Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think his point is that a massive increase in bitrate doesn't necessarily result in a massive increase in listening experience for most listeners
(2015-03-19, 23:05)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]So VidOn box should get B+

The issue is those boxes don't use normal Kodi and its player to pull off a lot of those tricks. They are basically dead-ends longterm as far as getting any other improvements, while something that does everything using only Kodi like the Pi 2 is better off with almost every software update. Heck the VidOn box in particular uses a forked and now old version of the program to work. Even if they created another forked version for Helix as soon as Isengard comes out you are behind and maybe your favorite pluggin stops working after a while. It is a suboptimal solution Kodi-wise, but if you need 3D ISO playback maybe you stick it next to an optimal Kodi solution like a Chromebox on the same shelf until open-source libraries can do that sort of thing.

I can see it going either way, it depend on what the grades are for.

Are the grades for Kodi support (since this is a Kodi forum) or for some overall mediabox grade? That is for OP to decide. I do think if its the former and not the latter the Pi 2 should get the best grade.
(2015-03-19, 23:23)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-19, 23:05)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]So VidOn box should get B+

The issue is those boxes don't use normal Kodi and its player to pull off a lot of those tricks. They are basically dead-ends longterm as far as getting any other improvements, while something that does everything using only Kodi like the Pi 2 is better off with almost every software update. Heck the VidOn box in particular uses a forked and now old version of the program to work. Even if they created another forked version for Helix as soon as Isengard comes out you are behind and maybe your favorite pluggin stops working after a while. It is a suboptimal solution Kodi-wise, but if you need 3D ISO playback maybe you stick it next to an optimal Kodi solution like a Chromebox on the same shelf until open-source libraries can do that sort of thing.

I can see it going either way, it depend on what the grades are for.

Are the grades for Kodi support (since this is a Kodi forum) or for some overall mediabox grade? That is for OP to decide. I do think if its the former and not the latter the Pi 2 should get the best grade.

I use the VidOn box for my 3D ISO and Chromebox for 2D
I think ALL in one box doesn't exit yet.
(2015-03-19, 23:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I think his point is that a massive increase in bitrate doesn't necessarily result in a massive increase in listening experience for most listeners

Sure. Many people are happy with 128 mp3s. The 640 AC3 track gives them that or better per channel on a 5.1 setup. For most people that certainly is enough. Heck many people I know use the TV speaker. Then all this is irrelevant.
(2015-03-19, 23:28)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-03-19, 23:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I think his point is that a massive increase in bitrate doesn't necessarily result in a massive increase in listening experience for most listeners

Sure. Many people are happy with 128 mp3s. The 640 AC3 track gives them that or better per channel on a 5.1 setup. For most people that certainly is enough. Heck many people I know use the TV speaker. Then all this is irrelevant.

Not people on Kodi forumAngel
(2015-03-19, 23:27)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]I use the VidOn box for my 3D ISO and Chromebox for 2D

To me that is optimal.

Quote:I think ALL in one box doesn't exit yet.

I agree 100%. Heck if I can have any wish on this forum it is to crush the hopes of those who want a do-it-all box in early 2015. The sooner they realize you can't have that, the sooner they start looking for the best multi-device setup that works for them, like you have done.

In that light, maybe nothing is an A.
(2015-03-19, 23:07)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]The difference between True HD and AC3 is massive.
In file size / bitrate yes. In terms of audibility, no.
Why is no one working on Chromebox Bluray 3D iso playback supportHuhHuh
Support for generic platforms has to some from ffmpeg first.

The pi happens to have MVC decoding support in hardware. x86 cpus do not.
(2015-03-20, 03:01)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Support for generic platforms has to some from ffmpeg first.

The pi happens to have MVC decoding support in hardware. x86 cpus do not.
That's not really true. At least some of the Haswell CPUs have hardware capable of decoding MVC. Intel's drivers expose this functionality in Windows.
Well maybe with the pioneering work done on the pi code, maybe it will trickle into Haswell too.

But does anyone seriously run kodi on windows?
(2015-03-19, 22:57)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]I like this chart. A quick reference guide is important seeing as how quickly this market has grown. If it is ok I will link to this thread in my stickied thread.

Two pieces of feedback...
Yes to both, thanks. On a business trip, so will incorporate changes to first post and chart by next week.
(2015-03-20, 03:13)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Well maybe with the pioneering work done on the pi code, maybe it will trickle into Haswell too.

Wouldn't that be killer?!!! I did run Kodi on an Intel i3 NUC with Window 7 last year, but felt like a kludge (the OS, setting up external players, etc.).
(2015-03-20, 03:13)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Well maybe with the pioneering work done on the pi code, maybe it will trickle into Haswell too.

I am on windows
The only reason for that is, its the only way to have 3d iso + hd audio

Theres no other solution for that yet, so back to windows !
Updated post #1, including chart. If anyone has info I can fill in for Open Hour Chameleon, I'd appreciate it. For that matter, the RTD1195-based players as well.