Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We are getting off-topic, but to me (I'm sure opinions will vary) the .1 (the sub) is more crucial. With 7.1 (vs. 5.1), I do notice targeted surround effects in certain 7.1 BD rips, but whether it's really worth upgrading from 5.1, a very subjective call. Having a good sub however makes a huge difference as I recently discovered when I went for an Outlaw LFM-1 EX to pair with my budget Pioneer 'Andrew Jones' SP-series combo-tower/bookshelf 7.1 system.
Well,I have been testing the RPI2 for a while now. Playing all sorts of 3D MVC MKVs, also flipping the eyes and 2D Blu-Ray ISOs plus just about any sort of 2D and 3D files I had in my collection.

I have owned following 3D players: Mede8er Med10003XD and PopcornHour A-400

Result: This is by far the best player I have ever owned, it is reliable, fast and really does play absolutely everything - especially 3D is great (no problem with branched titles, starts immediately)
Plus all the Extras one gets with KODI, as the great library function and lovely skins etc.
It also uses a minimum of electricity and Picture Quality is great.

I have a LG 55LW4500 and an Epson EH-TW5910 projector connected through a Denon AVR-X4000 and no problems when it switches to 3D and back, or anything else.
I have switched off HDMI CEC though, since it caused problems, when I watch via projector - always switching on the TV ;-)

Should you be on the verge of buying a new player, I strongly believe this is the one you should get. To top it all off, it is by far the cheapest player you can get...
Couldn't decide, so keeping both 3D ISO and MVC MKV's in different shares on my NAS. If HiMedia fixes the audio sync issue on Q5, I may just stick with it, but I'm also using Pi2 more now with MVC MKV's. BTW, which Kodi skin are you using? I'm noticing a little slowdown with Arctic: Zephyr, but I have a 2K+ movie library and 50+ TV shows, plus lots of add-ons.
I have the Aeon Nox skin, but not many Add-ons
(2015-08-16, 23:48)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]More testing and I've narrowed my RPi2 issue to compatibility with my PJ... BenQ W1070. Basically, HDMI fed directly to it, or via my AVR, the PJ sometimes goes blank when trying to recover to Kodi UI ('Desktop' mode 1080p/60) after playing 2D or 3D content with other framerates (like 23.976). I don't get back to Kodi UI, so must force unplug/re-plug RPi2.

The issue occurs more often when stopping playback of a 3D BD rip (MVC MKV), or half-res SBS and T/B formats... blank screen. Took my RPi2 to another room where I fed it to a LG passive 3D LCD TV and no issues, whether direct HDMI or via AVR there as well.

Don't understand why this is happening with my PJ and just RPi2 as I had no issues in the past playing full 3D (having my BenQ W1070 switch to frame-packed mode, then my stopping playing, and having PJ return to 1080p/60). This was with Mede8er 600X3D and HiMedia Q5, but with RPi2, there's a problem. The issue is spotty; hard to replicate in the same manner, with the same files, at the same spots.

Anyone here with a RPi2 and BenQ W1070 combo?

(2015-08-18, 19:33)dchabby Wrote: [ -> ]i have a benq W1070 and a pi2 in my basement theatre area and haven't noticed any of those problems you are having, AVR is a Pioneer VSX-1022 k

I will have to check my setting though to see if I have 'sync playback', 'adjust display refresh rate' or OMXPlayer enabled.

sorry for the late reply but I do have sync playback and adjust display refresh rate enabled and OMXplayer disabled.

I am however having a weird issue connecting to my windows 8.1 desktop shares.

Didn't have an issue for the longest time and then out of the blue I cant access the shares anymore. It says connection timed out and then cannot connect to server.

The pi is definitely wired to my router as I have an IP address and I can see the pi from my desktop. I can even send files from my desktop to a usb drive plugged into the pi.

just cant figure out why all of a sudden it cant read shares.
Thanks... I finally got it working reliably (for the most part) with my BenQ W1070 PJ. I now have 'sync playback', 'adjust display refresh rate' and 'OMXplayer' all enabled.

To be safe, I removed all the overclock settings I had.

Don't ask me why, but one of the things throwing off my PJ was having 3D mode set to 'Ask Me' instead of 'Preferred Mode'.

With RPi2, I do notice some sluggishness when trying to do two things at once (like browsing movie library while PVR channels are being loaded or library is updating). Also, it's a bit slow to show Kodi UI (like 5-10 secs) after stopping a 3D movie. Finally, if I press remote/keyboard to show 'codecinfo' or menu soon after a movie starts (especially full 3D BD rips), it takes like 8-10 seconds to show up.

I really like the Pi2; just wish it was more powerful (or there was a pro version).
(2015-08-24, 18:50)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks... I finally got it working reliably (for the most part) with my BenQ W1070 PJ. I now have 'sync playback', 'adjust display refresh rate' and 'OMXplayer' all enabled.

To be safe, I removed all the overclock settings I had.

Don't ask me why, but one of the things throwing off my PJ was having 3D mode set to 'Ask Me' instead of 'Preferred Mode'.

With RPi2, I do notice some sluggishness when trying to do two things at once (like browsing movie library while PVR channels are being loaded or library is updating). Also, it's a bit slow to show Kodi UI (like 5-10 secs) after stopping a 3D movie. Finally, if I press remote/keyboard to show 'codecinfo' or menu soon after a movie starts (especially full 3D BD rips), it takes like 8-10 seconds to show up.

I really like the Pi2; just wish it was more powerful (or there was a pro version).

If you disable PVR does the normal playback reponsiveness improve?
I don't think I've ever seen 5-10s after stopping a 3D movie and displaying codec info is always instant for me.
Any different with Confluence as the skin?
Do you have an background updating add-ons running (the library watchdog add-on has been reported as causing issues).
Disabling PVR helps a little, and switching to Confluence helps some more. I'll play around with this, but I may just stick with Confluence and PVR, and video add-ons (with and w/o, will try both) as my final set-up.
(2015-08-24, 18:50)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]With RPi2, I do notice some sluggishness when trying to do two things at once (like browsing movie library while PVR channels are being loaded or library is updating).

In testing I can understand all this doing multiple things at once. But why do this in actual usage? You might start a library search and watch a film, all would be fine. So in actual usage this "sluggishness" would not really happen. Most would probably use the box to watch a movie and that is as slick as it can be.

Nearly all my 3D files are now converted to mvc mkv and am keeping the ISOs as backup for the future.

Sure there might be scenarios, where the PI slows down, but probably not in every day usage. Just to make sure that people are not being put off, in its function it is fast and reliable.
Do you guys notice a big difference in 3D quality between mvc and sbs formats?
Yes... with frame-packed MVC, you're getting full 1080 rez to each eye, but with SBS & T/B, you getting 1/2 that rez.
Unless to code to 4k SBS
(2015-08-26, 21:33)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Do you guys notice a big difference in 3D quality between mvc and sbs formats?

There is a difference - especially if you are projecting a large image. On a display, I personally do not really see the difference a lot - but - I am not getting any younger and probably should get some glasses ;-)
I'm using a 133" 16x9 screen and do notice a different with most movies; half-rez movies are a little softer, while full have more detail, sharpness. But, when I have guests over, they are happy no matter what quality stuff I throw up. But, we here tend to be more picky.
(2015-08-26, 21:33)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Do you guys notice a big difference in 3D quality between mvc and sbs formats?

Definitely. 960x1080 HSBS looks pretty soft on our UHD (and Passive 3D 2160x1080p resolution) display compared to MVC content which is full 1920x1080 resolution.