Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Passive glasses with 4K displays is the way to go. No questions about it.

Large screen home theatre projector set up with passive glasses is not that practical. Active glasses, single lens projector is probably the cost effective way for 3D.

This will bring back the issue with 60Hz glasses. All we really need is for those glasses to work at 120Hz per eye in order to get in sync. with 24fps.
(2016-04-01, 23:58)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]In another subject the hdtvtest.co.uk review the LG OLED65G6P HDR (US model) and they love the Passive 3D in 4K on this LG OLED.

While I don't have the money for an OLED, I did get a 2016 4K LG that has passive 3D, and I agree with everything they say about 3D. It's a much better experience than the active 3D I'm coming from, and on a 4K panel there's no loss of resolution.
Absolutely agree about Passive UHD being the way to go for direct view 3D. Full HD resolution and no flicker.
The article from the previous post regarding 3D Epson 6030 projector from here talks a lot about the eyestrain and flicker free projectors.
I'm on my second projector and I had my first since 2007. I believe there is small amount of UV light leaking from Metal Halide type of bulb passing through the filters and lens assembly. This UV light is contributing to eyestrain. When in 3D mode projector goes into full power mode to fight dark glasses increasing the amount of leaking UV light.

Nevertheless $2,000 to $3,000 projector will produce amazing 3D effect at 150" screen size filling the entire room. Just don't watch it for too long Wink
(2016-03-31, 15:31)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what it means, but guessing these lines?

Code:
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice

Those lines indicate support for the profiles needed for hardware MVC decoding. So decoding appears to be supported on this particular Haswell chip.

I'm guessing it's missing a developer to implement it in Kodi or ffmpeg.

You would also need a way to enable frame packed video mode on HDMI and a way to pass/signal those frames for display. I don't know enough about Linux Kodi implementation to say what's missing there.

A less cryptic response would have been appreciated. Huh
VAAPI can do it.
FFmpeg has no support as of now.
Kodi uses FFmpeg to decode video.
(2016-04-05, 16:21)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]VAAPI can do it.
FFmpeg has no support as of now.
Kodi uses FFmpeg to decode video.

Is the information that would be required to implement VAAPI support within ffmpeg in the public domain, or do you need an SDK?
Fingers crossed it's public Angel.
(2016-04-05, 18:29)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Fingers crossed it's public Angel.
I don't think there has been any change in status, both Libav and FFmpeg have no MVC decoding function. See this post: MVC support in Libav/FFmpeg
Figures... guess we're lucky to even be getting MVC support via Intel/Windows now. Maybe the only other possibility is nVidia, should they ever add MVC support to Shield.

And, HiMedia w/Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro, even though there are some annoying bugs at present (lip-sync error, and what appears to be 23.976 output at 23.946, causing frame skips every 33 secs... @BigPines just nailed down this as the cause).

In any case, I'm pretty darn happy w/MVC on Intel for now.
Thanks fritsch for confirming the problem.

Sounds like there is no chance of software MVC decoding with FFmpeg. Decoding in hardware using VAAPI should be possible (at least on Intel GPUs) once they add support to FFmpeg.

Incidentally, I ran vainfo on a Chromebox and it reports the same MVC profiles as other Haswell GPUs. So unlike Windows, you can decode and display MVC in Linux on these Celerons.
I just got the Intel decoding working using the experimental builds but haven't noticed the high quality that several people had mentioned. My raspberry pi 2 appears to play smoother and I didn't notice any other differences in quality. I used the settings from the first post linked, is there anything else I need to do to get a smoother playback? Thanks.
It's smooth when I set the sync to display setting...I thought that wasn't recommended though?
Right... I've been suggesting what devs have been suggesting:
Quote:Under Videos > Playback, enable 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video', but leave 'Sync playback to display' disabled.
For Pi it may not matter, but I believe it can break HD audio bitstreaming and possibly break 3D playback.