Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-03-06, 19:23)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you not want to spend $200 for a box that can be a potential replacement for your streaming box, potentially replace your DVR, Blu ray disc player, and act as a gaming console all at the same time?

A lot of my stance is based on the average user, we aren't the average user. The average user doesn't make BD images so this won't replace a bluray player, this is Android based so it can't DVR, only view Live TV, unless I'm mistaken, and I think it will supplement gaming, but I don't see it replacing hardcore gamers PCs or the PS4/XboxOne, but I guess time will tell. As Topken said above, using it for emulation should be awesome, even the Ouya handled N64 emulators pretty well, so this should have no issues.

(2015-03-06, 19:53)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think most are complaining about $200.00 if it will do all the 2015 expected media streaming features we want. I think most realistic people know you can't get everything for less than $100.00. I know some come on here and want the world for less but their are just being a bit ridiculous..

To us on here wanting it for streaming I think the gaming aspect is probably second and might not even use it. I think most that game now a days are using a PC or have a established console. Android doesn't have the gaming catalog that PC and Consoles have. Even Linux games have been a slow process..

When you guys mention emulation are you still talking about using Android to emulate?

A lot of this discussion stemmed from me stating I hope they put out a $139 version of the console alone (based on the controller being $59, they are valuing the console itself at $139). I already have a Harmony, don't need the controller and would rather use my Harmony than the remote.

If there was a $139 version of the box alone, a $180 version boxed with the remote (based on Tinwarble's view that the remote is prob closer to $39), and a $199 version boxed with the controller, I think the box alone and the version boxed with the remote would sell many more among our crowd.

I agree even at $200 the box alone is worth it if it does everything we think it's going to. I'm going to buy 1 to start, and up to 3 for my house depending on how it works.
(2015-03-06, 20:11)Topken Wrote: [ -> ]The 64bit Tegra K1 can almost run Dolphin full speed on some games.

Sure, some games are less demanding and honestly thanks to ARM enthusiasm the Dolphin code has improved greatly for speed since the last stable build. The issue is more on the Nvidia side- I want to see more from them in their custom cores.

If this thing had a Galaxy S6 Exynos core, or a A8X core, then I bet it could play more than a few games at full speed. I hope that Nvidia takes a leap this generation, but so far Project Denver has been a HUGE letdown. It will slay one benchmark that hits its little optimized use case, and then get killed by another one. I would have preferred just fat cores with the best tech you can copy from Intel's best chips under a microscope. CPUs is not a place for innovation- we kinda know what works and what doesn't. I wish Nvidia would copy Apple and go for what works rather than being cute. Oh well, it is enough for Kodi use with a large library.

The GPU side will be fine as we are looking at GPU that would be equal to the low-end on desktops with all the most current tech. I am glad that Nvidia will finally stand out with the best GPU in mobile, hopefully we see uses for that.
From what I've seen so far this COULD be the "one mediabox to rule them all" I've been waiting for - assuming that it can also deliver. Excited to see whether it will support 24p and frame rate switching. If so, I can accept the higher price point (compared to the alternatives).

Although I'm curious - I'm also in the market for a new TV, and I'm considering a new 2015 Sony TV (as they'll have Android TV). Would such a TV be powerfull enough on its own to make a media player like Nvidia Shield unnecessary?
(2015-03-06, 21:20)magnus_ Wrote: [ -> ]From what I've seen so far this COULD be the "one mediabox to rule them all" I've been waiting for - assuming that it can also deliver. Excited to see whether it will support 24p and frame rate switching. If so, I can accept the higher price point (compared to the alternatives).

Although I'm curious - I'm also in the market for a new TV, and I'm considering a new 2015 Sony TV (as they'll have Android TV). Would such a TV be powerfull enough on its own to make a media player like Nvidia Shield unnecessary?

When you buy one you'll be able to tell us!
From my understanding the X1 is using standard ARM cores rather than Denver.

I don't think we really know enough about it right now to speculate on what it can or can't do and we can't really use past benchmarking on prior SoCs to forecast what the X1 is capable of.

Probably the only thing that we can say for sure is that it will be more than enough for Kodi, and the GPU is a monster for any SoC.
Quote:Would such a TV be powerfull enough on its own to make a media player like Nvidia Shield unnecessary?
I'd prefer to keep box and display separate.
Wonder if Razer Forge will get delayed for a more pumped-up version, or if they release as is, whether they'll lower price to compete with Nvidia.
(2015-03-06, 21:25)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think we really know enough about it right now to speculate on what it can or can't do and we can't really use past benchmarking on prior SoCs to forecast what the X1 is capable of.

Great point. Lets hope for the best! It would really shake up this world if we finally got a "do-it-all" box without the FireTV limitations.
(2015-03-06, 21:57)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder if Razer Forge will get delayed for a more pumped-up version, or if they release as is, whether they'll lower price to compete with Nvidia.

They already set a price point of $99 for the Forge TV
All these device will useless if the can support HD Audio for Kodi..
(2015-03-06, 22:31)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]All these device will useless if the can support HD Audio for Kodi..

^^^ Audiophile in da house.
(2015-03-06, 22:31)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]All these device will useless if the can support HD Audio for Kodi..

Part of the reason many of us are excited for the Shield is because it looks like it might solve many of the issues we've all been wanted in a device that will also make it easy stream Netflix/HBOGo/Hulu, etc. You are right that we don't know if these features will be passed to apps, but I don't see why not.

From the features:
Quote:7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB
High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB
We want it all! We want it all! And, we want it now! Smile
(2015-03-06, 22:42)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]

^^^ Audiophile in da house.

Wait...........are we starting all over again?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1945901

Deja Vu. Wink