Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fire TV 1080p MKV's over wireless. How possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I have tried every setting available here. Each changes the way the file plays but over all still buffering issues.

I am sharing the media from my HTPC (also running Kodi) to my Fire TV via SMB wirelessly.

Is there hope? Will moving my wireless router closer to that room help? LAN is an option if needed but rather use Wi-Fi.

Thanks for the help.
Really ditch wifi.
Some have said that a dual band router helps.

To check how strong of a signal you are getting you can download a free app from the android market called, wifi analyzer. It will tell you if you have a strong enough signal in the room. It will also tell you if you should switch channels. Most routers default to channel 1, 6 or 11. If you have a lot of neighbors you will want to try and figure out which channels has the least amount of traffic. To change the channel, grab the ip address listed on your router or modem, and enter it into your web browser, the uid and password should also be listed on the router/modem. Inside the router's web interface/GUI you will be able to find a setting to change the channel that you are on.

Now that the ac routers are getting cheaper, I'm thinking about trying one out to see if I can get some better bandwith and signal strength.
Yep. I've read that users have far, far less issues with AC (5Ghz) than 2.4Ghz.
(2015-03-20, 11:37)quicksterdnb Wrote: [ -> ]Some have said that a dual band router helps.

To check how strong of a signal you are getting you can download a free app from the android market called, wifi analyzer. It will tell you if you have a strong enough signal in the room. It will also tell you if you should switch channels. Most routers default to channel 1, 6 or 11. If you have a lot of neighbors you will want to try and figure out which channels has the least amount of traffic. To change the channel, grab the ip address listed on your router or modem, and enter it into your web browser, the uid and password should also be listed on the router/modem. Inside the router's web interface/GUI you will be able to find a setting to change the channel that you are on.

Now that the ac routers are getting cheaper, I'm thinking about trying one out to see if I can get some better bandwith and signal strength.

Thanks for the tips. I think it may be time to upgrade my DLink DIR-655 router.
I have no trouble on my 5ghz network. Server and firetv are both on wifi.
(2015-03-21, 01:19)jbaconbits Wrote: [ -> ]I have no trouble on my 5ghz network. Server and firetv are both on wifi.

I don't think my router offers this option. My weekend project is to move my router from the front room to one room closer to the bedroom in the back of our house where the Fire TV is.

If this doesn't work I still always have Plex as a backup, I just have to pay another $4.99 for the app through Amazon to load it on the FTV. I already have it on mine and my SO's phone. But I already have a few routers picked out if I do end up upgrading.