Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't have as good an experience with my NP (I have had two), it has not been touched since I got my Shield. I use a Harmony remote so the NPs lack of IR receiver was annoying, even with my work around. The Shileds IR receiver allows for easier integration, and no lag issues. This helps hugely with getting better control over Kodi with button options.
I and many others experienced constant WiFi drop outs with the NP, I was the same as the other cases I read, it was the only device in the house to lose a connection. Having ethernet helps hugely. The NP does have a slower response to all files playing back via Kodi. I think this is a combination of the extra grunt (CPU & RAM) that the Shield has, plus a superior connection with ethernet.
Shield has 24P on Kodi, this is not working on NP.
It is very clear that the development of the Shield by both Nvidia and the Kodi team will far surpass what Google/Asus are doing with their hardware, nothing.
The Shields costs a good deal more than the NP, and in my case as they aren't available locally, it costs nearly 3 times as much to buy. But I think it's worth it and would get a Shield over the NP 100 out of 100 times.
I don't and won't use the Shield for gaming.
(2015-07-01, 12:22)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-01, 02:16)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]For a Kodi user.

Are there any Difference between the Nvidia Sheild and the Google Nexus Player?

Just comparing Kodi between the two, not really. The short comings with Kodi on Android TV are Kodi specific and not to one specific device.

If you're asking which one you should buy simply for using Kodi, buy the Nexus Player. It's cheaper, has a better remote and will give you virtually the same Kodi experience as the SAD. If gaming and PC-style gaming is something you want as well, get the SAD. But for just Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, etc. the Nexus Player is fine. Yes, it's wifi only, but I'm streaming 1080p encodes up multiple floors in my home (wifi N 5ghz) with no buffering. YMMV. Ethernet via USB OTG is also an option.

If you have a serious home theater with a big screen/projector and surround sound, I'd recommend an HTPC running Kodi under Windows or (my preference) OpenELEC instead due to HD audio support and more video post processing options. But if you're just looking for something to hook up to a TV to use Kodi, the Nexus Player is perfect. I have three Nexus Players for that purpose and sent back the Shield Android TV I purchased because it wasn't better (or equal to, really) than my OpenELEC install of Kodi.

See I disagree with that assessment. I have owned a FIRETV which I am assuming is comparable to NP hardware wise. Shield TV blows FIRETV out of the water, yes.. in terms of Kodi experience. It is much faster, smoother, NVIDIA has fixed the auto refresh rate switching and supposedly there are a few more enhancements in the pipeline. My experience is totally different from FTV.

Once again, just my opinion, since I have not actually used a NP, but I feel FTV and NP are probably more comparable.

Besides, if you want something more for Kodi, why would you want to rely on wifi? Thats one area where I have seen no compromise amongst Kodi users. I did not even spare a thought for NP due to lack of ethernet..
I am new with nVidia Shield Android TV (2 days in fact) but I am already frustrated.
I can't watch movies in 24p, I can't listen more than 48kHz audio files (FLAC, MKV, etc....).

Android had killed my dream (throw away my WDTV Live).
What is the point in create such huge device with such huge specifications if none of this can't me used?

My WDTV Live, old, 2.4Ghz with SMB weak protocol can't stream more than 20Mbits/s over wireless but....I can do everything else, I can set my video to 24p to any content or set to Auto to let WDTV decides. I can listen my Akira Hypersonic Edition (24bits 192kHz) and impress my friends and guests. My WDTV Live is old, slow, it has this little crashes when I need to turn off the power, but....I can do the all "Home Theater Best Practise".

What is the point in create a nVidia Shield Android TV with this MIMO 5Ghz, with a huge processor if I can't use his huge specs?

It's like Hodor (from Game of Thrones), he is big, he is strong, but have no brain, almost useless to real battles, only useful to carry "little things"...

I am disappointed.

and now I have this question: Who is the upgrade for WDTV Live ?

Thanks
Ivan
(2015-07-01, 20:50)iMilazzo Wrote: [ -> ]I am new with nVidia Shield Android TV (2 days in fact) but I am already frustrated.
I can't watch movies in 24p, I can't listen more than 48kHz audio files (FLAC, MKV, etc....).

What is the point in create such huge device with such huge specifications if none of this can't me used?

My WDTV Live, old, 2.4Ghz with SMB weak protocol can't stream more than 20Mbits/s over wireless but....I can do everything else, I can set my video to 24p to any content or set to Auto to let WDTV decides. I can listen my Akira Hypersonic Edition (24bits 192kHz) and impress my friends and guests. My WDTV Live is old, slow, it has this little crashes when I need to turn off the power, but....I can do the all "Home Theater Best Practise".

What is the point in create a nVidia Shield Android TV with this MIMO 5Ghz, with a huge processor if I can't use his huge specs?

It's like Hodor (from Game of Thrones), he is big, he is strong, but have no brain, almost useless to real battles, only useful to carry "little things"...

I am disappointed.

Thanks
Ivan

Have you tried going the Openelec route? Can Kodi on Linux do any of the stuff Shield TV is unable to do? You can always look at Chromboxes and NUCs if Kodi natively supports your requirements on Linux.

Kodi does 24p on Linux and I thought it was doing it on Shield TV as well. I dont know about higher bit rate music files though.
(2015-07-01, 20:50)iMilazzo Wrote: [ -> ]I am new with nVidia Shield Android TV (2 days in fact) but I am already frustrated.

I am disappointed.

Thanks
Ivan

Well, I can tell you from someone who came from WDTV Lives and who has had every version except for the Plus and the newest one (which is just a SMP without Netfilx) that WDTV's have been far from perfect. I even have the short lived Play, which pretty much everyone hated.

When they were launched they didn't do all the things they do now, even the latest Gen 3 models didn't pass-through HD audio and it took 1-2 yrs. before they even got that feature. As well, there is still a mp4 bug that, as the last I heard, wasn't fixed.

So yes, the WDTV's can do a lot of things that the Shield currently can't, but it took a long time for them to get to where they are. So have a little patience, Android "M" which should get a final release around Aug or Sept. (and which Nvidia said they will be updating too) will bring better video and audio support. Also, some issues are just specific to Kodi on Android and have nothing to do with the Shields capabilities.

It takes time to get these things implemented on new devices, those of us who were early adopters of WDTV's had to wait a long time, as well as deal with a lot of bugs, before they worked as they do now.

As for the NP, it's probably a perfectly decent device, but it's really just Google's test bed device. It will most likely never go beyond any standard Android TV features and as far as I know neither Google nor Asus is working with Team Kodi as is Nvidia, which has taken interest in making the SATV a good Kodi device.
If Android for Kodi can't be improved with Shield Android TV, then I don't know what official box can. We have 23.976 and externally supported solutions for HD audio and 3D/MVC with Chinese Android boxes to date, but there are issues here and there. But, I'm thinking with nVidia, we have the best chance yet to get proper, non-kludgy 23.976 and HD audio support. MPEG2 h/w support is now there.
@iMilazzo - Kodi at the moment might not be doing 192/24 audio, but the device can do it. Kodi can already do 1080@24p if your TV supports the mode switch (note that 4k is a different story, there was a bug that is supposedly being fixed in the next os update for 4k refresh rate support).
Just curious but now that kodi is available on the playstore is that the best place to get any updates for it on the Shield? Where do I get the night lies from and how do I know what's in them?

Thanks

I can listen my Akira Hypersonic Edition (24bits 192kHz) and impress my friends and guests. My WDTV Live is old, slow, it has this little crashes when I need to turn off the power, but....I can do the all "Home Theater Best Practise".
nVIDIA SATV can play 24/192 FLAC files. Google Music Player and MX Player plays them fine. Kodi, Neutron Player, PowerAmp etc. seem to be limited to 48kHz. Yes, it is a fact that 23.976 playback is faulty at this time. Apparently, nVIDIA is working to fix it. The WDTV that you talk about took many years to fix 23.976 playback.

I take it that you have ultrasonic super tweeters to playback the effects of Akira Hypersonic edition. Slightly off-topic, if you and your friends can differentiate 24/192 audio from the others, then it is absolutely impressive. You all have Golden Ears!
(2015-07-01, 14:40)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't have as good an experience with my NP (I have had two), it has not been touched since I got my Shield. I use a Harmony remote so the NPs lack of IR receiver was annoying, even with my work around. The Shileds IR receiver allows for easier integration, and no lag issues. This helps hugely with getting better control over Kodi with button options.
I and many others experienced constant WiFi drop outs with the NP, I was the same as the other cases I read, it was the only device in the house to lose a connection. Having ethernet helps hugely. The NP does have a slower response to all files playing back via Kodi. I think this is a combination of the extra grunt (CPU & RAM) that the Shield has, plus a superior connection with ethernet.
It is very clear that the development of the Shield by both Nvidia and the Kodi team will far surpass what Google/Asus are doing with their hardware, nothing.
The Shields costs a good deal more than the NP, and in my case as they aren't available locally, it costs nearly 3 times as much to buy. But I think it's worth it and would get a Shield over the NP 100 out of 100 times.

ozkhan1 Wrote:See I disagree with that assessment. I have owned a FIRETV which I am assuming is comparable to NP hardware wise. Shield TV blows FIRETV out of the water, yes.. in terms of Kodi experience. It is much faster, smoother, NVIDIA has fixed the auto refresh rate switching and supposedly there are a few more enhancements in the pipeline. My experience is totally different from FTV.

Once again, just my opinion, since I have not actually used a NP, but I feel FTV and NP are probably more comparable.

Besides, if you want something more for Kodi, why would you want to rely on wifi? Thats one area where I have seen no compromise amongst Kodi users. I did not even spare a thought for NP due to lack of ethernet..

I rely on wifi because I don't need to run ethernet. I'm streaming 1080p encodes up two floors from my basement to the top floor of my home without buffering. I do not experience wifi dropouts. Why would I need or want to run ethernet? Also, you're overstating the experience. Yeah, it's snappier and smoother. But not enough to "blow [it] out of the water" and not worth paying 3-4x more for.

I think most of these arguments for the Shield are for the home theater enthusiast geek/nerd contingent which is who the Shield is ideal for with its ethernet, IR blaster, HD audio, frame rate switching, etc. There's no need to recommend it over a Nexus Player to someone who just wants a cheap Kodi device and doesn't care about all the features mentioned above.
(2015-07-01, 22:01)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]

I am disappointed.

Thanks
Ivan

Well, I can tell you from someone who came from WDTV Lives and who has had every version except for the Plus and the newest one (which is just a SMP without Netfilx) that WDTV's have been far from perfect. I even have the short lived Play, which pretty much everyone hated.

When they were launched they didn't do all the things they do now, even the latest Gen 3 models didn't pass-through HD audio and it took 1-2 yrs. before they even got that feature. As well, there is still a mp4 bug that, as the last I heard, wasn't fixed.

So yes, the WDTV's can do a lot of things that the Shield currently can't, but it took a long time for them to get to where they are. So have a little patience, Android "M" which should get a final release around Aug or Sept. (and which Nvidia said they will be updating too) will bring better video and audio support. Also, some issues are just specific to Kodi on Android and have nothing to do with the Shields capabilities.

It takes time to get these things implemented on new devices, those of us who were early adopters of WDTV's had to wait a long time, as well as deal with a lot of bugs, before they worked as they do now.

As for the NP, it's probably a perfectly decent device, but it's really just Google's test bed device. It will most likely never go beyond any standard Android TV features and as far as I know neither Google nor Asus is working with Team Kodi as is Nvidia, which has taken interest in making the SATV a good Kodi device.

quote, must be patient...
All device when just sold have a lot of bug and a lot of missing... ALL .. it's the same story every time
The good way is never buy new device before 3-6 month is released.... you pay less ... most of bug has fixed... after 1 year usually device is usable at 100% ... it's the first law of informatics ;-)
(2015-07-02, 09:22)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-01, 14:40)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't have as good an experience with my NP (I have had two), it has not been touched since I got my Shield. I use a Harmony remote so the NPs lack of IR receiver was annoying, even with my work around. The Shileds IR receiver allows for easier integration, and no lag issues. This helps hugely with getting better control over Kodi with button options.

ozkhan1 Wrote:See I disagree with that assessment. I have owned a FIRETV which I am assuming is comparable to NP hardware wise. Shield TV blows FIRETV out of the water, yes.. in terms of Kodi experience. It is much faster, smoother, NVIDIA has fixed the auto refresh rate switching and supposedly there are a few more enhancements in the pipeline. My experience is totally different from FTV.

I rely on wifi because I don't need to run ethernet. I'm streaming 1080p encodes up two floors from my basement to the top floor of my home without buffering. I do not experience wifi dropouts. Why would I need or want to run ethernet? Also, you're overstating the experience. Yeah, it's snappier and smoother. But not enough to "blow [it] out of the water" and not worth paying 3-4x more for.

I think most of these arguments for the Shield are for the home theater enthusiast geek/nerd contingent which is who the Shield is ideal for with its ethernet, IR blaster, HD audio, frame rate switching, etc. There's no need to recommend it over a Nexus Player to someone who just wants a cheap Kodi device and doesn't care about all the features mentioned above.

You do understand the price difference is actually a hundred bucks, right? Hows it 3,4 times more[/b]
(2015-07-02, 03:06)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]I take it that you have ultrasonic super tweeters to playback the effects of Akira Hypersonic edition. Slightly off-topic, if you and your friends can differentiate 24/192 audio from the others, then it is absolutely impressive. You all have Golden Ears!

I can't differentiate the higher bitrates but can when something has been forcefully resampled (badly), especially to a non-multiple of the native sources sample rate. Sometimes its obvious ticks and the like, sometimes its more subtle. Depends on the resampling method used. If it was running though the SoX resampler its less obvious (to unnoticeable) but right now even redbook 44.1 CD audio is being resample and output as 48 by the Android framework.

Most of my music is 16/44.1, some of my music is in 24/96 vinyl rips or some SACD rips that are 24/88 (some are DSD/DXD format as well).

This is not a new issue with Android. Its been there forever, but I had thought 5.0 L fixed it when it brought official USB DAC support. Turns out internal DACs supported 24/192 but USB DAC output was capped at 24/48. Being that audio is being pushed out to an external DAC via HDMI, it might be Kodi is running into this resampling?

Only two apps that I know of "fixed" this issue. HibyMusic and USB Audio Player Pro. Not sure how Hiby does it, but UAPP had to created a custom USB driver to get it to work. This is in regards to a USB DAC, perhaps HDMI output is the same or it might be a non-issue.
Has anyone tried using a Mele F10 Pro remote/keyboard/air mouse with this? I got my Shield yesterday and plugged the F10 usb dongle into it. For the first few hours the device wouldn't output sound at all EXCEPT DD 5.1 in Netflix or if I plugged earphones into the controller (hadn't set up Kodi yet to test). No sound when going through Onkyo NR609 receiver or from TV speakers when I tested it directly through the TV. When I did set up Kodi and the audio settings, all the sudden all audio worked device-wide. Receiver switched from all-channel stereo(seems like the receiver default when it's not picking up audio source on an input) to multi-channel at that moment. Now it seems to randomly switch back and forth between regular stereo setting and multi-channel.

At that point I was in the middle of trying to think of anything that could possibly affect the audio, so I remembered later than before setting up Kodi I'd unplugged that F10 dongle and was going to see if that did anything or if rebooting it without it plugged in would do anything. I'd set up Kodi before rebooting and forgot about that once audio started working. But then later I went to plug it back in because I needed to use a keyboard and audio disappeared again.

So the F10 Pro kills non-surround audio completely on the device. Why would this happen? Odd that messing with Kodi audio settings got it working anyway initially as well. I don't have another wireless keyboard to test on it to see if that also screws things up. I do need a keyboard and mouse at times when using the Shield and the F10 Pro works well with Kodi as a remote. Used the Android TV app to type and that was all sorts of janky, randomly adding digits to text boxes and trying to auto correct, etc. Right now I'm having to try to switch between I think four controllers/remotes to do all I want to which is comically frustrating. (phone, F10 Pro, Fire TV Stick remote{sucks the menu button for it doesn't work in Kodi on this device like it did on the FTV Stick}, Shield controller.
(2015-07-02, 13:36)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-02, 09:22)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]

You do understand the price difference is actually a hundred bucks, right? Hows it 3,4 times more[/b]

You do understand the price of the NP is $67? The cheapest Shield is $200 without the remote control...that's 3x the price. Add in the remote and you're nearly 4x. Get the 500GB Shield without a remote and that's $300, pushing 5x the price, and exceeding it if you get the remote as well.