Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Please help a newbie on kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Guys

first thanks for the attention to this threat I am a newbie on Kodi sytem I have a lot of questions, which I have been resolving thanks to your posts; this are my questions:

1) I have a kindle fire and I want to try it first kodi on the tablet, once I have all the knowledge about this sytem I will get a box(I was thinking on a m8n box) so I can finally get rid of my cable
so far I do know that I have to go to the kodi's webpage and download the most recent version; but that's it? is just download the file and it is self explanatory?? I don't want to messed up the kindle, that's why I haven't done it yet; can anyone tell me as detailed as possible what are the steps after I download the file?? would I encounter any issues? I need to download something else? any fixes?

2) what is the best box that I can get to use with kodi system? I was thinkin in getting 1 for just 1 tv;

please explain with not so many technical terms since I am newbie and don't know much about software or hardwares

Thanks in advance for your answers
Just to let you know, Kodi does not provide any TV shows or movies. You, the user, must add your own video files or find some online source of content. Kodi is just a video player for the livingroom.
Thank you Ned Scott; yes, I read something about it; I need to do that myself once I have the platform; thanks again for the remainder
I run Kodi on my Minix X8-H plus. It's nice and fast and I haven't had any problems so far.
I personally have only ran 1080p though it though so I can't elaborate on the 4k capabilities but those that do have a 4k tv says it plays that smoothly as well.
(2015-03-06, 19:25)Kajukenbo Wrote: [ -> ]I run Kodi on my Minix X8-H plus. It's nice and fast and I haven't had any problems so far.
I personally have only ran 1080p though it though so I can't elaborate on the 4k capabilities but those that do have a 4k tv says it plays that smoothly as well.

thank you for your response; thing is that my budget is of $90 tops

and also, I am going to be able to watch live us tv? I mean my local channels?
Hi Erick. I'm also pretty much a newbie to Kodi, but I'll tell you my experience with it so far.
I have an Amazon FireTV Stick for my streaming device. I bought it solely to use for my subscription to Amazon Prime. I bought it last November. Along with Amazon Prime, I'm now also using it for Netflix, several other apps, and Kodi.
I have over 500 movies stored on my PC, along with a lot of TV shows. I use Kodi for watching those movies and TV episides on my TV. I don't know diddly beans about how to use Kodi at it's best compared to most of the members here, but I can tell you that Kodi is running great for me, even with my very limited knowledge about how to set it up properly, and make use of all of it's features.
I have the FireTV stick connected to my A/V receiver. Running Kodi on the stick, connected to my receiver, gives me excellent picture and sound quality.
Kodi will install on my tablet, but won't run because the tablet is not a Neon device, so I can't recommend the best hardware for it. In order to install it on the Fire stick, I have to install it on my tablet, and then sideload it on the stick. I then uninstall it from the tablet. Given that Kodi runs so well on my FireTV stick, I'm sure it would run great on a box with better hardware specs (but the FireTV stick is no slouch on those specs).
As for add-ons, I'm just beginning to explore them. So far I only have one installed, for e-mail. Not that I necessarily want to check my e-mails using Kodi, but just to see if it would work. I installed it, launched it, and sure enough there were my e-mails. Very cool. I still have a lot to learn about add-ons. Learning about all of the features of Kodi, and trying them out, is half the fun
As to trying it out on your Kindle tablet, go ahead and install it, and try it out. It won't harm your tablet. By all means read this great forum, and read the Wiki.
I'm an old geezer of 65. If I can run Kodi, and do pretty well with it, I'm sure you can too. I'll probably be learning from you soon.
I know I didn't give you much info, but hopefully helped you out a little bit.
Anyway, good luck, and have fun!