Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: vaapi problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just wondering. The vaapi works fine if i play a mkv file ripped from a blu ray. However, play any other mkv file (using x264) and the frame rate stutters and is unwatchable unless i switch to software mode. i am using xubuntu 14.04.02 and have an old iron lake (1st gen i3 core processor). I have the latest drivers from xorg and can't understand why the lower bitrate x264 cause a problem. This is particularly problematic with the 3d sbs mkv's I produce with dvdfab as i prefer to make my own from 3d blu ray to get the best possible rips. Is this a bug with kodi? which log files does anybody need to see. seems wierd.
It's a bug with dvdfab ... but nobody can tell you without proper Debug Log.
Ok, here goes. The first video played is an mkv file with untouched video and audio from blu ray (plays flawlessly with vaapi), the second video is a blu ray file untouched (again plays flawlessly with vaapi). However, the third file to show you my problem is a 1080p web download (frame rate jumps and is unwatchable with vaapi enabled). I don't understand as all files use x264. All files which are not full blu ray refuse to use the vaapi. Surely it can't be me. They all work fine with windows but linux kodi makes a difference between them.

The log requested is http://xbmclogs.com/pmz8ekfsj

Please help as I don't wish to revert to windows. Surely this can be rectified.

ps if this helps :-

craigles@craigles-K52F:~$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.37.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_37
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.37 (libva 1.5.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel® Ironlake Mobile - 1.5.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
craigles@craigles-K52F:~$

pps:- vlc plays all videos fine with vaapi so the problem must be with my set up of kodi.
Quote:00:34:09 T:139705999148800 DEBUG: OutputPicture - change configuration. 1916x1076. framerate: 23.98. format: VAAPI

Ouh man - those people have no clue of what they are doing :-(

This release group:
Quote: WEB-DL.DD5
currently has issues with the rips they are doing - not much we can do about.
Quote:00:34:09 T:139706025113344 DEBUG: CVideoSyncDRM::Setup - setting up DRM
00:34:09 T:139707348903680 NOTICE: Creating audio thread
00:34:09 T:139706025113344 ERROR: CVideoSyncDRM::Setup - drmWaitVBlank returned error
00:34:09 T:139705990756096 NOTICE: Thread DVDPlayerAudio start, auto delete: false
00:34:09 T:139705990756096 NOTICE: running thread: CDVDPlayerAudio:Tonguerocess()
00:34:09 T:139706025113344 DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Detected refreshrate: 60.000 hertz
00:34:09 T:139706025113344 DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Setup failed, falling back to CurrentHostCounter()

Is that Ubuntu's Unity? I additionally see unreleased experimental Mesa drivers (10.6 devel) and - you are running pretty everything from here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons
Thanks for your reply, however, I am not looking for information regarding any addons as is stipulated by your rules.. I am running xubuntu and have the latest drivers installed from xorg/edgers which is where the latest mesa drivers have come from. Is this a problem. Also, does that mean that vaapi will not work unless the video is encoded at full 1080p resolution and not cropped as happens when encoding in dvdfab as this can be overridden?
Both: No

you have a problem I cannot reproduce, running 4 different VAAPI systems (BYT, IVB, 2 hsw).
i'm sorry but i don't understand your answer. Am i running 4 different vaapi systems or you, and if you can't help could you point me in the direction of someone or something that could?
I am running 4 different VAAPI systems, all of different generations (HSW, IVB, BYT, etc.) and I cannot reproduce this issue. Therefore I have asked for a sample. Please use ffmpeg to cut out a 50 MB part that shows the issue and upload it somewhere.

Howto cut: http://superuser.com/questions/377343/cu...ith-ffmpeg
Thanks mate, i'm heading out now and get you a sample tomorrow. It's all video except blu rays. I'll encode something tonight and post a link. Can i use a dropbox link in the forum?
Dropbox is fine.
Sorry I diddn't get back. To be honest i think i'm just going to set up windows again. It's a shame as I liked linux it's just that all the files that kodi can't play on linux play perfectly on the windows end. I reverted back to official drivers from intel which reset mesa to 10.3.0 and can still play x264 riipped direct from a blu ray but any other encode of x264 won't hit the correct refresh rate. There is no extra load on the cpu with all 4 cores below 10%, the playback is just choppy in linux and smooth in windows. It's wierd though that the vaapi works on the higher bitrate files.
Yeah - if installing windows is easier than providing me a sample -> then installing windows is your way to go.
it's not the sample, i'll send you a sample. it's obviously my knowledge of linux. With a fresh install of xubuntu and an install of the latest linux graphics installer, kernel updated to generic 3.19.1, there must be more to it as it is any x264 encoded video that is not ripped direct from a blu ray that stutters. Kodi doesn't register dropped frames but the video is choppy. But i will get you a couple of samples. I just think it's my set up.
From what you describe, you seem to play 23.976 fps at 60hz - that will make evil stutter from now and then cause of the 3:2 pull - but not sure if you mean that.

Can you try OpenELEC? from a USB stick perhaps? Download the img.gz then gunzip it, and dd it to an usb stick.

Enable: Adjust Refreshrate to match video On Start / Stop

and see what you get.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5