Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-04-14, 21:32)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]3D MVC is not new in Kodi, as it has has been available natively on Raspberry Pi for a while. On Windows, yes, very new, but we already have a large selection of compatible Intel h/w. Re: Kodi for the A/V expert, not just since last year. Chromebox has been a serious option since 2014, and prior to it, there were several HTPC options w/HD audio.

Re: illegal add-ons or streaming, it isn't just Kodi. Plex has it, as do other media center apps. There are Android apps, and even iOS apps, that have nothing to do with Kodi that have it. So, it is a misconception, a frickin' massive one, that Kodi = pirated streaming. I'd be totally fine Kodi got rid of video add-ons for good, similar to what MrMC has done to get Apple approval.

+1
Not to mention Kodi has been the movie/TV 'jukebox' standard Cloud Media, Dune, Mede8er all have always aspired to. It's like using Windows 10 vs. using Windows 3.1 Big Grin.
(2016-04-14, 21:52)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Not to mention Kodi has been the movie/TV 'jukebox' standard Cloud Media, Dune, Mede8er all have always aspired to. It's like using Windows 10 vs. using Windows 3.1 Big Grin.

LaughLaughLaughLaugh

Those jukebox garbage and their overprice Media players, Zapitti; Dune and Popcorn Hour make it even worse.
(2016-04-14, 21:32)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]3D MVC is not new in Kodi, as it has has been available natively on Raspberry Pi for a while. On Windows, yes, very new, but we already have a large selection of compatible Intel h/w. Re: Kodi for the A/V expert, not just since last year. Chromebox has been a serious option since 2014, and prior to it, there were several HTPC options w/HD audio.

Re: illegal add-ons or streaming, it isn't just Kodi. Plex has it, as do other media center apps. There are Android apps, and even iOS apps, that have nothing to do with Kodi that have it. So, it is a misconception, a frickin' massive one, that Kodi = pirated streaming. I'd be totally fine if Kodi got rid of video add-ons for good, similar to what MrMC has done to get Apple approval.

As I said less then a year first raspi milhouse build with 3d was 10 or so months ago first bluray 3d movie release 2010. So by all accounts 3d is something pretty new to any kodi release. As for the chromebox while a nice option no 3d. So from an AV expert standpoint what box would I put in a clients house that does it all. Chrombox with openelc does HD audio but no 3d. Rasppi does 3d but no HD audio. And yes there was several options with HD audio but you usually needed very specific GPU cards and I think at one point even certain AVR's did not work and then you were running external players for bluray films and such. As I said unless you visit the KODI forums every day to see what is new and what is working and what not from the outside it seems like a giant mess with no good solutions.

As I knew someone would point out the jukebox interface as it seems to be the go to when flaws are pointed out. Lets say I am showing my setup off to a couple of friends they want to check out a 3D movie so I fire up my rasppi and they see the interface and like it we check out a couple movies then they say is this with Atmos and I say no hold on I shut off the pi switch inputs fire up the chromebox they see that interface again and I start a non 3d movie this time with ATMOS. Then they ask why did you need to use a different setup. What part of the jukebox interface makes up for that. Being most of you in this thread live and breathe KODI you have no problem knowing what each boxes limitations are nor seem to have problems running multiple boxes.

I am a plex user and spend time on the forums over there while there is illegal add-ons the majority of plex users use it for the multi device and remote playback functions. Its not a hit on KODI that it had a bit of an identity crisis it has a well designed skinable interface. It had a well designed playback engine but no hardware that brought it all together in a perfect package. You have the hardcore a/v people wanting 3d/bitstream/frame sync the options with kodi were limited if you wanted it all in one. The android boxes tried to bridge the gaps but usually brought more headaches then good. So they looked at other solutions. Then you have the "netflix generation" who dont really care about quality and found the illegal add-ons that can be added to KODI they became the majority user painting the picture of how people see KODI today as they are the biggest voice out there. If the intel hardware finally allows 3D with HD audio and perfect frame rates it has finally achieved a goal I think where people would take a second look at it and you would bring back more hardcore A/V users that can then add their voice out there showing that its not just all about the add-ons.
@halfelite, I have respect for you as of the ol' Popcorn Hour days... but, to each their own. I disagree with parts of what you've said, agree w/other parts. Bottom line: There are options and users can go where they please based on their own priorities and what's important to them.
(2016-04-15, 02:29)halfelite Wrote: [ -> ]

Re: illegal add-ons or streaming, it isn't just Kodi. Plex has it, as do other media center apps. There are Android apps, and even iOS apps, that have nothing to do with Kodi that have it. So, it is a misconception, a frickin' massive one, that Kodi = pirated streaming. I'd be totally fine if Kodi got rid of video add-ons for good, similar to what MrMC has done to get Apple approval.

As I said less then a year first raspi milhouse build with 3d was 10 or so months ago first bluray 3d movie release 2010. So by all accounts 3d is something pretty new to any kodi release. As for the chromebox while a nice option no 3d. So from an AV expert standpoint what box would I put in a clients house that does it all. Chrombox with openelc does HD audio but no 3d. Rasppi does 3d but no HD audio. And yes there was several options with HD audio but you usually needed very specific GPU cards and I think at one point even certain AVR's did not work and then you were running external players for bluray films and such. As I said unless you visit the KODI forums every day to see what is new and what is working and what not from the outside it seems like a giant mess with no good solutions.

As I knew someone would point out the jukebox interface as it seems to be the go to when flaws are pointed out. Lets say I am showing my setup off to a couple of friends they want to check out a 3D movie so I fire up my rasppi and they see the interface and like it we check out a couple movies then they say is this with Atmos and I say no hold on I shut off the pi switch inputs fire up the chromebox they see that interface again and I start a non 3d movie this time with ATMOS. Then they ask why did you need to use a different setup. What part of the jukebox interface makes up for that. Being most of you in this thread live and breathe KODI you have no problem knowing what each boxes limitations are nor seem to have problems running multiple boxes.

I am a plex user and spend time on the forums over there while there is illegal add-ons the majority of plex users use it for the multi device and remote playback functions. Its not a hit on KODI that it had a bit of an identity crisis it has a well designed skinable interface. It had a well designed playback engine but no hardware that brought it all together in a perfect package. You have the hardcore a/v people wanting 3d/bitstream/frame sync the options with kodi were limited if you wanted it all in one. The android boxes tried to bridge the gaps but usually brought more headaches then good. So they looked at other solutions. Then you have the "netflix generation" who dont really care about quality and found the illegal add-ons that can be added to KODI they became the majority user painting the picture of how people see KODI today as they are the biggest voice out there. If the intel hardware finally allows 3D with HD audio and perfect frame rates it has finally achieved a goal I think where people would take a second look at it and you would bring back more hardcore A/V users that can then add their voice out there showing that its not just all about the add-ons.

This issue will be resolved once @afedchin 3D MVC build is properly well implemented into Kodi and I do understand your point, it is very annoying when you've switch inputs to different devices to play certain files.
(2016-04-15, 17:13)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]This issue will be resolved once @afedchin 3D MVC build is properly well implemented into Kodi and I do understand your point, it is very annoying when you've switch inputs to different devices to play certain files.

Does the Celeron 2955U in the Chromebox support MVC Decode and Frame Packed output? If so I don't see how the above issues can be solved (i.e. Chromebox = 2D + HD Audio bitstream inc Atmos/DTS:x and Raspberry Pi 3 = 3D MVC + HD Audio decoded to PCM and no Atmos/DTS:x) It's also non-trivial to install Windows on a Chromebox.

Or are you suggesting that ditching both and buying a different Intel platform is the solution once the issues with the Windows builds are resolved?
(2016-04-15, 17:17)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-15, 17:13)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]This issue will be resolved once @afedchin 3D MVC build is properly well implemented into Kodi and I do understand your point, it is very annoying when you've switch inputs to different devices to play certain files.

Does the Celeron 2955U in the Chromebox support MVC Decode and Frame Packed output? If so I don't see how the above issues can be solved (i.e. Chromebox = 2D + HD Audio bitstream inc Atmos/DTS:x and Raspberry Pi 3 = 3D MVC + HD Audio decoded to PCM and no Atmos/DTS:x) It's also non-trivial to install Windows on a Chromebox.

Or are you suggesting that ditching both and buying a different Intel platform is the solution once the issues with the Windows builds are resolved?

That is what I was referring to.
Right, a capable, compatible i3 or i5 w/Windows once this matures some more. But, w/my i3, it's already quite reliable. For now, there's also HiMedia Q10 Pro, which granted isn't using Kodi for playback, just jukebox, but it at least tries to marry the best of both worlds.
@hdmkv

Any plans in testing & reviewing the new Dune Solo 4k player?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
I'd do it just to see what the fuss is about if a review unit was sent to me, but not paying $360 for it. Haven't requested a review unit. Is it BD menus you're interested in, and 3D subs? Open Hour's VTEN is also a capable 3D player w/same Sigma SoC, but just can't do menus.
I have the VTEN remember :p
The Dune can dual boot into Android and Kodi or Linux

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Hello,

this is an interesting thread!
Cause, I'm looking since long time to find a solution, where I can play my 3D MKV MVC files via
Kodi instead of e.g. Stereoscopic player.

Until know, I didn't found a solution to output MKV MVC files as real 3D to beamer and/or TV.
How did you solve that?

Or does Kodi 16 deliver that now?

Sorry: I forgot the information, that I run Kodi on a IntelNuc i5 in Windows 7 64bit.
Kodi 17 MVC builds... as you already have an i5, just install Windows 10 and start enjoying...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
thank you very for this information!

Does that mean, I have to upgrade Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 10 to get 3D output on MKV MVC files?