some light on this issue?

I've contacted Sheild android TV since the specs says that it supports HD audio, but the notes in wiki says that this is a known issue, it cannot do HD audio passthrough
---qoute
HD audio, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD & Dolby Atoms can not be passed through/bitstreamed, nor can those formats be software decoded and output as multichannel PCM (at this time). However, DTS (core from DTS-HD MA) and DD 5.1(AC3) can be passed through/bitstreamed or software decoded and output as multichannel PCM
----unqoute
http://kodi.wiki/view/Nvidia_SHIELD_Android_TV

so this is a limitation on Kodi's development? if this is true can someone tell us if this will ever be supported or not?

so is there HD audio passthrough or not?
(2015-06-23, 06:29)kenofstephen Wrote: [ -> ]so is there HD audio passthrough or not?
No HD audio passthrough at this time. Even Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 passthrough is suspect (5.1 passthrough works). Kodi doesn't even have the option to select "Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver". That said, NVIDIA is probably considering HD audio passthrough in a future firmware update.
(2015-06-23, 07:32)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-23, 06:29)kenofstephen Wrote: [ -> ]so is there HD audio passthrough or not?
No HD audio passthrough at this time. Even Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 passthrough is suspect (5.1 passthrough works). Kodi doesn't even have the option to select "Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver". That said, NVIDIA is probably considering HD audio passthrough in a future firmware update.

http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv
Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
??Huh
(2015-06-23, 07:53)kenofstephen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-23, 07:32)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]

Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
??Huh
Is that their native player? I don't see a mention of kodi on that page.
(2015-06-23, 08:37)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Is that their native player? I don't see a mention of kodi on that page.
One would assume that it would work on the native Android Video player, but that also doesn't passthrough Dolby Digital Plus 7.1. It is played as Dolby Digital 5.1 at incorrect speed. This is why I am referring to NVIDIA's statement about Dolby 7.1 surround passthrough as suspect.
Sorry I thought this was a kodi forum.
(2015-06-23, 09:36)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry I thought this was a kodi forum.

Are you saying that it is not appropriate to discuss hardware issues (related to Kodi) in the "Hardware" section of Kodi forum?
(2015-06-23, 14:34)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you saying that it is not appropriate to discuss hardware issues (related to Kodi) in the "Hardware" section of Kodi forum?

It's important because many current players can do 5.1 properly,
people are looking for a 7.1 capable player and if it's not.
Why go for it?
Anyway, mine has arrived today. Will check later.
No, the Shield does not pass-through HD audio.

Nvidia has already made a statement that they are looking into adding HD pass-through and decoding so it can be done natively, and apparently has told at least one person that it is coming in a later FW.

But even if it were possible it still requires implementation in Kodi for it to work in Kodi. It appears that Koying (or at least it had been add in git for SPMC) had made and attempt to get it to work but apparently wasn't able to. This could be because of a limitation of the current FW or that it was a failed attempt, I don't know, but there appears to have been an HD audio test, then it was reverted back.

And if you want native HD support, voice you request here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...st-thread/
The bright side is that the Foundation is providing me with proper AVR hardware, so if it can be done fw-wise, it will Wink
(2015-06-24, 07:48)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]The bright side is that the Foundation is providing me with proper AVR hardware, so if it can be done fw-wise, it will Wink

That's great news.
Yeah can't do proper testing without the proper hardware so glad to see your getting it
(2015-06-24, 05:28)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]No, the Shield does not pass-through HD audio.

Nvidia has already made a statement that they are looking into adding HD pass-through and decoding so it can be done natively, and apparently has told at least one person that it is coming in a later FW.

But even if it were possible it still requires implementation in Kodi for it to work in Kodi. It appears that Koying (or at least it had been add in git for SPMC) had made and attempt to get it to work but apparently wasn't able to. This could be because of a limitation of the current FW or that it was a failed attempt, I don't know, but there appears to have been an HD audio test, then it was reverted back.

And if you want native HD support, voice you request here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...st-thread/

Then their webpage is misleading...
"7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI"
It's a reasonable assumption that when they list 7.1 they're talking about passing through HD audio streams.

If they are "going to" add it, they should remove the 7.1 term for now... just my 2 cents.
Does the Shield do 7.1 PCM? If so then if it is playing a 7.1 PCM track and outputs this, they could argue that this is 7.1 passthrough (or they could argue that the hardware is capable of DD+ 7.1 passthrough but it is not enabled yet?)