Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-11-07, 22:52)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-07, 20:34)efernandejr Wrote: [ -> ]just a small hicup here and there which has been corrected along the way. Right now, my latest thing is I decided to convert all my MKVs to ISO for the chapter skipping support. Works great with blurays

In my opinion big mistake...
ISO is a CPU/Streamer intensive, and with HD audio and 3D some players will struggle to play without issues.

Just wait when you find seameless branched iso titles.

On the contrary MVC MKV is "ligther" especially with 3D and in my experience it runs with less issues.

I did exaclty the opposite, extract all my ISO to MKV.

I really like the MKV format a lot except that for my 3D titles, my media streamer (The HiMedia Quad Core Q5 4K3D)
doesn't play full 3D MVCs from MKV files. Only ISO. Also, as I just discovered, you can chapter search from the ISO
the old-fashioned way by just hitting the FF and Rev buttons as opposed to the MKV where you need to pull up a menu.
Part of the reason I'm setting this whole thing up is so my lady and I can watch our blu-rays without having to dig through
our DVD notebook (which is a major PITA cuz she never puts stuff back). I just want the experience to be as close to
watching a disc as possible except without the storage issues and unwanted commercials. I don't mind it being CPU
intensive. I mean, that's why I bought this thing in the first place.The unit will be on for a movie or two at a time. I'm literally
not using it for anything other than to replace my blu-ray player. I also took off the top of the streamer for improved air flow.

(2015-11-07, 23:20)3dgeek Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-07, 22:52)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]I did exaclty the opposite, extract all my ISO to MKV.

Same here and playback is absolutely perfect via network on Pi2.

My DTS-MA MKVs and ISOs (2D and 3D) run perfectly over my network. For some reason, however, Dolby Digital TrueHD
MKVs stutter and skip a lot unless you select to playback the standard DD5.1 track. I've tinkered with all my settings endlessly
and can't figure it out so I gave up and went with the ISO route, instead, and it's been fine since.
(2015-11-07, 23:35)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Mkv's support chapters, unless there is some special problem with mvc mkvs.

@nickr, if there's a way to get chapter support via the FF and REW buttons while playing a MKV. Lemme know. Don't hold out! lol
I think it supports chapter search through a menu which isn't worth it to me. For that, I'll just go with the ISO.
Just >| on my remote goes to next chapter. Also bookmarks gives a chapter list.
(2015-11-07, 23:41)efernandejr Wrote: [ -> ]I really like the MKV format a lot except that for my 3D titles, my media streamer (The HiMedia Quad Core Q5 4K3D) doesn't play full 3D MVCs from MKV files. Only ISO.

▲ This! For 3D, I've gone from ISO originally to MVC MKV when I had Mede8er X3D to ISO with HiMedia back to MVC MKV with Pi2, now back to ISO. LOL. I've saved all my MVC MKV's though on external hard drives so I don't have to re-rip my discs (if I change my mind again).

Bottom line is don't want to put all eggs in one basket (like doing only MVC MKV's for Pi2) as ISO's seem to have wider compatibility as far as 3D players go.
I have just installed Openelec on my HTPC, can someone definitively answer if full 3D BD ISO can be played on OpenElec Kodi, cause I cant seem to clarify, the chart on the first page seems to suggest it can but reading elsewhere suggests otherwise

thanks
(2015-11-08, 13:57)nm10721 Wrote: [ -> ]I have just installed Openelec on my HTPC, can someone definitively answer if full 3D BD ISO can be played on OpenElec Kodi, cause I cant seem to clarify, the chart on the first page seems to suggest it can but reading elsewhere suggests otherwise

thanks

No!

Only on Raspberry Pi2
thanks mate, in simple terms whats the reason for that?
(2015-11-08, 14:06)nm10721 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks mate, in simple terms whats the reason for that?

The Pi / Pi 2 is the only platform that supports MVC 3D hardware decode within Kodi, and there is no Open Source software MVC decode. All other platforms require external players IF the hardware supports them OR they are using non-GPL friendly forks and not releasing their sources...
thanks appreciated, think i'll just get rid of my HTPC and get a Rasberry PI2 then
(2015-11-08, 14:32)nm10721 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks appreciated, think i'll just get rid of my HTPC and get a Rasberry PI2 then

If you run an HTPC you'll need Windows and a processor which has 3D support (this used to be the Core i3-7 series - but now some Atom-type Celerons support it too I believe?)

Pi 2 is best bet for OpenElec/Linux 3D.
Did several tests yesterday on Pi2 & I'm finding it plays MVC MKV noticeably better than 3D ISO (maybe because it requires more headroom, making it more CPU intensive). My Pi2 wasn't overclocked.

One example is 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' 3D disc, which I ripped separately to both containers. In the intro sequence with the barrage of action, chase, explosions, etc., Pi2 stuttered some & seemed to have a hard time keeping up. Played MVC MKV of same & played smoothly. Both over wired SMB via my Synology NAS. Just to rules out ISO as being the issue, played it via HiMedia Q5 and smooth playback.

Anyone else finding this? If so, are you using SMB, and have you tried via NFS to see if that helps?
Could be a seamless branching issue. Have you tried converting the mkv back to an iso to see if it's the structure of the iso?
No as my ISO's are movie-only just like MVC MKV's. I use tsMuxeR to build ISO.
@hdmkv: According to Koying, Zidoo X6 is using RockChip's player for Kodi playback - Zidoo X6 External Player. You may want to update your comparison table with this information.
(2015-11-08, 21:01)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]@hdmkv: According to Koying, Zidoo X6 is using RockChip's player for Kodi playback - Zidoo X6 External Player. You may want to update your comparison table with this information.
That's seems strange because when you press o in film playback you get the same output as kodi.