Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Different Profiles and Content Structure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am just setting up my first KODI library. So far I have successfully imported most of my CDs and a few TV Shows ripped from DVDs. I have yet to try Movies and ripped BluRay content. Before I start the hours and hours of copying and importing all my ripped media content (I have many thousand DVDs and BRs) I want to make certain I structure my content properly.

I am only going to have TV Shows, Movies and Music (maybe later I will try some Music Videos). For the regular (Default) user (that is myself when watching stuff and my family all the time) I only want to be able to access those three elements through the Horizontal Menu Bar of Confluence, i.e. I dont want the Pictures, Videos, Programs and System elements visible. At the same time I'd like the option, as a Master User, to have the default options available to me when doing library maintenance.

1. Can the above be done using the System>Profiles options?
2. How would I go from Default User to Master User?

I dare not experiment with this myself for fear of somehow loosing elements or locking myself out, that's why I ask for help from the experts! Smile

Christopher

PS I have all my content in a special KODI file on my NAS. I have one subfolder called Music, and one called Video. The Video folder contains a Movies and a TV Shows folder. Since I will not have any Video content, could/should I move the Movies and a TV Shows folders directly into the KODI folder rather than keep them as subfolders in the Video folder? I am asking because I want to not have to see the Videos item on the menu bar.

PPS I am hoping to be able to watch Netflix and similar services through KODI, but have not yet researched if/how this is possible. If this is possible, would they be available through the Programs item of the main menu bar? If so I'll probably keep it or reintroduce it later...
If you set up the profiles (wiki) to share the library then you should be able to do this. One profile will have your skin settings that hide extra options, and the other will show the extra options, and both will have the same library.
(2015-03-19, 09:53)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]If you set up the profiles (wiki) to share the library then you should be able to do this. One profile will have your skin settings that hide extra options, and the other will show the extra options, and both will have the same library.

Great, thanks, that's what I want to achieve, I'll give it a try Smile
Hi,

I am struggling a bit with how to operate with profiles. I basically want two profiles, one for me (with all options visible) and one for the family with only Movies, TV Shows and Music available on the main screen. With two teenagers in the house, and a technologically challenged wife, having the Programs and System items available is a recipe for disaster. Also, since I don't (initially at least) want to store photographs in a folder available to KODI I don't want this item (Pictures) available. As for the Videos item, I don't really know what this is for. Is it for Home Videos (which I don't have) or Music Videos (I don't really have those either).

So what I want to achieve is the following:

1. When I first start KODI it automatically launches the Family profile, without any need for log on
2. The Main Menu items should be only Movies, TV Shows and Music
3. It should somehow be possible to select the Master User profile
4. The Master User profile should have password protection

Is this possible? How would I go about selecting Master User if there is no settings option available?
You should be able to access the "log out" option from the shutdown menu/button.
(2015-03-22, 18:52)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to access the "log out" option from the shutdown menu/button.

You are right! I needed to restart the HTPC to get that to work.Smile

So how do I go about removing the Main Menu items for the Family profile? Huh
The default skin, Confluence, will let you remove most things using the skin settings (Settings -> Appearance -> Skin -> Skin settings -> Home menu). However, Confluence doesn't have an option to hide settings. Other skins have this setting, but if you like the look of Confluence then you can use a modified version: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212898