Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-03-29, 18:10)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]All Done,The Intel NUC DN2820 going to be my ALL IN ONE KODI device, I am beginning to pull the plug of some on some of my devices.
Raspberry Pi2 ==Done
WeTek Core == Done
ZiDoo X5/6 Pro == Done
VidOn Box == Done

Still in service.
Minix NEO U1 == For BLURAY MENU Fonction with VidOn Kodi
ChromeBox == Still hanging in there until I complete the full migration to the Intel NUC
So you're replacing a more capable box (ChromeBox) with a less capable & less powerful one (NUC)? Huh

This thing is routinely available for $144 with a promo code. www.frys.com/product/8646880?

Basically the same HW as a ChromeBox, but more Windows friendly (if that's your gripe with the ChromeBox). It comes with a SSD, RAM, and a Windows license so it's better than a bare NUC for ~$100 IMHO.
Isn't the big difference between the N2820 (Bay Trail Celeron) and the 2955U (Haswell Celeron) that the Bay Trails support 3D MVC whereas the Haswell Celerons don't?

AIUI 3D MVC decode functionality was limited to Core i3 and above Haswells, with Celerons and Pentium Core-based devices (Haswell etc.) not supporting it? I'm happy to be proved wrong - but ISTR that 3D decode was one of the platform differentiators to drive people to Core-i3 etc.

I totally agree that there is zero point switching from a Haswell Celeron to a Bay Trail Celeron unless you want to use the new 3D MVC decode that has appeared in Windows Kodi recently. However given that this is a 3D thread that may well be the reason?
(2016-03-29, 22:44)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]anyone currently using a skin that supports atmos and dts:x flags that works with the latest 3D MVC windows test build?
I'm still trying to get my new NUC to work :\
But on my other HTPC, I use Aeon Madnox and it has support for Atmos/X flags. The best skin IMO Smile
(2016-03-30, 10:42)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't the big difference between the N2820 (Bay Trail Celeron) and the 2955U (Haswell Celeron) that the Bay Trails support 3D MVC whereas the Haswell Celerons don't?

AIUI 3D MVC decode functionality was limited to Core i3 and above Haswells, with Celerons and Pentium Core-based devices (Haswell etc.) not supporting it? I'm happy to be proved wrong - but ISTR that 3D decode was one of the platform differentiators to drive people to Core-i3 etc.

I totally agree that there is zero point switching from a Haswell Celeron to a Bay Trail Celeron unless you want to use the new 3D MVC decode that has appeared in Windows Kodi recently. However given that this is a 3D thread that may well be the reason?
You are probably right. I'm pretty sure the Haswell Celeron hardware actually supports it. Intel just has disabled it in the Windows drivers, though I suppose they could have used efuses or laser cut traces to disable it at the chip level.
(2016-03-30, 12:35)ArieS Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-29, 22:44)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]anyone currently using a skin that supports atmos and dts:x flags that works with the latest 3D MVC windows test build?
I'm still trying to get my new NUC to work :\
But on my other HTPC, I use Aeon Madnox and it has support for Atmos/X flags. The best skin IMO Smile

Mq7 has that support too.
Anyone know how to do this with bdmv files. It works with iso, mkv, but not sure which file to tag in bdmv..
HDMKV, you are the man! Thank you for doing all this in-depth research.
I bought a HiMedia Q5 Quad Core last year and love it. My only issue with
the unit is that it doesn't seem to support forced subtitles the way the Q5 pro
does. I guess I'll have to wait until the Q5 pro has all its bugs fixed and switch
to that.

Thank you for keeping us all informed!
(2016-03-30, 14:00)Stereodude Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-30, 10:42)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't the big difference between the N2820 (Bay Trail Celeron) and the 2955U (Haswell Celeron) that the Bay Trails support 3D MVC whereas the Haswell Celerons don't?

You are probably right. I'm pretty sure the Haswell Celeron hardware actually supports it. Intel just has disabled it in the Windows drivers, though I suppose they could have used efuses or laser cut traces to disable it at the chip level.

Intel didn't disable it in hardware. It's just a driver limitation in Windows. I tested setting frame-packed 3D 1080@24p output in Linux and it worked fine on the 2955U Chromebox. Based on their online database, they re-enabled it in Windows starting with the Broadwell Celerons like this one.

It's similar to the whole HD Audio passthrough issue where some chips work fine in Linux but not in Windows. No idea why Intel plays these games.
(2016-03-30, 21:59)wizziwig Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-30, 14:00)Stereodude Wrote: [ -> ]

Intel didn't disable it in hardware. It's just a driver limitation in Windows. I tested setting frame-packed 3D 1080@24p output in Linux and it worked fine on the 2955U Chromebox. Based on their online database, they re-enabled it in Windows starting with the Broadwell Celerons like this one.

It's similar to the whole HD Audio passthrough issue where some chips work fine in Linux but not in Windows. No idea why Intel plays these games.

Was it Frame Packed output or MVC decode that you checked? (Or is MVC decode done in software in Intel drivers rather than hardware?)
Same question here... You got MVC to work in Linux? Or, just verified MVC decoder being present?

@efernandejr, thanks. I've not verified forced subs working in full ISO rips however. In MKV's, they work fine.
(2016-03-30, 22:03)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-30, 21:59)wizziwig Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-30, 14:00)Stereodude Wrote: [ -> ]You are probably right. I'm pretty sure the Haswell Celeron hardware actually supports it. Intel just has disabled it in the Windows drivers, though I suppose they could have used efuses or laser cut traces to disable it at the chip level.

Was it Frame Packed output or MVC decode that you checked? (Or is MVC decode done in software in Intel drivers rather than hardware?)

Frame Packed output. I just compiled a small example command-line app from one of the Intel Linux SDKs and made it switch to that video mode and display a stereo image. My projector displayed it correctly and identified as FP 24p. I didn't test decoding MVC H264 in Linux. Supposedly it's supported in VAAPI but I'm not aware of anyone who's tried it. See here for supported codecs: https://github.com/gbeauchesne/gstreamer-vaapi
I thought it was 3D MVC decode that wasn't supported not Frame Packed output. Had assumed that was possible on all the Intels.
(2016-03-30, 23:12)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it was 3D MVC decode that wasn't supported not Frame Packed output. Had assumed that was possible on all the Intels.

iirc afedchin Said it should be possible in linux but he doesnt plan to work on it. .Fritsch said he thought it wouldnt work. Maybe he can chime in once more.
If they get 3D MVC to work on LINUS, that would be the end of China.
Thought Fritsch said Linux MVC decoder was like $5K. Forgetting which thread I read that in. Under Linux would be ideal w/OpenELEC.
(2016-03-30, 23:22)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Thought Fritsch said Linux MVC decoder was like $5K. Forgetting which thread I read that in. Under Linux would be ideal w/OpenELEC.

He mentioned some expensive server SDK.. not sure what that had to do with Intel graphics drivers..

im sure he knows a heck of alot more than me tho.