Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The dn2820 nuc, while not the same chip, cannot do 3d well enough (really splutters). If you want this from windows I would suggest the i3 version (they do not appear to use hardware acceleration from what I can see, even though the chip apparently supports it). Works fine on i3 nuc. I find it too inconsistent (sometime wont play in 3d) and annoying to control with a remote though - raspberry pi 2 is much better and what I use now.
well I tried to play a 3D iso last night with powerdvd on the HP Stream Mini with the Celeron 2957U and it did not work.

I looked in the settings in powerdvd and it said something to the effect of not finding appropriate hardware for 3D.

Oh well, I am tempted to convert all my 3D files to HSBS which can play on anything.

I tested a few files and honestly its very hard to tell any kind of difference between that and frame packing.

Has anyone else really tested to see if they can tell any difference ?
(2015-12-08, 15:25)dchabby Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone else really tested to see if they can tell any difference ?
Personally, no. Appears identical to my eyes - Both full SBS/OU - with Kodi on Win8.1 using DN2820FYKH.
dchabby, sorry to hear 3D ISO's didn't work with your HP Stream Mini. Guess you may be right i3 or better CPU is needed.

As for converting to HSBS, don't do it. There is a difference between half-res and full quality 3D, unless you have a display smaller than 50". Why not consider a Raspberry Pi 2 (less than $70 for complete kits) or HiMedia Q5 (around $127)?

Also, expecting to get my review sample of Venz V8 TLBB OpenELEC box later today, which may be a good 3rd option.
(2015-12-08, 15:25)dchabby Wrote: [ -> ]well I tried to play a 3D iso last night with powerdvd on the HP Stream Mini with the Celeron 2957U and it did not work.

I looked in the settings in powerdvd and it said something to the effect of not finding appropriate hardware for 3D.

Oh well, I am tempted to convert all my 3D files to HSBS which can play on anything.

I tested a few files and honestly its very hard to tell any kind of difference between that and frame packing.

Not sure how you tested and concluded there is no difference between HSBS and frame packing when everything you wrote says you couldn't get it to work?
The difference is night and day especially on larger panels.

There is a readiness tool somewhere that will analyze your hardware for 3D MVC I've read about.
I think it is on the PDVD site?

It's very easy to set up 3D players to render a 3D MVC in the incorrect 3D mode.
I've seen many complaints by users because of faulty software adjustments trying to tackle inferior hardware.
The most common mistake in PDVD are panels switching into the 2D>3D conversion mode even though the material is 3D MVC to begin with and although somewhat useful, it looks pretty lame.
The PDVD 3D icon tells the truth.
double post? delete.
@ brazen1, I added a link to your guide in post #1, under 'Want 3D Under Windows?'
(2015-12-08, 17:10)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]dchabby, sorry to hear 3D ISO's didn't work with your HP Stream Mini. Guess you may be right i3 or better CPU is needed.

As for converting to HSBS, don't do it. There is a difference between half-res and full quality 3D, unless you have a display smaller than 50". Why not consider a Raspberry Pi 2 (less than $70 for complete kits) or HiMedia Q5 (around $127)?

Also, expecting to get my review sample of Venz V8 TLBB OpenELEC box later today, which may be a good 3rd option.

thanks hdmkv - I appreciate all the work you put into this site

I do have a Pi 2 which I was using as my main player in the living room until we signed up with Netflix. Now I was hoping to get one box for kodi and Netflix and that could handle full 3D but I guess my search continues.

What I may end up doing is have 3d files that are HSBS for my living room 55" TV and then the full 3D mvc files to use on the Pi 2 in my theatre area downstairs on my 125" screen, just going to use up more storage space though but that is relatively cheap.

(2015-12-08, 18:09)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-08, 15:25)dchabby Wrote: [ -> ]well I tried to play a 3D iso last night with powerdvd on the HP Stream Mini with the Celeron 2957U and it did not work.

Not sure how you tested and concluded there is no difference between HSBS and frame packing when everything you wrote says you couldn't get it to work?
The difference is night and day especially on larger panels.

There is a readiness tool somewhere that will analyze your hardware for 3D MVC I've read about.
I think it is on the PDVD site?

It's very easy to set up 3D players to render a 3D MVC in the incorrect 3D mode.
I've seen many complaints by users because of faulty software adjustments trying to tackle inferior hardware.
The most common mistake in PDVD are panels switching into the 2D>3D conversion mode even though the material is 3D MVC to begin with and although somewhat useful, it looks pretty lame.
The PDVD 3D icon tells the truth.

as I mentioned above, I do have a Pi 2 that I used to test both HSBS and 3D mvc files on, on both my 55" TV and my 125" projector screen.

Watching the same movie in both formats, it was hard for me to tell a difference. Maybe my eyesight is not as good as others but I will be doing a little more comparisons.

I think a lot of it may be just mental, I just feel like I am missing out on something by watching HSBS.
(2015-12-08, 18:44)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]@ brazen1, I added a link to your guide in post #1, under 'Want 3D Under Windows?'

Thanks for linking. I hope it helps users.
Coupled with this excellent hardware test bed forum, users should gain enough insight to digest platforms, hardware, software, pricing, compatibility, ease of use, data types, reliability, comparisons, capabilities, troubleshooting, diy, etc, to help make objective decisions.
(2015-12-08, 18:50)dchabby Wrote: [ -> ]as I mentioned above, I do have a Pi 2 that I used to test both HSBS and 3D mvc files on, on both my 55" TV and my 125" projector screen.

Watching the same movie in both formats, it was hard for me to tell a difference. Maybe my eyesight is not as good as others but I will be doing a little more comparisons.

in video/acceleration setting make sure "USe Full HD HDMI modes for 3D" is enabled.
If you ssh in and run "tvservice -s" it will report if we are outputting HSBS or FP. Might be worth double checking that.
Quote:I do have a Pi 2 which I was using as my main player in the living room until we signed up with Netflix. Now I was hoping to get one box for kodi and Netflix and that could handle full 3D but I guess my search continues.
Need 2 boxes I'm afraid, one for premium apps like Netflix (I'm relying on nVidia Shield TV & my new Vizio 4K TV's built-in Netflix/Amazon apps), and second box for 3D/HD audio/proper framerates. If you didn't need 3D, choice is easy: nVidia Shield TV.

So, I also got the Venz V8 TLBB OpenELEC box today, and... sadly, no HD audio and no 3D as promised. In contact with Venz to find out what's up. I have a box just out of factory production in China, so they may not have pushed latest update(s) necessary. At least, I hope so as this would be another bust. They're using a heavily customized version of OpenELEC & Kodi, maybe less so from a/v functionality end, but definitely from look/feel & settings end.
(2015-12-09, 01:37)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]So, I also got the Venz V8 TLBB OpenELEC box today, and... sadly, no HD audio and no 3D as promised. In contact with Venz to find out what's up. I have a box just out of factory production in China, so they may not have pushed latest update(s) necessary. At least, I hope so as this would be another bust. They're using a heavily customized version of OpenELEC & Kodi, maybe less so from a/v functionality end, but definitely from look/feel & settings end.
That confirms what I saw on their supposed GitHub account, no HD and no 3D. It was all Skin modifications. If the box you have is their commercial release device then it is a case of more false advertising and frankly the Kodi and wider community deserve better. We actually have to stop giving these types of devices free advertising. Its all bullshit.

https://github.com/J1nx-Hackable-Gadgets.../spartacus
If this is the correct link Venz have given us. I am going to ask again if you could ask Venz for the correct code for GPL compliance. The stuff I saw had a last commit dated mid August and looks hopelessly out of date.

Whilst we are on the GPL subject, your chart contains incorrect information and paints MINIX's U1 in an unfair light as you lump it in with VidOn.
This new MINIX device uses no VidON code that I know of. They use a custom MINIX edition of XBMC and the source code for that is freely available as Koying is the Author. This will be where their HD Audio stuff is coming from, I've seen it. The old NEO X-8H+ had an option to purchase a GPL Violating - VidOn edition of XBMC. This is where the confusion and mis-information is stemming from.
Hi there,
a quick question to Q10 owners: in case I do not need 7.1 audio and/or 3D (I have few movies with those features) and I use kodi's internal player (instead himedia's player), can I have a "seamless kodi experience" (e.g. full selection of subtitles and seen flag properly set) with the same image quality of the external player?
Thanks for answering, I am going to buy that but am really undecided,
Gio
(2015-12-06, 17:56)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Believe it can under Windows w/PDVD. You can use Cyberlink's BD & 3D Advisor to find out.

funny thing - I downloaded this tool last night onto the Stream Mini and it came up as a positive that I can play 3d blu rays.

I went through all the settings and they seem right. it almost looks like it is playing the iso in 3d but its not registering on the TV, will try again tonight on my W1070 projector and see if that makes a difference
(2015-12-09, 03:46)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-09, 01:37)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]So, I also got the Venz V8 TLBB OpenELEC box today, and... sadly, no HD audio and no 3D as promised. In contact with Venz to find out what's up. I have a box just out of factory production in China, so they may not have pushed latest update(s) necessary. At least, I hope so as this would be another bust. They're using a heavily customized version of OpenELEC & Kodi, maybe less so from a/v functionality end, but definitely from look/feel & settings end.
That confirms what I saw on their supposed GitHub account, no HD and no 3D. It was all Skin modifications. If the box you have is their commercial release device then it is a case of more false advertising and frankly the Kodi and wider community deserve better. We actually have to stop giving these types of devices free advertising. Its all bullshit.

https://github.com/J1nx-Hackable-Gadgets.../spartacus
If this is the correct link Venz have given us. I am going to ask again if you could ask Venz for the correct code for GPL compliance. The stuff I saw had a last commit dated mid August and looks hopelessly out of date.

Whilst we are on the GPL subject, your chart contains incorrect information and paints MINIX's U1 in an unfair light as you lump it in with VidOn.
This new MINIX device uses no VidON code that I know of. They use a custom MINIX edition of XBMC and the source code for that is freely available as Koying is the Author. This will be where their HD Audio stuff is coming from, I've seen it. The old NEO X-8H+ had an option to purchase a GPL Violating - VidOn edition of XBMC. This is where the confusion and mis-information is stemming from.

For the first time,i agree with youAngel