Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-07-29, 18:08)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]DTS-HD is 7.1, so not sure of your point.

Even so, it personally took me a while before getting a 5.1, and then again for dev purposes.
Now that I have one, I'd probably have a hard time to get back to 2.1, but it suited me at the time.

Well I was using 5.1 as a point in my "minimum" discussion, but yeah, DTS Master Audio can be 5.1. Its not 7 channel on every disc. It is the lossless compression of the audio, not the number of channels, that makes the audio track Dts Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD.
(2015-07-29, 22:14)hifiaudio2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-29, 18:08)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]DTS-HD is 7.1, so not sure of your point.

Even so, it personally took me a while before getting a 5.1, and then again for dev purposes.
Now that I have one, I'd probably have a hard time to get back to 2.1, but it suited me at the time.

Well I was using 5.1 as a point in my "minimum" discussion, but yeah, DTS Master Audio can be 5.1. Its not 7 channel on every disc.

Yep - there are DTS-HD MA 2.0 releases out there, particularly for classic movies. It's more efficient than PCM 2.0 and higher quality than DD/DTS 2.0 lossy.
(2015-07-29, 07:50)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, SATV including audio decoders or not is a moot point, as Kodi don't use them.

OTOH, I've seen people working on implementing DTS-HD (full) decoding into Kodi itself. That + 7.1 lpcm would workaround the issue of not having HD audio passthrough.

Fair enough. Frankly, even though my AVR is capable of 7.1 I only use it in a 5.1 setup since the shape of my room makes it impractical for 7.1.

(2015-07-29, 20:07)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]This is why i am holding out on this one,until i hear something positive about it in this forum,then i will rush to the store and buy one.
I already have the XboxOne for gaming don't another device to play Mobile games.

There's plenty of positives, but it's probably easier for people to find and talk about the limitations rather then what it does really well.
(2015-07-29, 22:19)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-29, 07:50)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, SATV including audio decoders or not is a moot point, as Kodi don't use them.

OTOH, I've seen people working on implementing DTS-HD (full) decoding into Kodi itself. That + 7.1 lpcm would workaround the issue of not having HD audio passthrough.

Fair enough. Frankly, even though my AVR is capable of 7.1 I only use it in a 5.1 setup since the shape of my room makes it impractical for 7.1.

(2015-07-29, 20:07)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]This is why i am holding out on this one,until i hear something positive about it in this forum,then i will rush to the store and buy one.
I already have the XboxOne for gaming don't another device to play Mobile games.

There's plenty of positives, but it's probably easier for people to find and talk about the limitations rather then what it does really well.

For Kodi Forum members.
What are the negative and positive about this device?
See post # 930 in this thread.
And post #876 for a comprehensive list of limitations.

Regarding the positives, it's important to say that the SATV is one of the few devices (perhaps the only one) out there that can do all of the below:
  • Software decode H264 Hi10P anime (requires raw CPU power which most ARM SoCs don't have);
  • Hardware decode 4K H264, HEVC Main10 profile (10-bit) and VP9;
  • HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2;
  • HDMI-CEC.

If NVIDIA can iron out a few quirks, 23.976fps and HD Audio bitstreaming, SATV can quickly become the best Kodi box at its price point, in my opinion.
(2015-07-29, 23:47)oWarchild Wrote: [ -> ]And post #876 for a comprehensive list of limitations.

Regarding the positives, it's important to say that the SATV is one of the few devices (perhaps the only one) out there that can do all of the below:
  • Software decode H264 Hi10P anime (requires raw CPU power which most ARM SoCs don't have);
  • Hardware decode 4K H264, HEVC Main10 profile (10-bit) and VP9;
  • HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2;
  • HDMI-CEC.

If NVIDIA can iron out a few quirks, 23.976fps and HD Audio bitstreaming, SATV can quickly become the best Kodi box at its price point, in my opinion.

Yep - HDMI 2.0 and HEVC 4K Main 10 are stand-outs.
Has anyone had any success with using a multi-bay hard drive enclosure, with multiple hard drives with the SHIELD console?
(2015-07-27, 13:52)sandogo1 Wrote: [ -> ]siuside,
What device is the custom rom for and also did you find it?

[ROM][Full Android for Shield TV][v.1.8]

Another good forum is the official one GeForce SHIELD Android TV official forums

The HD Audio bitstream part is important to me but not a deal breaker. I have learnt over the last 15 years that chasing formats/codecs/specifications is a complete waste of time. Get the hardware that does most of it well, and you will enjoy it like no other.

I am probably still going to go with android-x86_64 on my HTPC (it is multi boot) when the releases are stable and mature down the road. For now Shield Android TV it is.
I do like the HDMI-CEC feature, it works really nicely if you happen to have an AVR.
Just press the nVidia logo on the controller and it turns on the TV, AVR, and ShieldTV. Then when you are finished watching, just press power off on the TV remote and everything in the HDMI chain also turns off.
(2015-06-21, 01:20)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-06-21, 01:05)mdfwrestler Wrote: [ -> ]I have noticed however that gefen have an active HDMI (2.0) 1:2 device for around £180.

None of these splitters/extenders seem to support 4K 60Hz 4:4:4. There is no option on the SHIELD to select a specific resolution. It is auto-detect. There is also no word whether the SHIELD supports 4K 60Hz 4:2:0. nVIDIA release notes for 1.1 update states that 8-bit 4:2:0 4K 60 support has been added.

There is a thread going on about splitter for shield on the Nvidia forum.
It seems hdfury have one device coming out next month that will support 4K60 444 (600MHz bandwidth) and either split/matrix or convert to 4K60 420 (300MHz)

Should be cheaper than the Gefen solution mentioned .
(2015-07-31, 04:19)oruseye Wrote: [ -> ]There is a thread going on about splitter for shield on the Nvidia forum.
It seems hdfury have one device coming out next month that will support 4K60 444 (600MHz bandwidth) and either split/matrix or convert to 4K60 420 (300MHz)
You do realize that I am the one posting in that thread also Smile
==========UPDATE===========

I got my shield tv in the mail yesterday from amazon a day early I might add ... So far I would have to say its doing its thing I love the setup on it ... kodi right from play store loads apps fast snappy movement of the icons is crisp this is gonna be a tough call on using this shield tv over my neo x8 h plus i'm gonna try a new launcher on the x8 it just seems like thats whats holding it back a little its not like its bad and buggy its just I like the ftv/shield tv way of doing things on the main screen / launcher
(2015-07-31, 05:00)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-31, 04:19)oruseye Wrote: [ -> ]There is a thread going on about splitter for shield on the Nvidia forum.
You do realize that I am the one posting in that thread also Smile

Argh Sorry, now yes i do realize it ! i though i was adding something here Wink ...
(2015-07-31, 14:12)sandogo1 Wrote: [ -> ]==========UPDATE===========

I got my shield tv in the mail yesterday from amazon a day early I might add ... So far I would have to say its doing its thing I love the setup on it ... kodi right from play store loads apps fast snappy movement of the icons is crisp this is gonna be a tough call on using this shield tv over my neo x8 h plus i'm gonna try a new launcher on the x8 it just seems like thats whats holding it back a little its not like its bad and buggy its just I like the ftv/shield tv way of doing things on the main screen / launcher

thanks for this update sandogo1.....its the type of reporting many of us are looking for. I'm surmising most of the poor reviews of this device are coming from a smallish niche of AV-philes that unless the device plays exactly the way they WANT on their particular Denon-Bang&Olfson-Definitive Technology- set up...its no good. Ive read little review from these folks saying great / terrible based on the device itself rather than its doesnt hit this spec or that spec on my -this is the one and only end be all system- and for that reason the device is no good. Again, thanks.