Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most of us in this forum are looking for the perfect box that does everything.

I have Chromebox for 2D movies and VidOn box for 3D movies.

If there is a box that can combine these 2 device together,then we have a winner.

A Device with:

64 GB storage at lease
HD Audio Support
3D frame packed support
BD menu support ( maybe not)

ALL this with Kodi...
(2015-03-06, 22:31)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]All these device will useless if the can support HD Audio for Kodi..

Except for the thousands and thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people who don't require HD audio or even have compatible equipment. I have 4 TVs in my house, and only on one would it make sense to have external speakers.
(2015-03-06, 23:05)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-06, 22:31)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]All these device will useless if the can support HD Audio for Kodi..

Except for the thousands and thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people who don't require HD audio or even have compatible equipment. I have 4 TVs in my house, and only on one would it make sense to have external speakers.

Then you don't need to spend $200 for this device.

Just get Amazon Fire Stick...
On your list above, you're likely not going to get BD menus (thanks to Cinavia), but I should have a HiMedia Q5 4K next week, which might just do 3D ISO's, hd audio & 23.976 properly. If so, I can get rid of Chromebox and VidOn. But, for web and premium content streaming, or gaming, you'll still need Fire TV, Razer or a Shield like device separately. Unless, the chip inside Shield can support frame-packed 3D and someone creates a player to play them that Kodi can leverage as the external player. I'm guessing not.
(2015-03-06, 23:21)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have a big long list of reasons to get the Shield Console, and HD Audio isn't on that list for me either. I'm genuinely surprised its on anybody's list.

Well, surprised isn't the word. Bemused maybe.

edit: perturbed?

You do if you want the rest of what it's offering.

What if you still want 4K/60fps, or you want to play those AAA games and run Kodi on the same device.

Fortunately, we are not robots and our needs are not all the same. Just because one person can't justify the cost because of a feature it may not have, does not mean someone else won't be able to because of a feature it does.
(2015-03-06, 23:27)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]On your list above, you're likely not going to get BD menus (thanks to Cinavia), but I should have a HiMedia Q5 4K next week, which might just do 3D ISO's, hd audio & 23.976 properly. If so, I can get rid of Chromebox and VidOn. But, for web and premium content streaming, or gaming, you'll still need Fire TV, Razer or a Shield like device separately. Unless, the chip inside Shield can support frame-packed 3D and someone creates a player to play them that Kodi can leverage as the external player. I'm guessing not.

Can't wait for your review on the HiMedia Q5 4K,i think the internal storage of the HiMedia is limited 8Gb. That can cause problem with heavy SKin...

My chromebox run out of storage (Heavy Skin usage) and wouldn't boot,so i upgrade my to chromebox to 64Gb.
(2015-03-06, 23:30)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]I have a big long list of reasons to get the Shield Console, and HD Audio isn't on that list for me either. I'm genuinely surprised its on anybody's list.

Why would you be perturbed it is on someone's list? Some people have nice sound systems.

Heck if you go back a few years ago when Kodi didn't support HD audio I used to claim no one needed it because you couldn't tell a difference between the DTS core track and a DTS HD track. And boy was I wrong, with Dolby stuff the gap between regular AC3 and Dolby True HD is huge.
I think nate meant Chagrin. Big Grin

EDIT: or may desiderated.
(2015-03-06, 23:30)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-06, 23:05)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Except for the thousands and thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people who don't require HD audio or even have compatible equipment. I have 4 TVs in my house, and only on one would it make sense to have external speakers.

I have a big long list of reasons to get the Shield Console, and HD Audio isn't on that list for me either. I'm genuinely surprised its on anybody's list.

We are in 2015, If HD Audio is not part of your list, then i don't know what is part of your list...
The Shield has already shown up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield/dp/B...dia+shield

No pre-orders yet.
Have to agree with movie78 on this... if we're after the best PQ, whether 1080p or now going to 4K, why wouldn't we want the best audio?
(2015-03-06, 23:21)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Then you don't need to spend $200 for this device.

Don't assume that just because someone doesn't use "HD" audio doesn't mean they don't want a nice media/game system that has performance in other areas.

And I call bullshit EDIT: I doubt that the average person using "HD audio" is actually getting better audio quality. The quality difference between other high quality audio formats and the two HD audio formats is not very big, and most consumers will not be able to tell a difference in their setup.

(EDIT: err, I got a little worked up. Sorry)
(2015-03-07, 00:23)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Have to agree with movie78 on this... if we're after the best PQ, whether 1080p or now going to 4K, why wouldn't we want the best audio?

That actually illustrates a good point, that most users are not buying devices for 4k, despite several 4k devices having existed for over a year now.

Did all your 1080 movies suddenly become less enjoyable because 4K exists? Does everyone in the world have enough physical space in front of their TV, for the right size of TV, for it to significantly make movies look better?

I think it's fair to say that most people on this forum don't care about 4k abilities in a device such as this for the same reason they don't care about over-hyped HD audio.
(2015-03-06, 23:56)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]Heck if you go back a few years ago when Kodi didn't support HD audio I used to claim no one needed it because you couldn't tell a difference between the DTS core track and a DTS HD track. And boy was I wrong, with Dolby stuff the gap between regular AC3 and Dolby True HD is huge.

There's a big difference between the potential for better quality and what actually ends up happening for most people. Their equipment matters, the type of entertainment matters (Family Guy is not funnier in HD audio, no matter what people might claim), the range of hearing for the people watching TV matters, and a ton of people have existing libraries with thousands of files that don't even contain HD audio tracks.

I don't doubt the ability of the format having more quality. I doubt that most people will care.