Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AFTV Stick crash to menu after 20-30 minutes of playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been running into this since I purchased the AFTV Stick. It seems to play lower resolution TV files running at 480p without much issue. 1080p movies in any format seem to drop out back to the menu after 20-30 minutes of playback. I don't believe it has ever gone farther than that. I can select the file and choose to resume and it will play for another 20-30 minutes before it drops back to the menu again.

I own a Chromebox running OpenELEC and Kodi and it doesn't exhibit any of this behavior. It runs any file I throw at it smoothly. Below is a link to the kodi.log that I pulled from the AFTV Stick. I see some errors but would like some help in interpreting them and troubleshooting this problem. I've found several posts on the forums noting this same behavior but no fixes. I do not believe this to be a networking issue. I have a wireless mesh network setup in my home with Cisco 1142 APs and a Cisco 4402 controller, 802.11n to my devices - throughput seems to be very good. Other streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, other 1080p content over the network seems to work fine. It's just 1080p content that runs over the AFTV Stick and Kodi that seems to have the issue.

Thanks for looking...

http://goo.gl/jxG4PH
I would remove this from your advancedsettings.xml file:

<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>

There is not enough memory on a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick for that setting.
I used the XUnityMaintenance tool to try a few of their advancedsettings.xml files and none of them seem to make any difference. Is there another way to (manually) edit that file on an AFTV Stick? Suggested settings?
Use the file manager (wiki) to delete it completely and don't use that tool. It breaks more things than it fixes. People shouldn't be using an advancedsettings.xml without good reason. It's an advanced method of tweaking things for rare situations, and not a common tweaking tool.
I deleted the advanced settings xml and will test and report back.
It continues to crash back to the menu after 30 minutes or less of playback. I ran "Catch Me If You Can", 1080p, .mp4 file this morning just to test it out without the advancedsettings.xml and at almost exactly 30 minutes it dropped back to the menu. At this point I'm running the latest version of Kodi, Helix 14.2 - the same behavior was exhibited on the two previous 14.0 versions I used as well.

The files are shared across the network via SMB. I have an external hard drive connected to a Windows 7 Pro machine. Running the same video locally on the Windows 7 machine in Media Player Classic shows none of the issues. I can also play the same file using a Chromebox loaded with OpenELEC and the latest Kodi without problems. Both are connected to the same wireless network. The issue is isolated to the AFTV Stick only.

Log -

http://goo.gl/WyUT5g
I have the same exact issue and it happens with SMB or NFS.

08:42:59 T:1681497856 ERROR: virtual ssize_t XFILE::CSMBFile::Read(void*, size_t) - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying

That is the error that is causing your issue. It seems for some reason Kodi/android/firetv is unable to access the smb share and it stops caching the file. If you have the extra stat info up, you can see the cache shrink down to 0MB and then it will take you back to the file selection.

I found on another post that shows a registry tweak you could use on the machine that is hosting the drive. I have tried this and it has helped significantly but the issue persists albeit less frequently.

I dont know if this is an aftv issue or just kodi related.
Weird. I wonder is this is related to the general SMB/samba issues that Android has right now since it is using an older SAMBA client.
(2015-03-15, 00:38)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Weird. I wonder is this is related to the general SMB/samba issues that Android has right now since it is using an older SAMBA client.

I know there is also an issue saving .srt subtitles next to the smb share as well. So this is definitely an android issue? I wonder if the issue still happens if android thinks the drive is local.

I'm going to try to mount the SMB share locally using CifsManager and report back and see what happens.
(2015-03-14, 20:39)dresden7 Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same exact issue and it happens with SMB or NFS.

08:42:59 T:1681497856 ERROR: virtual ssize_t XFILE::CSMBFile::Read(void*, size_t) - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying

That is the error that is causing your issue. It seems for some reason Kodi/android/firetv is unable to access the smb share and it stops caching the file. If you have the extra stat info up, you can see the cache shrink down to 0MB and then it will take you back to the file selection.

I found on another post that shows a registry tweak you could use on the machine that is hosting the drive. I have tried this and it has helped significantly but the issue persists albeit less frequently.

I dont know if this is an aftv issue or just kodi related.

I've been running that registry tweak for awhile now and it hasn't made any difference with the AFTV Stick and crashing back to the menu. The Chromebox with OpenELEC and Kodi 14.2 is humming right along just as it always has.
Just wanted to report back that using NFS instead of SMB has fixed my problem. CIFSManager/MountManager is not even required as you can add NFS as a source inside kodi.

There must be an issue with smb with android. On a personal note, the only issue I have with this solution is that it now it forces plexbmc to use http streaming instead of smb which sucks.. might have to just nix plex altogether and use mysql or upnp I guess.
Problem for me is that I'm sharing files via a Windows 7 box with external hard drives connected to it. I'm not aware of being able to do NFS to that kind of setup.

EDIT: Yep, not possible with Win7 Pro (natively) - it's possible with Enterprise/Ultimate but I'm not going to go through that amount of trouble.
I have the same exact setup. Win 7 with external usb 3.0 drives. I'm using a program called hanWin NFS. It's freeware and only took a few minutes to setup. I don't feel this issue is going to get resolved soon as no devs have even responded to it so I think NFS is a good solution.

Edit: http://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm to install
http://forum.osmc.tv/showthread.php?tid=6285 guide to setup the server.
I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes!
I have the same issue. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.
Pages: 1 2