Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video streaming over internet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using a RPi2 with kodi and I'd like to stream my videos through internet (i have 50 mbps upstream) so I can watch them when I'm at my girlfriend's or at work. I don't need to transcode the video, I just want to stream the file as it is.

Is there a way to do this from kodi?

Thanks.
you could try the plex addon
That's a client, I need a server.
WebDAV? It's been a while since I've used it myself, but it worked pretty good back then.
And I'm using FTP/FTPS to do this. You need to make your files available from an ftp server at home. So in short, serving the files is not possible from kodi. But using kodi as a client to watch those files is possible.
(2015-03-15, 21:17)Steve_uk Wrote: [ -> ]you could try the plex addon

(2015-03-15, 23:19)Fraludio Wrote: [ -> ]That's a client, I need a server.

So why not install Plex Server at home?
you could VPN to your home and use your mobile or something with kodi. There you can reference to you NAS / other Kodi Sources.
(2015-03-15, 23:19)Fraludio Wrote: [ -> ]That's a client, I need a server.
Ha ha I've never used the plex addon I just presumed it was a server.. Why would you need a client when you can use Kodi
I remember using the web login years ago but not sure it works like its been said.
(2015-03-16, 09:30)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]So why not install Plex Server at home?
I don't want to have a pc turned on all the time. I got the pi to have a low powered solution to my needs, and as I don't need transcoding keeping a power hungry pc only to stream files is not what i want, or need.

What i need is to dlna over the internet, just that. No transcoding, no nothing, I only want to be able to access my collection over the internet.

I'll try the vpn thing.
And something like this : http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberr...-MiniDLNA/ + openVPN

If you are under raspbian+kodi it should work with raspbian but with openelec i don't know if would could install?
I'd also say use a VPN