Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-03-21, 15:17)tate1293 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-20, 03:48)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]My review of 3D MVC w/Intel h/w under Windows now posted here.

The link here and in the OP goes to a "this specified thread does not exist". Was the thread moved?

Yep... it's here now.
Quote:Yes - the Pi 3 (and Pi 2 - not sure about Pi 0/1) play 3D ISOs and 3D MVC MKVs well and output 1080/24p Frame Packed Full HD resolution over HDMI (not HSBS or HTAB) 3D MVC MKV has been available for quite a while, 3D ISO is a bit more recent (the 3D Blu-ray ISO standard is non-trivial)
Hi

Is anyone able to let me know what the difference is between HSBS, HTAB and 3D MVC MKV's?
I converted a couple of the kids 3d movies to Half SBS. Was this the incorrect method to move them to my NAS?

Thanks
N
(2016-03-21, 17:29)nick w Wrote: [ -> ][quote='noggin' pid='2287152' dateline='1458492809']

Hi

Is anyone able to let me know what the difference is between HSBS, HTAB and 3D MVC MKV's?
I converted a couple of the kids 3d movies to Half SBS. Was this the incorrect method to move them to my NAS?

Thanks
N

You're losing half the resolution by converting to H-SBS. HTAB also loses half the resolution, but can look better for passive 1080P 3D TV's because you're losing only the vertical resolution, which would have been lost anyway. 3D MVC MKV/ISO are full Bluray quality rips with full 1080P to each eye.
The other thing I like about keeping files in MVC is that with HSBS and HTAB, you have to watch on 3D hardware, otherwise you get two images. With MVC I can keep one file on my server, and play it in 3D with Kodi, or 2D on all my other devices, even down to smartphones using Plex.
HSBS and HTAB basically have max resolution of 960x1080 and 1920x540, respectively. With MVC and frame-packed output, you're getting full 1920x1080 to each eye.
(2016-03-21, 17:46)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]@tate1293, HSBS and HTAB basically have max resolution of 960x1080 and 1920x540, respectively. With MVC and frame-packed output, you're getting full 1920x1080 to each eye. And, you're right, with MVC MKV or ISO, you can watch in 2D or 3D modes.

Isn't that what I just said? Big Grin
Initially mixed up my reply; fixed. Was trying to provide some screen rez #'s to supplement. Smile
(2016-03-21, 17:50)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Initially mixed up my reply; fixed. Was trying to provide some screen rez #'s to supplement. Smile

Ah yes... thanks
Old news already. I was starting to believe some of it, but I think 3D will live on... if it dies, it won't be tomorrow.

There are still a # of 3D releases theatrically, and more planned. 3D BD's are still being released... 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' 3D in Q4, and the animated hits 'Zootopia' and 'Kung-Fu Panda 3' to name a few. Don't forget there are 2 'Avatar' sequels already in pre-production.

List of upcoming theatrical 3D releases... so, not quite dead Wink.
I'm sure that in a few years they will be more than happy to sell new 4k 3d blu ray players and tvs. All with new hdmi standards etc.
I'm sure that in a few years they will be more than happy to sell new 4k 3d blu ray players and tvs. All with new hdmi standards etc.
Whats the correct naming convention for MVC 3d movies?

Thanks
N
(2016-03-22, 23:57)nick w Wrote: [ -> ]Whats the correct naming convention for MVC 3d movies?
Think it depends on how recent your Kodi build is.

Early Raspberry Pi builds with 3D MVC MKV playback support needed a workaround flagging them as HSBS or HTAB - which triggered Kodi to go into 3D mode (and the HSBS/HTAB bit was then ignored). This was in the days when MVC decode was new, and there wasn't an agreed flag for it. I think now 3D.MVC. in the file name works for MKVs. For ISOs I think playback works without any flags - though a flag may help with library scraping? (I may be wrong...)
(2016-03-23, 00:34)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-22, 23:57)nick w Wrote: [ -> ]Whats the correct naming convention for MVC 3d movies?
Think it depends on how recent your Kodi build is.

Early Raspberry Pi builds with 3D MVC MKV playback support needed a workaround flagging them as HSBS or HTAB - which triggered Kodi to go into 3D mode (and the HSBS/HTAB bit was then ignored). This was in the days when MVC decode was new, and there wasn't an agreed flag for it. I think now 3D.MVC. in the file name works for MKVs. For ISOs I think playback works without any flags - though a flag may help with library scraping? (I may be wrong...)

Awesome.
Thanks!

1 last question i promise.

The more i look at getting my set up ready for 3d content, the more question i think of.

I currently have 1 x MVC 3d file and 2 x HSBS files. I now am looking at what technology of 3d glasses to purchase. Passive or Active.
Am i right in thinking that the HSBS files wont work with active glasses?

Im not sure which to go with now, active or passive

Running on a Pi3 with latest MillHouse build

Thanks
N