Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another weird problem. Every time I resolve something with this box something else really weird happens. Everything seemed normal and started playing a new episode of a show in Kodi. Thought it looked a bit zoomed in so paused it and all the show info/play, pause etc. stuff that shows above and below was almost completely cut off it was zoomed in so far. Adjusted the format settings that you can do when something is playing and it was normal. Exited out and Kodi was WAYYYYY zoomed in. Just to use it I had to figure out how to get into settings then I zoomed out in the appearance section as far as I could and it's still zoomed in too far. But then I closed Kodi and EVERYTHING on the box is zoomed in from the main dashboard to every app. How could this even happen? Any ideas here? I've rebooted it a couple times and that doesn't fix it. It started in Kodi so maybe something happened there.
(2015-07-02, 17:08)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]You do understand the price of the NP is $67? The cheapest Shield is $200 without the remote control...that's 3x the price. Add in the remote and you're nearly 4x. Get the 500GB Shield without a remote and that's $300, pushing 5x the price, and exceeding it if you get the remote as well.

You do understand that $67 isn't the normal retail price and that you're comparing a 6-7 month old device (that's not exactly flying off the shelves) to a newly released device. You do also realized that no, it doesn't come with a remote, but it does come with a $60 game controller, something that you'd have to pay extra for with the NP.

As well, your getting more than twice the hardware with the Shield, 16GB of storage, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 3GB of RAM, ethernet and 802.11 AC, built in IR (so you can use your Harmony remote) etc, etc.. And what's the NP got, 8GB of storage, 1 GB of RAM, a mico-USB 2.0 port and pretty much nothing else. You ever heard the expression, "You get what you pay for"?

As for the 500GB model, well, that's just apples and oranges, even against the 16GB model.
well to each his own. I would not use it for Kodi if I cannot play my bigger mkv rips off wifi.

But I get his point that some people are ok with using Kodi on NP just for web streaming.
(2015-07-02, 21:31)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-02, 17:08)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]You do understand the price of the NP is $67? The cheapest Shield is $200 without the remote control...that's 3x the price. Add in the remote and you're nearly 4x. Get the 500GB Shield without a remote and that's $300, pushing 5x the price, and exceeding it if you get the remote as well.

You do understand that $67 isn't the normal retail price and that you're comparing a 6-7 month old device (that's not exactly flying off the shelves) to a newly released device. You do also realized that no, it doesn't come with a remote, but it does come with a $60 game controller, something that you'd have to pay extra for with the NP.

As well, your getting more than twice the hardware with the Shield, 16GB of storage, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 3GB of RAM, ethernet and 802.11 AC, built in IR (so you can use your Harmony remote) etc, etc.. And what's the NP got, 8GB of storage, 1 GB of RAM, a mico-USB 2.0 port and pretty much nothing else. You ever heard the expression, "You get what you pay for"?

As for the 500GB model, well, that's just apples and oranges, even against the 16GB model.

Yeah, I get that, but this all stemmed from someone asking the difference between Kodi on the NP and Shield Android TV. There's not much difference between Kodi on each device. Yes, obviously the newer Shield has better specs but it doesn't deliver a Kodi experience that's much different from the NP.
(2015-07-03, 03:00)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I get that, but this all stemmed from someone asking the difference between Kodi on the NP and Shield Android TV. There's not much difference between Kodi on each device. Yes, obviously the newer Shield has better specs but it doesn't deliver a Kodi experience that's much different from the NP.

And that's just not true. Even if you forget about the fact that people with very large libraries (you know all those fanarts, thumbs, artist thumbs, cd art, etc. that can take up a lot of space) will get more out of having 16GB vs 8GB and the fact that when Android "M" gets here it will expand to the USB and SD Card ports.

You still have frame rate switching, 4K playback, HEVC hardware decoding which the last I heard the NP can't do and probably never will.

Like I said before, the NP is probably a fine device for those that need it, and are willing to settle for it's limitations. But there are differences between it and the Shield with regards to Kodi, and yes the hardware specs still have a lot to do with those difference because the hardware determines what features can be implemented on a device.
I'm tempted to buy this device for 4k@60Hz... Can someone give me feedback on how Kodi 15 RC1 handles in 4k?
(2015-07-01, 22:01)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-01, 20:50)iMilazzo Wrote: [ -> ]I am new with nVidia Shield Android TV (2 days in fact) but I am already frustrated.
I can't watch movies in 24p, I can't listen more than 48kHz audio files (FLAC, MKV, etc....).

Android had killed my dream (throw away my WDTV Live).
What is the point in create such huge device with such huge specifications if none of this can't me used?

My WDTV Live, old, 2.4Ghz with SMB weak protocol can't stream more than 20Mbits/s over wireless but....I can do everything else, I can set my video to 24p to any content or set to Auto to let WDTV decides. I can listen my Akira Hypersonic Edition (24bits 192kHz) and impress my friends and guests. My WDTV Live is old, slow, it has this little crashes when I need to turn off the power, but....I can do the all "Home Theater Best Practise".

What is the point in create a nVidia Shield Android TV with this MIMO 5Ghz, with a huge processor if I can't use his huge specs?

It's like Hodor (from Game of Thrones), he is big, he is strong, but have no brain, almost useless to real battles, only useful to carry "little things"...

I am disappointed.

and now I have this question: Who is the upgrade for WDTV Live ?

Thanks
Ivan

Well, I can tell you from someone who came from WDTV Lives and who has had every version except for the Plus and the newest one (which is just a SMP without Netfilx) that WDTV's have been far from perfect. I even have the short lived Play, which pretty much everyone hated.

When they were launched they didn't do all the things they do now, even the latest Gen 3 models didn't pass-through HD audio and it took 1-2 yrs. before they even got that feature. As well, there is still a mp4 bug that, as the last I heard, wasn't fixed.

So yes, the WDTV's can do a lot of things that the Shield currently can't, but it took a long time for them to get to where they are. So have a little patience, Android "M" which should get a final release around Aug or Sept. (and which Nvidia said they will be updating too) will bring better video and audio support. Also, some issues are just specific to Kodi on Android and have nothing to do with the Shields capabilities.

It takes time to get these things implemented on new devices, those of us who were early adopters of WDTV's had to wait a long time, as well as deal with a lot of bugs, before they worked as they do now.

As for the NP, it's probably a perfectly decent device, but it's really just Google's test bed device. It will most likely never go beyond any standard Android TV features and as far as I know neither Google nor Asus is working with Team Kodi as is Nvidia, which has taken interest in making the SATV a good Kodi device.

True, it took WD 2 years to reach there.
(2015-07-03, 05:19)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm tempted to buy this device for 4k@60Hz... Can someone give me feedback on how Kodi 15 RC1 handles in 4k?

why not?
http://kodi.tv/kodi-15-0-isengard-rc-1/
4K@60Hz playback on the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV
(2015-07-02, 03:06)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]nVIDIA SATV can play 24/192 FLAC files. Google Music Player and MX Player plays them fine. Kodi, Neutron Player, PowerAmp etc. seem to be limited to 48kHz. Yes, it is a fact that 23.976 playback is faulty at this time. Apparently, nVIDIA is working to fix it. The WDTV that you talk about took many years to fix 23.976 playback.

I take it that you have ultrasonic super tweeters to playback the effects of Akira Hypersonic edition. Slightly off-topic, if you and your friends can differentiate 24/192 audio from the others, then it is absolutely impressive. You all have Golden Ears!

weks05, yes you are right, PLEX is sending 192kHz music to my receiver but everything (music/movies) is sent like PCM.

Thank you...I don't have Gold Ears but I am very proud of what I have, this is my setup, its not Hi-End but is a very good Hi-Fi:

Panasonic 65VT60 THX Plasma (calibrated with CalMAN) @5Ghz
Pioneer BDP-450 (wired)
AppleTV @5Ghz
WDTV Live (wired)
Onkyo TX-NR5010 THX Receiver (wired)
Monitor Audio Gold GX100 (bookshelf loudspeaker with ribbon tweeter, up to 60kHz) in BI-AMP
Monitor Audio Gold GXC150 (central)
Monitor Audio GXFX (surrounds, the best surround IMHO)
Monitor Audio RXW12 (subwoofer)
All frontal cables are Kimble Kable 8TC.

My Network:
COPEL Internet Optical 40/40Mb (very fast internet provider)
ASUS RT-AC68W
My desktop:
ASUS Z87 Sabertooth - i7 4770k - 16Gb Cosair Dominator
ASUS GXT970 4Gb
ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless Adapter
Philips G-Sync Monitor
Razer Chroma Keyboard and Mouse

(2015-07-02, 09:22)wolfbiker Wrote: [ -> ]I think most of these arguments for the Shield are for the home theater enthusiast geek/nerd contingent which is who the Shield is ideal for with its ethernet, IR blaster, HD audio, frame rate switching, etc. There's no need to recommend it over a Nexus Player to someone who just wants a cheap Kodi device and doesn't care about all the features mentioned above.

I care about all of these features, but I dont think NP is better (I even know this product).

I think nVidia SATV is the most (or one of the most) expensive box in the market and the one with more issues.

Can you recommend me more apps (media players) to test?
Thanks all
Ivan
(2015-07-03, 17:23)iMilazzo Wrote: [ -> ]weks05, yes you are right, PLEX is sending 192kHz music to my receiver but everything (music/movies) is sent like PCM.
Thank you...I don't have Gold Ears but I am very proud of what I have, this is my setup, its not Hi-End but is a very good Hi-Fi:
You do have a nice setup Smile

I don't use Plex much, but I have read that it is likely a Plex problem that Direct stream is not working properly on SATV. I am not sure of the exact reasons. Some say it is because SATV is not reporting native support for MKV format, but I have seen this with MP4 also.

For Kodi, you need to enable "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" for 24/50/60Hz playback. At this time, there is no proper 23.976 playback on SATV. It is 23.999 now. You can also use the app TVHZ to set a specific refresh rate (that is supported on SATV and your TV).

HD audio is not bitstreamed from Kodi or SATV now. However, Kodi can decode Dolby TrueHD to 7.1 PCM. For DTS-HD Master Audio, only the core DTS stream is bitstreamed.

You cannot find a better media player than Kodi on Android.

(Edit: I answered some of the questions you had asked on the SHIELD forum).
(2015-06-21, 15:55)TwistedisAGod Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-17, 16:21)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]It's sad that it doesn't come pre-installed? Seriously?

No sry the quote didn't get attached. I was replying to the 10bit anime playing post. As of right now i have to use plex to play my 10bit anime files on my aftv.

.mkv
AVC High [email protected]
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
23.976 fps
x264

from what i read in this fourm these files won't play properly . That is what i thought was sad. I was ready to hit buy now. Big Grin

(2015-06-18, 21:17)oWarchild Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-01, 04:53)Ganesh_AT Wrote: [ -> ]Nope (for now). Hardware support is there, but not on the NVIDIA firmware side.

10-bit support is only there for HEVC at this moment.

Sorry to unearth this but this got me confused. My impression from reading threads here is that H264 Hi10p content is always software decoded. So, is it the case that the SHIELD's CPU doesn't have enough oomph to decode 1080p H264 Hi10p or is something missing (perhaps on the firmware side?) to make this possible?

Now I'm really confused also. Can anyone test and let us know one way or another. I am considering getting a pro version but if it cant handle these files it's kinda a waste.

Can someone with a SATV please try playing a couple of h.264 Hi10P animes and report back? I've placed 2 samples (720p / 1080p) in https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6iy4gxgsfn14o...Ph7Ga?dl=0 if you don't mind trying. Thanks!
(2015-07-03, 19:14)oWarchild Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone with a SATV please try playing a couple of h.264 Hi10P animes and report back? I've placed 2 samples (720p / 1080p) in https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6iy4gxgsfn14o...Ph7Ga?dl=0 if you don't mind trying. Thanks!

They play, but overall badly, very pixelated in sections, not 100% of the time, the entire screen at the start, and then through a few sections here and there, and fine for most of it.
Now I have to figure out why my TV was displaying the 720P as 1080P when I had upscaling on my AVR turned off.
(2015-07-03, 19:14)oWarchild Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone with a SATV please try playing a couple of h.264 Hi10P animes and report back? I've placed 2 samples (720p / 1080p) in https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6iy4gxgsfn14o...Ph7Ga?dl=0 if you don't mind trying. Thanks!

The only one I tested is the 1080p file. It seemed to play fine, but you do have to (like every other device) turn off hardware decoding because there is no hardware support for Hi10P.
Ahhhh, I didn't try that. Same result, hardware decoding off, and it plays fine.
I'll add an explicit exclusion from h/w decoders for Hi10p, as there is not one working as far as I know