Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-10-22, 00:28)ayteck Wrote: [ -> ]hi hdmkv, hi everyone

i have a pivos xios with linux since 2 years.. But now i want to upgrade it because it is really slow..

i am navigating in the forum couple of days but i am really confused Sad

i look some threads and i say to myself: "yes i must to buy chromebox"... After than in another thread i say; "no no it must be Raspberry Pi 2" etc etc...

as a result; i have nothing in my hand Smile Please help me..

-my price limit is up to 200$
-very important for me is audio issue it must be awosemo support (Passthrough and decode) i have Sony AVR and i am use it with this.
-and ofcourse speed

3D and 4k support is important but not deadly...
Also IR Remote is important but not deadly...

Which hardware is for me? chromebox? Intel NUC? HiMedia? RPi2 ? as you see i am really confused... so many options..
If you want just 2D, Chromebox w/standalone OpenELEC installed. If you need full 3D, then HiMedia Q5 or Raspberry Pi2. If you want 4K, then nVidia Shield, with no 3D. Sorry, there isn't a do-it-all media player (with 3D) yet.
Hdmkv, my granddaughter says she wants one of those hover boards.
Off-topic, so removed by self.
NUC always works, RPi2 is overrated as hell acording to me sure its amazing or its costs but the raw power is to low to handle heavy stuff.
And i understand you its like 100 different players to choose from and non is perfect

I think as of this day, the Nvidia shield android TV is the closest to perfect, along with a NUC
3D MEDIA PLAYER TESTING

This review is base on 3D viewing and HD Audio and Nothing else.
No SAMBA TESTING
No KODI UI
No GPL Violation
No External player.

AUDIO AND 3D RATINGS
100= Best 75= OK 50= AVERAGE 0=NOT GOOD

Hardware TESTED WITH

BENQ W1070 PROJECTOR 124” AND YAMAHA RX A3050 ATMOS/DTS X
3D MOVIE FOR TESTING = IMAX DEEP SEA 3D AND IMAX UNDER THE SEA 3D

3D MEDIA PLAYER
VIDON BOXZIDOO X6 PRORASPBERRY PI 2

1-VIDON BOX RATING = 95.5
BITSTREAM AUDIO= 100
DTS HD MA / DOLBY TRUEHD ATMOS
Surround Presentation= 100
Sound Consistence= 100

3D Presentation

Network Buffering Time = 95
Depth (Onscreen) = 95
Dimension = 95
Realism =100
Clarity/Detail =95
Color Reproduction = 95
IMAGE QUALITY= 80

2-ZIDOO X6 PRO RATING = 51.5

BITSTREAM AUDIO =75
DTS HD MA / DOLBY TRUEHD ATMOS
Surround Presentation: 50
Sound Consistence: 20 (out of Sync and Dropout)

3D Presentation

Network Buffering Time = 100
Depth (Onscreen) = 20
Dimension = 20
Realism = 20
Clarity/Detail = 50
Color Reproduction = 80
IMAGE QUALITY= 80

3-RASPBERRY PI 2 RATING = 73

BITSTREAM AUDIO: 0
PCM
Surround Presentation = 50
Sound Consistence =100

3D Presentation

Network Buffering Time= 50(A Few Buffering)
Depth (Onscreen) =95
Dimension: 95
Realism = 100
Clarity/Detail = 95
Color Reproduction = 95
IMAGE QUALITY= 50 (A Lot of Green pixelation)

The Himedia Q5 was not part of these testing,but on the little time i had with the Himedia Q5, I will rate it at 100
@movie78, very good test.
(2015-10-22, 11:57)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]No GPL Violation

The Himedia Q5 was not part of these testing,but on the little time i had with the Himedia Q5, I will rate it at 100

VidOn is a GPL violator; never released source code as far as I'm aware. Maybe I'm wrong; let me know. And, that score for VidOn is too high. PQ is on the soft side, box is slow, and firmware development is all but dead... box is at end of life IMHO. Look at their own forum; it's pretty dead there.

Score of 73 is too low for RPi2. I get none of the issues you note. Try different builds as Kodi 16 for Pi2 is still in Alpha, and as devs note, there will be issues here & there to iron out. Guessing you gave it '50' for surround as it doesn't bitstream HD audio? That's unfair as Pi2 is decoding DTS-MA and TrueHD bit for bit no different than your AVR is doing it. You're still getting lossless audio. Yes, I know metadata is lost for 7.1 into a 5.1 setup, no ATMOS and no DTS:X. But, there is only a paltry selection of BD's with these new audio formats, and only a niche audience has them (or will upgrade to them).

HiMedia Q5 doesn't get a 100. No media player does. I only want HiMedia to add 23.976 support for 3D ISO's as they already have for 2D. I can live with the other shortcomings, like VC-1 1080i not playing, lack of MKV chapter support, etc.
(2015-10-22, 13:33)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-22, 11:57)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]No GPL Violation

VidOn is a GPL violator; never released source code as far as I'm aware. Maybe I'm wrong; let me know. And, that score for VidOn is too high. PQ is on the soft side, box is slow, and firmware development is all but dead... box is at end of life IMHO. Look at their own forum; it's pretty dead there.

Score of 73 is too low for RPi2. I get none of the issues you note. Try different builds as Kodi 16 for Pi2 is still in Alpha, and as devs note, there will be issues here & there to iron out. Guessing you gave it '50' for surround as it doesn't bitstream HD audio? That's unfair as Pi2 is decoding DTS-MA and TrueHD bit for bit no different than your AVR is doing it. You're still getting lossless audio. Yes, I know metadata is lost for 7.1 into a 5.1 setup, no ATMOS and no DTS:X. But, there is only a paltry selection of BD's with these new audio formats, and only a niche audience has them (or will upgrade to them).

HiMedia Q5 doesn't get a 100. No media player does. I only want HiMedia to add 23.976 support for 3D ISO's as they already have for 2D. I can live with the other shortcomings, like VC-1 1080i not playing, lack of MKV chapter support, etc.

This Review is only base on 3D expirence and HD AUDIO,not how well the media player perform.
VidOn are still GPL violation,the review wasn't base on that.
Himedia Q5 get a 100,Because of the 3D picture quality and it can also Bitstream Audio.

This is just my point of view.
Has anybody try Himedia H8? I think there insn't a specific thread about it, but it's included in android box on first page table.
Getting a review unit next week & will start a thread unless someone beats me to it.
Thank you so much for all advise, i think Himedia Q5 4k is the best chose for me..

i wonder if we look just in terms of speed which device would you select?
Speed only as factor, probably HiMedia H8 or Zidoo X6 (newer, faster chip). Same chip in both.
(2015-10-22, 00:28)ayteck Wrote: [ -> ]hi hdmkv, hi everyone

i have a pivos xios with linux since 2 years.. But now i want to upgrade it because it is really slow..

i am navigating in the forum couple of days but i am really confused Sad

i look some threads and i say to myself: "yes i must to buy chromebox"... After than in another thread i say; "no no it must be Raspberry Pi 2" etc etc...

as a result; i have nothing in my hand Smile Please help me..

-my price limit is up to 200$
-very important for me is audio issue it must be awosemo support (Passthrough and decode) i have Sony AVR and i am use it with this.
-and ofcourse speed

3D and 4k support is important but not deadly...
Also IR Remote is important but not deadly...

Which hardware is for me? chromebox? Intel NUC? HiMedia? RPi2 ? as you see i am really confused... so many options..

(2015-10-22, 15:05)ayteck Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you so much for all advise, i think Himedia Q5 4k is the best chose for me..

i wonder if we look just in terms of speed which device would you select?

remember with Q5 you must use external player with kodi for audio HD and picture quality.
If not need 3d and want use internal kodi player( dvdplayer )chromebox or nvidia shiled is better choice.
Thank you for this warn @looun, did you mean i cant use kodi default player in Q5? or yes i can use, but without 3D and without HD/sorround audio?
You can use any Kodi in Q5, but it relies on HiPlayer as the external player to actually play all videos (and give you full 3D, HD audio).

If you opt NOT to install the HiMedia wrapper (in latest closed beta v3.0.2, it's pre-installed), then Kodi internal player will play videos, but w/o 3D and w/o HD audio.